GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Intercooler Efficiency Discussion

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Let's discuss the GTI OEM intercooler for a minute. I have pushed our development vehicle pretty hard to find issues with boundary conditions. In doing so I have been very impressed with the OEM FMIC efficiency with a maxed out K03 turbo (which means lots of hot air).

Below is a chart showing the temperature rise of a typical 4th gear pull with the GTI versus a Focus ST. I bring up the Focus ST as another data point comparing OEM intercooler performance.

Keep in mind that the intercooler efficiency is its ability to cool the charge air. That is best measured as the delta in charge air temperature from the beginning to the end of the pull. The OEM intercooler is on par with aftermarket upgrades on other platforms. Its large surface area allows for great charge air cooling.

I have a feeling some people look at the charge air temperature with the car at low loads and see a high value therefore assuming the intercooler is heatsoaked or inefficient. This is not the case - without much air flowing through the manifold the charge air sensor located in the manifold is reading erroneously high due to sitting so close to the engine block. This is the same reason you see a rise in charge air temperatures sitting in traffic. As soon as you start to flow air over the sensor the readings drop quickly.

For street applications I have a hard time seeing a justification for an upgraded intercooler especially on a stock turbo application.

I would love to see some comparison data from both the street and even more importantly lapping/circuit racing between OEM+ (GolfR, S3), aftermarket, and OEM intercooler performance.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
No doubt about it; the Focus ST OEM IC is absolute shit. We are a bit more lucky in having a decent OEM IC as well as a cheap slightly bigger option (S3, Golf R).

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I upgraded my intercooler when I was stage 2 and thought it was a game changer. That was before I got into logging and didn't have any before IAT temps documented - but my butt dyno felt heat soak after a few pulls on hot days in the summer (I live in Chicago). I hoon the crap out of my car though and track as well. I remember telling a buddy that I wish I had done a larger intercooler much sooner than I did. Never had any regrets or question on the difference in performance it gave me. I have a k04 now so would have had to do it eventually.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
I upgraded my intercooler when I was stage 2 and thought it was a game changer. That was before I got into logging and didn't have any before IAT temps documented - but my butt dyno felt heat soak after a few pulls on hot days in the summer (I live in Chicago). I hoon the crap out of my car though and track as well. I remember telling a buddy that I wish I had done a larger intercooler much sooner than I did. Never had any regrets or question on the difference in performance it gave me. I have a k04 now so would have had to do it eventually.

Excellent points. There is one other aspect to an upgrade and that is pressure drop. Larger, better flowing cores have lower pressure drops which:

1. Allow the turbo to run more efficiently increasing flow
2. Improve boost response

I imagine you felt this as well.

FriggenT1

Banned
When I got my wagner installed is when my boost issues seemed to start. Now, I don't blame the IC, and I cannot say that the pcv is still good and is causing it to not hold as much pressure. The Wagner is literally 3x the size of the oem though. If I were to do it again, I'd just go perrin or ebay twitter cooler.

havocsrt

Ready to race!
Im looking into FMIC's and have no idea which direction to go. My plan is an F23t in the near future so it will have to be enough of an upgrade to cover the F23t as well. Ideas?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

FriggenT1

Banned
Im looking into FMIC's and have no idea which direction to go. My plan is an F23t in the near future so it will have to be enough of an upgrade to cover the F23t as well. Ideas?

Just do the perrin FMIC and be done

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie

We will be doing the F23T on the OEM FMIC. Data will be posted before an upgrade to the FMIC is made.

FriggenT1

Banned

You want cooling? Save yourself the hassle of the IC and do wmi....the best ANY ic will give you is ambient temperature, that's it. Wmi will get below that. With a better IC you can be a bit cooler, but imo wmi is just better and what I would do with a smaller FMIC instead of what I'm using. Just my opinion.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
You want cooling? Save yourself the hassle of the IC and do wmi....the best ANY ic will give you is ambient temperature, that's it. Wmi will get below that. With a better IC you can be a bit cooler, but imo wmi is just better and what I would do with a smaller FMIC instead of what I'm using. Just my opinion.

Yeah but with just a intercooler there is no potential failure besides a popped hose.

With WMI if the injector seizes or continues to dump or the solenoid stops pumpuing or you run out.

To many potential issues with WMI for some people.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
For street applications I have a hard time seeing a justification for an upgraded intercooler especially on a stock turbo application.

Really?! Because 90% of the logging data ive seen for those with aftermarket ICs see 0 degrees of IAT increase... my data personally I see the IATs decrease about 3 degrees C though out the duration of a single pull in 4th gear