GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Ford Focus RS

zipsled

Ready to race!
I began this in the R forum because this particular vehicle is Ford's answer to the Golf R.
Impressive specs...but I saw one in a local Ford showroom for $48K. $48K??? Really???? For that kind of money, I could buy a used R, drop a turbo-charged 3.6 in it and run rings around the Focus. Or just buy a Charger SRT-8 and still smoke the Ford on the dragstrip.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Or the Mustang gt... Probably wouldn't run rings around it, most likely just crash into it... :yikes:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
your golf r doesn't have drift mode or 350hp or pilot super sports or brembos or recaros or or or

regardless it's not about value, it's about demand.

Uberryan

Banned
If you wanted a real drag car, you'd opt for the GT anyway and dump the Roush Phase 2 SC into it. Hellcat killer status right there.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Is it really the answer to the Golf R, or is it an answer to the STI or EVO?

I get that people are probably going to cross shop the Golf R and the RS, I would, but it seems like the RS would be more likely to draw someone who was going to get an EVO because they valued raw performance over refinement.

In my mind, the Ford one-upped the STI/EVO with the RS. Because the only reason to purchase either of those cars is for the bonkers experience they offer. But the RS doesn't really nullify the Golf R's strength, in that it's a mature feeling car that also goes really fast.

red_stapler

Ready to race!

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Is it really the answer to the Golf R, or is it an answer to the STI or EVO?

I get that people are probably going to cross shop the Golf R and the RS, I would, but it seems like the RS would be more likely to draw someone who was going to get an EVO because they valued raw performance over refinement.

In my mind, the Ford one-upped the STI/EVO with the RS. Because the only reason to purchase either of those cars is for the bonkers experience they offer. But the RS doesn't really nullify the Golf R's strength, in that it's a mature feeling car that also goes really fast.

Exactly. People don't get this. The reviews pinning the two together don't get it either.

zipsled

Ready to race!
Ford never has had a production AWD compact performance car that is in the same league as the Golf R--until now. Forget "drift mode" and such...if VW wanted it, it would be on the R. My point is that all things considered, $48K is just crazy money for a Focus RS...even with all the doo-dads and fancy seating.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
^ yeah, for $40k I'll look at it. $48k? Not a chance, not when Car & Driver was faster in a V-6 Camaro at the Lightning Lap competition.

At $48k I'm back to looking at the Golf R and STI.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
V6 camaro doesn't have AWD or a hatch or 5 seats or or or

no matter what the car is going to sell. so it makes sense to somebody. it's not all about lap times or speed.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Ford likes to charge people over sticker for a new "hot model", this is nothing new, and esp if its in California. Imho, it is a direct competitor to the STI, outgoing Evo, and the R, no doubt about it.

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
Ford never has had a production AWD compact performance car that is in the same league as the Golf R--until now. Forget "drift mode" and such...if VW wanted it, it would be on the R. My point is that all things considered, $48K is just crazy money for a Focus RS...even with all the doo-dads and fancy seating.

In the US, they have been doing this for years in the Euro market