GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eva the MK6 GTI

oh_hai_mark_6

I've had Eva for about 5 years now but have only just started building her up. She is a manual 2 door 2010 MK6 Gti that had 82k miles when purchased but is around 122k now. Started life with me completely stock but apparently had a wreck previously. Nothing crazy but you can tell the bumper was poorly paint matched if you squint and look real hard near the lights and some paint was missing on the hood. The wheels were also looking pretty gnarly when I got her but I have never been a fan of the Detroits so that's definitely on the list of things to take care of.

I haven't really decided what direction I want to take her in but I have started with some basic mods and have always kept up with my routine maintenance. For the purposes of this thread I won't be backlogging maintenance records. Just trying to get organized going forward. I would love to hear any recommendations you all might have.

Routine maintenance
  • Clay bar/wax @122k 5/9/23
Performance Mods
  • GFB DV+ diverter valve
  • CTS Air Intake
  • R8 Coilpacks
  • Catless Downpipe 6/20/23
  • Stratified Cobb Tune 6/20/23
Non Performance Mods
  • Kenwood DMX7709S w/ iDatalink/Maestro RR
  • Kicker CX800.1
  • Kicker CompR 12"
  • Bandaid for hood booboo
  • GTI seat lever inserts
  • OBDeleven
Stuff I want to be in above lists!
  • Front mount intercooler.
  • catback
  • Wheels (gold?)
  • Suspension (not sure what I want yet though)
  • Front lip
  • Side skirts
  • Diffuser
  • Stage 2 clutch
  • Short shifter
  • Custom spare wheel well sub/amp box
PXL_20230508_134011439.PORTRAIT2.jpg
PXL_20230508_141302011.PORTRAIT2.jpg
PXL_20230508_134624433.PORTRAIT2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230508_134450932.PORTRAIT3.jpg
    PXL_20230508_134450932.PORTRAIT3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Ahh another 3-door GTI! Looks nice man! Keep it running! #savethemk6

Soupcan-Sam

Passed Driver's Ed
I would not go gold with the wheels. If you keep base colors with the white 3-door, the MK6 can look extra clean. It's round body and bubble butt is starting to stand out, in a good way, among all these newer cars with sharp edges. Gold might stand out a little too much though, but that's just my two cents!

I have a lot of little things in my car that are easy modifications. Pictures are here in the forum if they can spark any ideas for you.

oh_hai_mark_6

I would not go gold with the wheels. If you keep base colors with the white 3-door, the MK6 can look extra clean. It's round body and bubble butt is starting to stand out, in a good way, among all these newer cars with sharp edges. Gold might stand out a little too much though, but that's just my two cents!

I have a lot of little things in my car that are easy modifications. Pictures are here in the forum if they can spark any ideas for you.

I couldn't agree more with the bubble butt really standing out in a good way. Probably my favorite curve on the ole gal. I also totally get the gold on white being a bit on the flashy side but... I have wanted gold wheels since the 90s. Specifically gold bbs rs. Just something about a hot hatch with gold wheels that does it for me.

After looking at your car journal I see exactly what you're talking about. Huckleberry looks very tastefully upgraded and that exhaust is wild. I don't believe I have ever seen anything quite like that. I think it works well on your car because of how subtle everything else is. I didn't notice a link to hear it, what does that sound like? Your parts list has definitely given me some googling to do.

On a not car related note. Love the formatting on your post and Tombstone is one of my all time favorite movies!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
1684156539225.png

Gold looks good with the white I think.

But, I'd do a tune first. K04 if you can but at least stage 1/stage 2.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Cobb ap arrives Wednesday. Going to get it etuned after I address the downpipe. Clutch will need to be upgraded fairly soon or even before the downpipe I hear.

K04 is definitely a longer term goal.
I would gather ALL performance parts (regardless of how long it takes to buy/receive all the parts) and install all at once, at one shop, in one setting.

If I can do it all over again with my mk6, this is what I would do... just my two cents.

Enjoy the journey! Have fun and stay safe.

Soupcan-Sam

Passed Driver's Ed
I couldn't agree more with the bubble butt really standing out in a good way. Probably my favorite curve on the ole gal. I also totally get the gold on white being a bit on the flashy side but... I have wanted gold wheels since the 90s. Specifically gold bbs rs. Just something about a hot hatch with gold wheels that does it for me.

After looking at your car journal I see exactly what you're talking about. Huckleberry looks very tastefully upgraded and that exhaust is wild. I don't believe I have ever seen anything quite like that. I think it works well on your car because of how subtle everything else is. I didn't notice a link to hear it, what does that sound like? Your parts list has definitely given me some googling to do.

On a not car related note. Love the formatting on your post and Tombstone is one of my all time favorite movies!
I never thought to put a video up. I'll do that on my thread and shoot you a message.

Soupcan-Sam

Passed Driver's Ed

Video here. Need a better one though. Also want to film a passing shot too.

clownish

just clowning around
It's cosmetic - but Euro rear tails really feel like completing the car. I've done a lot to mine, but on the exterior I haven't touched anything besides sideskirts and taillights - why mess with something that looks good? Also it's fun to surprise with a stock looking golf thing.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Gold wheels, yeah, might be too much personally but white can pull it off. Bronze might be a good compromise, bronze is nice.

VMR has an amazing powder coat called Sunken Treasure

https://flic.kr/p/C7fxw8
I had a set of V701s in that color on my Sepang Blue S4. They are subtle until you get them in full sun and then they pop.

Then again, I've got bright blue wheels right now I did as a joke on the wife with plasti dip and turned out we both love it. lol

oh_hai_mark_6

Gold wheels, yeah, might be too much personally but white can pull it off. Bronze might be a good compromise, bronze is nice.

VMR has an amazing powder coat called Sunken Treasure

https://flic.kr/p/C7fxw8
I had a set of V701s in that color on my Sepang Blue S4. They are subtle until you get them in full sun and then they pop.

Then again, I've got bright blue wheels right now I did as a joke on the wife with plasti dip and turned out we both love it. lol
Did you do the powder coating yourself? I am always looking for an excuse to buy new tools :D

oh_hai_mark_6

Installed a Beluga Catless Downpipe yesterday and got a Stratified tune to go with it. I know the general consensus on catless around here is "boo sound bad drone bad" but I love it. Doesn't drone at all and it really isn't noticeable until higher RPMs in which case I want it to be noticed. No CEL light so far but spacer is on the way just in case. Install was super easy and took about 2.5 hours but I was teaching my wife how to do it so it could have been a bit quicker. The most impressive part of yesterdays tinkering was Stratified though. They had my tune to me within 5 hours. I couldn't believe the turn around.