GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ttrs track pads

simpson110

Ready to race!
Going to be doing my first track day on August 22nd at lime rock. I'm really excited and can't wait but I want to be as prepared as I can to get my money's worth out of it.

So onto the questions. I have ttrs front brakes and was wondering what people have used for track pads, or if the stock pads can stand up to the job. I have golf r rear brakes with hawk hp+ pads. I'm thinking those should be fine but if not let me know.

Plan on flushing the fluid and changing to motul 600. Seems like most people have good luck with it. If anyone have other recommendations/reasons for other fluids I'd love to hear them.

As for tires I'm going to have to run what I have. Michelin pilot sport a/s 3, I'm not thrilled about it but it's just not in the budget right now to get something else. I'm going to try and not totally destroy them, again it's my first time so I will have an instructor with me so I'm sure he/she will be advising me the whole time.

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
You're gonna be hooked! :D Our platform is a blast and super easy for learning how to drive a track.

I'm running HAWK HP+ for the fronts and HAWK HPS in the rears with drilled and slotted rotors, SS lines and the same fluid you're thinking of going with. I had no issues. The pedal did go a bit soft but once you get the hang of your breaking threshold and throw the bad street habits out of the window the brakes should hold up just fine.

As for the tires, I ran 3 track days so far this season on Conti DW that maybe had 10k worth of normal street driving wear on them prior to the events. After the sessions I will tell you my tires are pretty mangled. I don't have any road noise or vibes, but the tread is pretty beat up. Its worth mentioning you can have a blast while learning and really only push the car to like 75% without abusing your tires. I was going ham bones on my last outing at Pitt-Race, squealing the tires in every corner really pushing the limits of the street tire.

Nothing will beat dedicated track rubber though. They're top of my list for next season along with a set of lightweight wheels.

simpson110

Ready to race!
I'm sure my tires will be looking a lot different by the end of the day for sure, but all tires must come to an end lol.

Motul 600 it is for fluid and now I just need to figure out what pads to go with for the front brakes.

abraxas

Passed Driver's Ed
This is just one man's opinion, so take that for what it's worth, but honestly I think you'll be fine with stock pads for your first event.

I did my first HDPE on stock everything except a fluid flush with ATE Type 200 and the car performed like a champ. Incidentally, I have the exact same tires and was very impressed with how they handled, both in the dry and in some substantial rain.

For reference, I let my instructor drive during a different session and even with him finding the limits of the brakes it still held up very well.

You likely won't be braking 10/10 your first time out, so stock pads will likely be just fine.

Good luck and have fun!

simpson110

Ready to race!
Well went to my track day this past Monday and it was awesome! Lime rock is a really fun track with a high overall speed. I was in the novice group with an instructor the whole time which is nice because they can push you and really help you reach your potential. By the end of the day they decided to bump me to the intermediate group, so next time I'll be in a faster group and be able to drive on my own.

The tires were amazing for an all season and the instructor I had in the last session was very impressed with the overall grip.

The only issue I had was brakes. They didn't seem to fade much but after about 10-12 minutes into each session I would get a strong vibration while braking. I ended up using ebc yellow stuff pads and I'm pretty sure they are just junk. After cooling down the brakes were smooth again with no issues.

Other than some sleight brake issues it was a great day and I am totally hooked. And I on a side note it's awesome to out drive cars that cost almost 10 times what mine did ��

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
The only issue I had was brakes. They didn't seem to fade much but after about 10-12 minutes into each session I would get a strong vibration while braking. I ended up using ebc yellow stuff pads and I'm pretty sure they are just junk. After cooling down the brakes were smooth again with no issues.

Glad your outing went well. The problem with a street pad that also pulls double duty for track use is the operating temp range just isn't there. Once you reach that max temp, most of these pads just drop right off a cliff in terms of their grip. You'll go from having great breaks and really pushing your breaking limits then all of the sudden the brakes will go soft. Give the pad a little time to cool down and the grip comes back.

The only alternative is to go with a dedicated track pad intended for track use. You can swap these out the night before and drive on the street with them to and from the event, but I wouldn't recommend leaving them on. They need to get really really warm to operate well and they will eat your rotors alive on regular road use.

red_stapler

Ready to race!
I find this chart to be pretty handy:

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
I find this chart to be pretty handy:

Yeah this is what I'm referencing but doesn't cover the EBC line. You really need something like a DTC-60 or similar if you want to run stock calipers and not have the brakes go soft. I ran HP+ and encountered the soft brakes in one of the high speed braking zones, wasn't the best feeling in the world and almost went off track! DTC-60s or BBK for me next season for sure!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well went to my track day this past Monday and it was awesome! Lime rock is a really fun track with a high overall speed. I was in the novice group with an instructor the whole time which is nice because they can push you and really help you reach your potential. By the end of the day they decided to bump me to the intermediate group, so next time I'll be in a faster group and be able to drive on my own.

The tires were amazing for an all season and the instructor I had in the last session was very impressed with the overall grip.

Other than some sleight brake issues it was a great day and I am totally hooked. And I on a side note it's awesome to out drive cars that cost almost 10 times what mine did ��

Go HP+ or DTC-60 all around for track and you will be happy. Vibration likely from pad material adhering to rotor, usually happens when you try and use a street rotor at track. It creates an uneven braking surface on rotor which makes it shudder especially during hard braking. Once the brakes cool you can usually wipe it off by doing a couple of fairly hard stops or you can remove it with wet/dry paper if really bad.

red_stapler

Ready to race!
I ran HP+ and encountered the soft brakes

HP+ have great torque, but they give up at a relatively low temperature. I didn't have any trouble with them on my Neons at Pittrace, but I had probably 100whp and 1000lbs less than a GTI to manage.

My favorites for street/track use right now are porterfield R4S. I had a set on my SE-R, and you could hammer those tiny 9" brakes until they were glowing, and then drive home.

red_stapler

Ready to race!

HP+ have a lower temperature range than the OP's Yellowstuff, so I'm not sure that's the best advice. If anything, he was probably just getting into the higher friction range and engaging the ABS without realizing it.

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
HP+ have great torque, but they give up at a relatively low temperature. I didn't have any trouble with them on my Neons at Pittrace, but I had probably 100whp and 1000lbs less than a GTI to manage.

Yeah at Pitt on the front straight I got the braking point down to about 250 ft and about 5 laps into the session I nearly went off track. The brakes were there but not nearly as much bite as I was getting the rest of the session. Did a 7/10ths lap and they came right back.

simpson110

Ready to race!
I'm running ttrs brakes so it has seemed to be a little harder to find pads. But the yellow stuff doesn't seem to be a real track pad even tho it was advertised as one. The cold grip was like normal. And the deposits on the rotors was what I assumed was happening with the vibration in the brakes.

The more I think about it too, it seemed like the last session my brakes were much better. I was also much faster that session. So some of the issue was due to a newbie driver behind the wheel. The last instuctor I had was a skip barber instructor and he really was able to get me a lot faster. Which mean less time on the brakes at lime rock.

I have read some really good things about raybestos st-43 pads. But it looks like They are made to order for the most part.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
TT-RS calipers are the same as Evo and STi calipers, so that will broaden up your selection. You can look into Carbotechs, Endless or Project Mu pads

simpson110

Ready to race!
TT-RS calipers are the same as Evo and STi calipers, so that will broaden up your selection. You can look into Carbotechs, Endless or Project Mu pads

Any specific years that the calipers are the same or it doesn't matter?