GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Seafoam aftermath!

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
Tried out seafoam earlier today since I'm going to change my oil soon, put about half a can through the IAT sensor and took about 5 minutes to do the whole thing. The car idles much smoother now and the throttle response feels better, also MPG has increased slightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaBFJvUKsH0

c72k

Go Kart Champion
I bought a can, debating whether or not to do it before carbon cleaning...

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
I bought a can, debating whether or not to do it before carbon cleaning...

I would save it for after cleaning, they're already going to get cleaned so why waste it.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
I'd like to see if this stuff really does work. It would be awesome if some one did this treatment then took the manifold off to see if it really did clean it up.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I'm not a fan of seafoam / snakeoil. Just because it smokes is no indication it is cleaning anything. What you are seeing are the results of seafoam / kerosene burning. Never seen any evidence that it cleans other than folks saying it does because of the smoke. If you feel it is good go for it, It's not for me. There is only one way to clean the carbon & it's not in a can.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
I'd like to see if this stuff really does work. It would be awesome if some one did this treatment then took the manifold off to see if it really did clean it up.

I'm not a fan of seafoam / snakeoil. Just because it smokes is no indication it is cleaning anything. What you are seeing are the results of seafoam / kerosene burning. Never seen any evidence that it cleans other than folks saying it does because of the smoke. If you feel it is good go for it, It's not for me. There is only one way to clean the carbon & it's not in a can.

I am considering running the treatment, and when the manifold comes off for a proper cleaning, I will have the tech take pics in comparison. I have ~77k on the car, so it should be able to compare to others with same milage. That way we can have a relatively definitive test to settle the debate! :p

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!

I mean the MPG increase is no lie, it actually increased my MPG by 2, throttle response feels better but there's no way it "adds 10whp!!!" like some of the other people here claim, also, if you have a long bendable hose like I did, I curved it so it would go into each of the individual manifolds and sea foamed each one. But to each their own.

Last edited:

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I hear the placebo effect can be strong. Glad it works for, you I'll pass. Different strokes as they say.

green hell

Ready to race!
seafoam definitely won't clean out a heavily carboned intake, but it did soften up the whole mess for easier removal. my independent guy ran a can through for grins, prior to the mechanical cleaning. the borescope didn't look any better afterwards.

he thinks bg44 might work as a prophylactic treatment when performed annually.

we'll see; for $300 i don't mind the manual cleaning every 50k miles.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
my independent guy ran a can through for grins, prior to the mechanical cleaning. the borescope didn't look any better afterwards.

Thanks for some good info.

I run a bottle of Chevron Techron through the fuel tank before every oil change on all my cars. I know it won't touch the backside of the valves on a DI engine, but it will help keep injectors & piston tops clean.

green hell

Ready to race!
I wish I could find a shop around me to do it for $300. I got quoted $620 lmfao.

yeah, funny story about that. i threw a P0304 earlier this year. called the dealer, told them what was going on, then drove an hour and a half one-way... pointed out the obvious - plugs, coil packs, carbon...

they changed plugs and packs, reset the fault and sent me on my way, many dollars lighter.

a month later the light comes back on, same code.

i call them and ask for a quote on carbon cleaning. they say they can't quote it without seeing it. like a dumbass, i take my car back down there and get a rental. they call me the next morning, say it's full of carbon and they can clean it for $1200+. i told them to button up the car and i'd pick it up that afternoon. in an effort to thoroughly enrage me, the service manager somehow manages to come down to $900+. i asked if he was only going to clean 3 cylinders.

so six hours of driving later, and $140 in the hole for "diagnostics" and a rental car, i'm back home.

long story longer, i found a local guy who was highly recommended for foreign cars, and he did it for $300. he also said he's going to build a walnut blaster for the next time, and for all the other cars that will be having carbon issues...

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
yeah, funny story about that. i threw a P0304 earlier this year. called the dealer, told them what was going on, then drove an hour and a half one-way... pointed out the obvious - plugs, coil packs, carbon...

they changed plugs and packs, reset the fault and sent me on my way, many dollars lighter.

a month later the light comes back on, same code.

i call them and ask for a quote on carbon cleaning. they say they can't quote it without seeing it. like a dumbass, i take my car back down there and get a rental. they call me the next morning, say it's full of carbon and they can clean it for $1200+. i told them to button up the car and i'd pick it up that afternoon. in an effort to thoroughly enrage me, the service manager somehow manages to come down to $900+. i asked if he was only going to clean 3 cylinders.

so six hours of driving later, and $140 in the hole for "diagnostics" and a rental car, i'm back home.

long story longer, i found a local guy who was highly recommended for foreign cars, and he did it for $300. he also said he's going to build a walnut blaster for the next time, and for all the other cars that will be having carbon issues...

i keep hearing this "walnut blaster" way of cleaning these intakes; what is the actual difference between normal removal of intake and getting messy while cleaning the carbon build up and this WALNUT BLASTER thing???

does teh intake still have to come off??

green hell

Ready to race!
i keep hearing this "walnut blaster" way of cleaning these intakes; what is the actual difference between normal removal of intake and getting messy while cleaning the carbon build up and this WALNUT BLASTER thing???

does teh intake still have to come off??

intake has to come off; there is an adaptor that fits into the individual intake that allows crushed walnut shells to be blown in (and vacuumed out).

still messy, but in a different way. good way of removing hard, baked-on carbon. like bead or wire blasting, but with a combustible media that won't harm any components should it fall into the piston.