GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Could be oil covering up the MAP sensor in the manifold if oil getting past the PCV valve.

Or something else (carbon) covering the MAP sensor.

Or the MAP sensor is done for.

Is it something I should be concerned with? MAP sensor is different that MAF right? lol

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Is it something I should be concerned with? MAP sensor is different that MAF right? lol
Yes, they are different, you can find/remove the MAP sensor, located on the front side or about at the 7 o clock position below the throttle body, there is a connector going to it and is held on by only one torx screw. You need to remove and clean it to see if it is the cause.

As well, check to make sure the 9 torx screws holding the manifold on is tight, should be 10nm, which is not terribly tight but should not be loose.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Yes, they are different, you can find/remove the MAP sensor, located on the front side or about at the 7 o clock position below the throttle body, there is a connector going to it and is held on by only one torx screw. You need to remove and clean it to see if it is the cause.

As well, check to make sure the 9 torx screws holding the manifold on is tight, should be 10nm, which is not terribly tight but should not be loose.

saw this thread. I hope I dont have to take it to a dealer, not really wanting to spend money to "see what the problem is".

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85402
I have no clue what 10nm is. I dont own one of those tools. Ill see if i can find the MAP sensor and see, maybe its dirty, I dont have the engine cover on and my bay is a disaster.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
My money is the MAP (no MAF for you) sensor or a dirty throttle body. I had issues with error P0106 which is a related error. Took the MAP sensor out and it was covered in oil. Cleaned it and it persisted. Replaced it and it went away for a very short while then came back. The throttle body was a little dirty so I cleaned it really well and it went away never to return. Aparently it doesn't take much dirt on the throttle body to make the 2.5L unhappy. Clean em both really well and I bet you'll be good. There is also a service bulleton related to your code so if you can't get it sorted make sure you are on the latest software update which you can probably get with your scan tool and call the dealer and ask. Don't let em bs you and try to make you bring it in for a scan. They pulled that on me and I just called another dealer. My moneys still on the MAP or TB though as that is one of the 3 common codes you would get for issues with the intake. Could be a leak in the intake system as well but your car would probably be running poorly.

The MAP is covered under emissions warranty to 100K I believe but I wouldn't trust the dealer to not screw you somehow. When I bought the MAP to replace mine they said hey we'll fix it for free under warranty. I just had to pay $150 to diagnose the issue. I said I already know the issue. They said didn't matter I still had to pay it. I said I am not gonna pay you 150 bucks to fix some thing for "free" that I could fix myself in a half an hour for 75 bucks.

Lazer 100

Ready to race!

The MAF sensor measures airflow into the system. MAP sensor measures pressure in the intake manifold. If it isn’t too dirty than replace it. If the MAP is dirty you can clean it, put it back in, and it’ll probably clear your light for a while at least, but something made it dirty. You might need to SeaFoam the intake, get a catch can or just clean the intake and valves manually.

If that sensor is the root cause, none of these problems are super urgent or destructive. I’d get them sorted sooner rather than later though.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll do my best to take the map sensor out and give it a clean. Is the throttle body the piece that connects to the intake(with the flap that opens and closes)? When I took my intake off the part that connects to it was dirty. I wiped it with a rag and put my intake back on.

What would I use to clean the sensor? Gonna look also into the catch can thing.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll do my best to take the map sensor out and give it a clean. Is the throttle body the piece that connects to the intake(with the flap that opens and closes)? When I took my intake off the part that connects to it was dirty. I wiped it with a rag and put my intake back on.

What would I use to clean the sensor? Gonna look also into the catch can thing.

Its funny, no one says how they clean it.

In the past've removed and checked wiped it off several times, mine has never been what I would call coated but with some oil residue on it. Recently been reving pretty high for long periods of time when I go to the track, I've notice more oil in the bottom of intake manifold(s) but the MAP sensor was OK. It's a pain in the a$$ to always clean it so I'm just removing it, taped up the openings with Gorilla External Tape, poured gas in, shake it up, pour it out and bolt it back on, I don't know it thats the correct way but its still works I've never actually had a problem with my MAP Sensor and is the original one. It maybe Murphy's Law, the fact that I have a spare, so it never fails.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
MAF cleaner. Most autoparts stores carry it. I have a can on standby and Throttle body cleaner as well. Just spray the shit out of it and let it dry.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well I found a guy selling a ie valve cover on ebay so I bought it. He messaged me after and said he had the IM and fuel rail to so we struck a deal for those as well. Called IE today and got upgraded to stage 2 for $45. I have all the bits on order as well to do the install. I think all said and done I got everything for what I would have paid for the IM new. So thats what I did today.

Last edited:

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Well I found a guy selling a ie valve cover on ebay so I bought it. He messaged me after and said he had the IM and fuel rail to so we struck a deal for those as well. Called IE today and got upgraded to stage 2 for $45. I have all the bits on order as well to do the install. I think all said and done I got everything for what I would have paid for the IM new. So thats what I did today.
Sweeeeeet lol. Your little golf gonna boogie.

Looking into getting a catch can. I see different prices. Any ones to avoid or any recommendations on which one to get? Also gonna go to Canadian tire and see if they sell those cleaners.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Fantastic deal, enjoy!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
... what I did to the Golf, hmmm.... made a deal to sell my 996 to a friend while it's in winter storage, ... then drove the Golf to go look at other cars for sale ... . :23: