GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat16:Race For 10K Posts - Will Achieve Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

Lifted again. Only took 6 hours with an hour lunch break to do front and rear suspension, swap the front bumper, stitch the bumper, and put winter wheels and tires on. Not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Side note. Don't ever buy wobble bolts. Destroyed my hubs. Pretty much cross threaded at least one per corner of the car. So that'll be fun to deal with in the spring. Gonna end up having to buy actual adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
put winter wheels and tires on

...it was 80 degrees out today

Side note. Don't ever buy wobble bolts. Destroyed my hubs. Pretty much cross threaded at least one per corner of the car. So that'll be fun to deal with in the spring. Gonna end up having to buy actual adapters.

...OR just buy the right bolt pattern next time

P.S. I'm gonna guess operator error here.
I've used wobble bolts before and never had an issue. If you start them by hand...there's no way to cross thread them, unless you're the Hulk

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Sigh. So the racekar needs at a minimum, a new front subframe. Figured out the source (or one of the sources?) of the clunk in the front.

That's the driver's side front lower control arm. Granted it doesn't move like that when it's got a torqued nut on it but it's not supposed to move at all (like the passenger side).

I've also got some clunks in the rear... I thought I found the remaining source (beyond all the cross-threaded and stripped subframe and body mounts I found a few weeks ago), as I (actually the wife) discovered both upper spring perches were really busted up. I rigged up a temporary "fix" just to see if that solved the noise... but noticed that, once the car warmed up, the noise came back. I think it might actually be the rear shocks (Bilstein Damptronics, so they're the electronic ones with the fancy fluid). Some of the grime at the top of the shock body might not actually be road grime. The clunk is definitely coming from the upper end of the strut tower.

I think it might be time to park it for the year. Debating keeping it together another week or two, to at least get to another Cars'n'Coffee or two.... but not sure. I don't think it's inherently "dangerous" but it does need to be fixed.

Just so disappointed. Was a fun ~6 weeks.

At least I'll save on car insurance for the next couple months.

Jaber

Modero
Sigh. So the racekar needs at a minimum, a new front subframe. Figured out the source (or one of the sources?) of the clunk in the front.

That's the driver's side front lower control arm. Granted it doesn't move like that when it's got a torqued nut on it but it's not supposed to move at all (like the passenger side).

I've also got some clunks in the rear... I thought I found the remaining source (beyond all the cross-threaded and stripped subframe and body mounts I found a few weeks ago), as I (actually the wife) discovered both upper spring perches were really busted up. I rigged up a temporary "fix" just to see if that solved the noise... but noticed that, once the car warmed up, the noise came back. I think it might actually be the rear shocks (Bilstein Damptronics, so they're the electronic ones with the fancy fluid). Some of the grime at the top of the shock body might not actually be road grime. The clunk is definitely coming from the upper end of the strut tower.

I think it might be time to park it for the year. Debating keeping it together another week or two, to at least get to another Cars'n'Coffee or two.... but not sure. I don't think it's inherently "dangerous" but it does need to be fixed.

Ouch... :(

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

Damn you can't catch a break with that thing. I'm doing the same, keeping the car together for a few more weeks to hopefully get another nice cruise in(maybe kettle moraine) but I'm done for the season unfortunately. The car needs too much right now to track it before putting some serious TLC in over the winter.

Brakes need a complete re build
Suspension getting replaced
Every bushing in the rear end getting replaced

Sounds like a nice little sunday.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie

That’s f’ing terrible.

Jaber

Modero
I heard if you drive your car to the southside and leave the keys in it, a mechanic will come and take it. Then few weeks later, you get a check.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I heard if you drive your car to the southside and leave the keys in it, a mechanic will come and take it. Then few weeks later, you get a check.

Lol, I heard if you put “agreed value” track insurance on it and then put it in a wall at Road America all your problems go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.