GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on Catch Can Options

GoddyB

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting. It would stand to reason then, as the mileage increases, so to the amount of oil. I'd still prefer that there be none there at all. Plus, replacing the problematic OEM PCV with an aftermarket adapter ie Africa plate, 034 Motorsport is the one I'm using, is imo, an improvement.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Interesting. It would stand to reason then, as the mileage increases, so to the amount of oil.

You're making assumptions withoht any real data. The engine consumes the oil without issue by design. I'm not sure that you can make the correlation of increased mileage=more oil consumption. Too many variables... Maintenance... Engine health...driving habits.

I notice that in these conversations alot of people like to "grasp" at justifications for the purchase

GoddyB

Passed Driver's Ed
You're making assumptions withoht any real data. The engine consumes the oil without issue by design. I'm not sure that you can make the correlation of increased mileage=more oil consumption. Too many variables... Maintenance... Engine health...driving habits.

I notice that in these conversations alot of people like to "grasp" at justifications for the purchase

You are correct in saying I have no data, and I agree with you that there are many variables, I only speak from my own experiences. Known possible faults with the OEM PCV, without cc setup their is oil getting through the turbo outlet and into the intercooler, with cc, no oil whatsoever.

Also, their may be ppl who try and justify their purchases but I can assure you I am not one of them; if I do a mod to my car, I have to see an improvement or its gone

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Have you seen the nasty Coffee/poop they pull out? Id prefer not having that go back into my intake and work its way all the way back to the intercooler clogging up shit.
I agree! I'm stoked that this krap is not recirculating back into my turbo and the IC pipes.

I for one say that they do work. Before my cc setup, I was forever changing out the little in line filters in the vac line of my Podi boost gauge but since I fitted the cc I haven't had to change one! .........
I agree and posted some pics of my Podi filter with and without the ECS catch can on another thread. It works....in keeping your boost gauge line clean, period.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101651

I ran a catch can (034) for a few years, a trusted mechanic said it's not worth it with our cars, the pcv system sucks and it's just an issue with the cars, and I'm happy that I don't have to empty the stupid thing all the time anymore.
Yeah, the maintenance thing is something to consider, big time. Don't buy one if you can't even do your own oil change. Hell, don't do any mods for that matter. j/k :p

My thought is it's a waste of time. Save your money for real mods.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
This was my thought when I first started reading the catch can debates here and on many other forums. I gave in and bought one and I'm happy with it. It's my car so I'll do wa I want :D

I notice that in these conversations a lot of people like to "grasp" at justifications for the purchase
Very true! My justification was to eliminate the oil blow-by going into my boost gauge and it completely works at doing this. :thumbup: Sure, I could've just removed/sold my boost gauge and called it a day but I love my Podi :)

My advice, do you own research and buy one if it's right for you or skip it and move on to the next mod. :burnrubber:

GoddyB

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree! I'm stoked that this krap is not recirculating back into my turbo and the IC pipes.

I agree and posted some pics of my Podi filter with and without the ECS catch can on another thread. It works....in keeping your boost gauge line clean, period.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101651

Yeah, the maintenance thing is something to consider, big time. Don't buy one if you can't even do your own oil change. Hell, don't do any mods for that matter. j/k :p

This was my thought when I first started reading the catch can debates here and on many other forums. I gave in and bought one and I'm happy with it. It's my car so I'll do wa I want :D

Very true! My justification was to eliminate the oil blow-by going into my boost gauge and it completely works at doing this. :thumbup: Sure, I could've just removed/sold my boost gauge and called it a day but I love my Podi :)

My advice, do you own research and buy one if it's right for you or skip it and move on to the next mod. :burnrubber:

Ha ha too funny! Yeah I open the drain valve at the bottom, oil drains out, so much effort I can't take it!!!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
The ECS TSI Catch Can offering looks like it may be the best option yet. While many of these catch cans eliminate the breather tube from the OEM PCV to the manifold and the OEM PCV "Africa" plate, I still don't believe their aftermarket catch can check valves or filtration is as good as the OEM PCV. The OEM PCV typically craps out because the check valve is subjected to higher boost levels once tuned causing it to fail prematurely. The ECS TSI Catch Can blocks the front port to eliminate boost and filters blow-by crankcase pressure after the OEM PCV does it's job (whatever that represents). The ECS TSI Catch Can baffles (waffle plates) filter the blow-by crankcase pressure vertically and then horizontally on the inlet of the catch can then horizontally and vertically as it exits the catch can. I believe this will also lead to less frozen catch cans in the winter since the typical cylindrical baffle in aftermarket catch cans run to the bottom of most cans allowing partial to full blockage. Time will tell but I think filtering pre-turbo inlet is a better design.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
@Blaznjoe

so now I'm lazy and don't know how to work on cars?

you're only right on one of those points bud.

Lol! Nah dude! Not directing the opinion at you. Just noting the added maintenance is something to consider to future buyers who choose this route then ending with added comedic note. Yeah, I'm not a comedian and I'll keep my day job. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone SexS using Tapatalk

GoddyB

Passed Driver's Ed
The ECS TSI Catch Can offering looks like it may be the best option yet. While many of these catch cans eliminate the breather tube from the OEM PCV to the manifold and the OEM PCV "Africa" plate, I still don't believe their aftermarket catch can check valves or filtration is as good as the OEM PCV. The OEM PCV typically craps out because the check valve is subjected to higher boost levels once tuned causing it to fail prematurely. The ECS TSI Catch Can blocks the front port to eliminate boost and filters blow-by crankcase pressure after the OEM PCV does it's job (whatever that represents). The ECS TSI Catch Can baffles (waffle plates) filter the blow-by crankcase pressure vertically and then horizontally on the inlet of the catch can then horizontally and vertically as it exits the catch can. I believe this will also lead to less frozen catch cans in the winter since the typical cylindrical baffle in aftermarket catch cans run to the bottom of most cans allowing partial to full blockage. Time will tell but I think filtering pre-turbo inlet is a better design.

Might look into this in the future, my current setup (034 Africa plate & 42DD Ultimate Catch Can) seems to be doing the job. Went with 42DD cause it had a more universal mounting bracket(s) as I have a charcoal canister on the right, so ended up mounting it to the outside of the Unitronic intake shield (see pic). I would need to modify the ecs bracket if I went this way.

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
I haven't ran a catch can on my GTI now, but I made one for a 12v VR6. I was amazed at how much oil was being dumped into the intake so the catch can worked well. But I don't know if the price justifies buying one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St3ph3nsvw12GTI

Ready to race!
Might look into this in the future, my current setup (034 Africa plate & 42DD Ultimate Catch Can) seems to be doing the job. Went with 42DD cause it had a more universal mounting bracket(s) as I have a charcoal canister on the right, so ended up mounting it to the outside of the Unitronic intake shield (see pic). I would need to modify the ecs bracket if I went this way.

How do you like the setup? Any modifications? Was thinking about getting a 42dd can but didn't come with an Africa plate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk