GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner, AP and Cobb high flow filter?

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
ECS Tuning Luft Technik Kohlfaser? It uses the stock MAF portion and is 3" all the way to the turbo? Similar to the COBB intake.
have you checked you trims with that intake? shouldn't be off much if it's stock housing size

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Plasmamuffins

Passed Driver's Ed
Just so you're aware, the regular Stage 1 tunes do not require an intake at all. Only Stage 1+ and Stage 2 require the high(er) flow intake. R8 coil packs (and the accompanying spark plugs) are definitely a must, as you're almost guaranteed to blow a stock coil and misfire. The install is insanely easy, so don't worry. HS Tuning sells a well priced kit that gives you all the parts you need. After some research, I personally went with R8 coils and BKR7EIX spark plugs.

As for the clutch, there are a lot of different options there. The HS Tuning RSR is a great clutch, though a little on the pricey side. I personally run the same clutch, just pieced together in DIY form to make it about $4-500 cheaper. The stock GTI clutch is good for 250 lb-ft, so Stage 1 alone blows past there. My recommendation is to see how your clutch handles the power first. If you start to slip, then you can look into getting a new clutch.

Also, for the record, you won't need a high pressure fuel pump or a cam follower, as all MK6s run TSI engines. Those mods were only needed on MK5s with FSI engines.

I just got a Mk6 as well and I need a clutch, would you mind linking me wherever you sourced the parts for the RSR clutch? Thank you so much.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
have you checked you trims with that intake? shouldn't be off much if it's stock housing size

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Shouldn't be off with Stage 1+ or do you mean just Stage 1?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Shouldn't be off with Stage 1+ or do you mean just Stage 1?

I think everyone is concerned about trims because the Stage 1+(and 2) file is designed with their larger MAF housing which is larger than Stock. So people are concerned that they will get some weird fuel trims if they dont use Cobbs intake on the Stage 1+ or Stage 2.

The regular stage 1 (hi or low boost) are designed to be used with the OEM maf housing/size.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I think everyone is concerned about trims because the Stage 1+(and 2) file is designed with their larger MAF housing which is larger than Stock. So people are concerned that they will get some weird fuel trims if they dont use Cobbs intake on the Stage 1+ or Stage 2.

The regular stage 1 (hi or low boost) are designed to be used with the OEM maf housing/size.

Correct, a rep from COBB told me as long as the MAF portion is OEM, you should be ok on all stage 1 maps.

siupo1281

Ready to race!
I have the cts intake and running stage 1+, it's running fine.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I just got a Mk6 as well and I need a clutch, would you mind linking me wherever you sourced the parts for the RSR clutch? Thank you so much.

I will post them today in the build your own RSR thread. I've had a couple people ask me for them, but I don't want to hijack anyone's thread

ironskillet

Passed Driver's Ed
Little update: According to the advice found on this section, I first installed the R8 coilpacks and plugs and Cobb's high flow filter. The only noticeable difference at that point is a lower throaty engine sound. Maybe a bit more responsive. I installed the AP at stage 1 91 and noticed big gains in throttle response off the line and especially in high rpms. Today I reflashed to stg 1, hi boost and as advertised, it pulls like crazy (for me, having driven a host of slow cars). Love that I can watch the gauges with the AP hooked up, and learning all the bells and whistles it has to offer. I was glad to see a small power button on the top, so that if you wish to leave it mounted, you can turn it off when your car is off. I do think I'll be stashing it in the box at any rate. So far, I'm happy.

ironskillet

Passed Driver's Ed
New update - today I installed the Cobb big SF cold air intake and am running the Stage 1+ 91 map. So far, so good - knock on wood. Install was a @^&%, especially fitting the rubber coupler to the turbo. Have to get it just so. I'm not noticing any fuel trim issues yet, but I'll be on the lookout. I know other folks were having trouble and used the air straightener to address it. After installing the intake and remapping it to Stg 1+, I did notice some gurgling and vibration, maybe a misfire as the car warmed up. Hoping that was just a first-crank-up settling in. Ran like a top afterward.
Cobb sent a stickers with the parts, so those will make me faster for sure ;) Not sure what to do with them.

What do ya'll tend to do with your OEM parts when you update your engines?