GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner, AP and Cobb high flow filter?

ironskillet

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys - first let me say thank you for the information posted on this forum. I'm new to the gti mk6 world, having just bought a 2011. 65K on it, locally driven, wasn't given hell. I @#%@ love it. My first car was a '74 beetle. My GTI is just a weeeeee bit faster. I love that my GTI was made in Wolfsburg, but I digress...

Anyway, I've just bought (and waiting for) the Cobb AP and high flow filter to arrive. My first question is - are there any gains to be expected from the high flow filter, or is a filter a filter? Does anyone have any experience with these?

Secondly, running the AP at stg 1, would you recommend me flashing at hi boost with the high flow filter or no? The car is otherwise stock...not for long.

Finally, would you recommend me doing anything, checking anything before installation of the AP?

Thanks in advance.

TesseracT

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey iron!

I don't post here often but was in a similar spot to you a little over a year ago. GTI's are a TON of fun! You're gonna love Stage 1.

To answer your first question: you are getting a tune from COBB that is optimized for that high flow filter. The specifications of said topic are up for debate, but you can be sure that you will get the closest performance to their off-the-shelf maps by using that filter. The general opinion is that for the stock K03 turbo, the intake is not where significant/measurable gains will be made (at least when compared to the simple remap that you're getting through the AP).

Secondly, the most important suggestions you will get are:
  1. Coil packs / spark plugs for the increased load/demand that comes with a Tune
  2. An updated Clutch Kit for Manual Transmission Owners
  3. Good tires to help put the power down!

All of this info is waiting for you on the forum.

Good hunting

Last edited:

ironskillet

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey iron!

I don't post here often but was in a similar spot to you a little over a year ago. GTI's are a TON of fun! You're gonna love Stage 1.

To answer your first question: you are getting a tune from COBB that is optimized for that high flow filter. The specifications of said topic are up for debate, but you can be sure that you will get the closest performance to their off-the-shelf maps by using that filter. The general opinion is that for the stock K03 turbo, the intake is not where significant/measurable gains will be made (at least when compared to the simple remap that you're getting through the AP).

1. Coil packs / spark plugs for the increased load/demand that comes with a Tune

Good hunting

Much appreciated info. Looking at the R8 coil pack, looks like a simple install that even a bone head like me could do. Any suggestions on an updated clutch?
PS: I promise not to sticker up my windows with 'illest'.

TesseracT

Passed Driver's Ed
Much appreciated info. Looking at the R8 coil pack, looks like a simple install that even a bone head like me could do. Any suggestions on an updated clutch?
PS: I promise not to sticker up my windows with 'illest'.

See my sig for the RSR Clutch :^)

Also... stickers can be cool! If you're like me, however, there's something special about keeping that Mk6 clean and mature

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Hey iron!

Good hunting

Dutch? Lol

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Hi guys - first let me say thank you for the information posted on this forum. I'm new to the gti mk6 world, having just bought a 2011. 65K on it, locally driven, wasn't given hell. I @#%@ love it. My first car was a '74 beetle. My GTI is just a weeeeee bit faster. I love that my GTI was made in Wolfsburg, but I digress...

Anyway, I've just bought (and waiting for) the Cobb AP and high flow filter to arrive. My first question is - are there any gains to be expected from the high flow filter, or is a filter a filter? Does anyone have any experience with these?

Secondly, running the AP at stg 1, would you recommend me flashing at hi boost with the high flow filter or no? The car is otherwise stock...not for long.

Finally, would you recommend me doing anything, checking anything before installation of the AP?

Thanks in advance.

Hey man welcome. I have the AP and an ECS intake. Running stage 1 and I can absolutely feel the difference although the OTS maps are designed to operate the best with COBB's hardware. I did call prior to ordering and asked if my intake would work and the rep explained that it should run efficiently enough and would not throw codes due to the close measurements the two intakes had.
Definitely swap coil packs and plugs, pick up a spare high pressure fuel pump and even a cam follower just to have if you have an older model. The high boost tune (93 octane) is night and day to stock but the reality is the faster and stronger the car is, the more fuel she needs to perform so keep an eye on that gas needle. [emoji1360]

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Hey iron!

Good hunting

Just so you're aware, the regular Stage 1 tunes do not require an intake at all. Only Stage 1+ and Stage 2 require the high(er) flow intake. R8 coil packs (and the accompanying spark plugs) are definitely a must, as you're almost guaranteed to blow a stock coil and misfire. The install is insanely easy, so don't worry. HS Tuning sells a well priced kit that gives you all the parts you need. After some research, I personally went with R8 coils and BKR7EIX spark plugs.

As for the clutch, there are a lot of different options there. The HS Tuning RSR is a great clutch, though a little on the pricey side. I personally run the same clutch, just pieced together in DIY form to make it about $4-500 cheaper. The stock GTI clutch is good for 250 lb-ft, so Stage 1 alone blows past there. My recommendation is to see how your clutch handles the power first. If you start to slip, then you can look into getting a new clutch.

Also, for the record, you won't need a high pressure fuel pump or a cam follower, as all MK6s run TSI engines. Those mods were only needed on MK5s with FSI engines.

ironskillet

Passed Driver's Ed
Just so you're aware, the regular Stage 1 tunes do not require an intake at all. Only Stage 1+ and Stage 2 require the high(er) flow intake. R8 coil packs (and the accompanying spark plugs) are definitely a must, as you're almost guaranteed to blow a stock coil and misfire. The install is insanely easy, so don't worry. HS Tuning sells a well priced kit that gives you all the parts you need. After some research, I personally went with R8 coils and BKR7EIX spark plugs.

As for the clutch, there are a lot of different options there. The HS Tuning RSR is a great clutch, though a little on the pricey side. I personally run the same clutch, just pieced together in DIY form to make it about $4-500 cheaper. The stock GTI clutch is good for 250 lb-ft, so Stage 1 alone blows past there. My recommendation is to see how your clutch handles the power first. If you start to slip, then you can look into getting a new clutch.

Also, for the record, you won't need a high pressure fuel pump or a cam follower, as all MK6s run TSI engines. Those mods were only needed on MK5s with FSI engines.

Thanks for this, guys! This is exactly the info that I was hoping to find in posting this. Coil packs and plugs, here I come.

ironskillet

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey man welcome. I have the AP and an ECS intake. Running stage 1 and I can absolutely feel the difference although the OTS maps are designed to operate the best with COBB's hardware. I did call prior to ordering and asked if my intake would work and the rep explained that it should run efficiently enough and would not throw codes due to the close measurements the two intakes had.
Definitely swap coil packs and plugs, pick up a spare high pressure fuel pump and even a cam follower just to have if you have an older model. The high boost tune (93 octane) is night and day to stock but the reality is the faster and stronger the car is, the more fuel she needs to perform so keep an eye on that gas needle. [emoji1360]

Glad to know this on the intake. I was looking at the Neuspeed short ram intake, but think I'll hold out till I can dish out more for the cobb CAI. This car is going to eat my paychecks.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Glad to know this on the intake. I was looking at the Neuspeed short ram intake, but think I'll hold out till I can dish out more for the cobb CAI. This car is going to eat my paychecks.

Just call COBB before you pull the trigger on any certain intake and see what they can come up with. If you can find a local COBB authorized shop they can make a map for the AP for your hardware. This car is going to make you broke if you don't pace yourself. Just do your research and always check the forums. HPFP isn't necessary by any means, I suggested it and the cam follower as they're somewhat known to fail. Not necessary for the mods but once you start pushing the car harder those are 2 out of several things to keep an eye on when it comes to the TSI.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Cobb has already mentioned they're coming out with an update for files with aftermarket intakes other than their own. There's no ETA at the moment, but rest assured a fix is coming.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
which intakes? I've already amassed a few non Cobb intake calibrations

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ECS Tuning Luft Technik Kohlfaser? It uses the stock MAF portion and is 3" all the way to the turbo? Similar to the COBB intake.