GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge's newest catch can pics and review

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I will add to this as I go, but here are some pictures. As always, Forge has top quality parts imo.

I will update with installed pics soon. I have a few things to get done, but thought I'd share these so far. Very nice, quality feel to everything so far though.

I finally got everything installed. I had no problems beside the hose that goes to the intake into the outlet port of the can. The quality is very solid , The intake manifold block is billet aluminum And very nice as well as the rear PCV block off which fits also nicely into the to screw holes where the rear PCV port would go. The manifold block off comes with 3 open ports that you can either plug or use for boost gauges, vacuum operated DV, etc. I am not a big fan of the stock clips for the PC the manifold etc, but they are solid enough to not be an issue. As long as they don't break when unclipping them. The hoses were stiff of course obviously from being boxed up for several days and possibly very cold but over all no major issue in fitting them.

I plan on driving another 50 to 100 miles before I check the dipstick and see how it does and what it collects. I have manage to hold a bit more boost which is nice.It also does not seem to fall off as quickly I also think that my top has a boost leak from being bent from a clamp which was my own stupid fault but either way once that's fixed everything else should be good to go.

On a side note I think that the dipstick location and the way that they did it is really a cool idea. Although I cannot say anything about other cans as this is my 1st one and hopefully my last. I have some installation pictures that I am going to post soon but there really is not much to it and not something that really needs to even be a DIY. My biggest thing on the installation was making sure all the ports outside were completely clean to all ports were cleaned with 91% rubbing alcohol 1st to ensure a good secure clamp. I also made it a point where the bracket that holds the can sits on top on the headlight and uses 2 of the OEM bolts to clean and put a very durable paint sealant there so no moisture will accumulate, and if so, it's protected. That should last a while.

Blue loctite added then securely screwed in.

Pull straight out

Very nice billet plug!

Cleaned and then paint sealant added before putting on the bracket

Bracket and can mounted, the silver screws that came with the kit I added some blue loctite to, just to make sure they wouldn't be working their way out. Note how clean the dipstick is mounted and fits great.

For whatever reason, this pic won't rotate, but oh well... Just turn your head lol

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
nice that they have in/out spots - not so easy to find that out on other cans!

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Is this just the can without the Africa Plate?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yep, uses stock pcv

Looking at the product on their website, it goes from the front port, to the can, then into the port on the intake. I see the included plug for the intake manifold, is there one for the rear port on the PCV though?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Looking at the product on their website, it goes from the front port, to the can, then into the port on the intake. I see the included plug for the intake manifold, is there one for the rear port on the PCV though?

Yes, see pics 5 and 6 (put them there twice by accident)

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yes, see pics 5 and 6 (put them there twice by accident)

Oh ok, I thought that was some sort of mounting bracket for the can. I think this may be the way I want to go then. Keeps the fine oil separator of the OEM PCV people say the Africa plates lack, and also prevents pressure build up when boosting since it doesn't connect to anywhere post turbo.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Oh ok, I thought that was some sort of mounting bracket for the can. I think this may be the way I want to go then. Keeps the fine oil separator of the OEM PCV people say the Africa plates lack, and also prevents pressure build up when boosting since it doesn't connect to anywhere post turbo.

I had the 1st revision, and was going to use that, but I wasn't sure about the oil consumption that some had complained about on it, so I decided to sell that and pic this one up. I guess with the better revisions they mightve figured that the OEM pcv was a better option

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I had the 1st revision, and was going to use that, but I wasn't sure about the oil consumption that some had complained about on it, so I decided to sell that and pic this one up. I guess with the better revisions they mightve figured that the OEM pcv was a better option

Yea, this seems like a good way to reduce the amount of oil put through the intake while also removing the possibility of a blown RMS due to a faulty PCV.

hmk6

It looks great !
Same design as APR's catch can just Forge fixed all the failures of APR.
Mainly on the rear PCV output blocking, Forge made a nice billet part while APR used the plastic oem part blocking it with a tapping screw.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I'm installing now, I had a lot of stuff to clean so the parts went on perfectly, but I could easily be done in 15 or 20 minutes if your bay is clean and ready.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Ok, so here it is installed, the out port hose is too short to reach from the back of the intake (forge's pic shows that one) so I contacted them about that and if they had a way of running to a stock stage 2 pipe. Everything else fit well and I'm going to take a short trip to make sure everything is ok.

Last edited:

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Looks great.
Is that oil on camshaft position sensor area? You may need replace to new due to bad O-ring.