GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Bill19751

1. Bill19751

So long, and thanks for the help

Hey folks. I never post here much, but after getting my 2013 GTI 3 years ago, this forum was a great source of help for information, DIY articles, etc. Unfortunately, in the last two years, I've been rear ended 3 times, hit with road debris, and stuck in a hail storm. The car was technically...
  2. Bill19751

Front door window bolt size - E-Torx?

Going to replace the glass on my front driver side door. The bolts that hold the glass to the regulator appear to be an external torx bolt, but I can't find a reliable answer as to what size they are. I don't have an E Torx socket set so if I need it I want to make sure I have the right size.
  3. Bill19751

WTB GTI driver side door CSG 2 door

2 door GTI, CSG, need the driver side door. Located in Dallas, TX.
  4. Bill19751

Car is totalled from hail but still driveable.

My GTI was stuck in an insane hail storm a few weeks ago. Insurance totalled the car due to a 10k repair estimate. Apparently, among other things, the roof would have to be cut out and a new one installed due to the number and location of dents. Mechanically it's in great shape. Everything is...
  5. Bill19751

Relocate satellite/nav antenna

My 2013 GTI has an RNS315. My understanding is that the shark fin houses the navigation and satellite radio antenna. Is it possible to move the antenna for both and still retain the functionality? I would like to use that spot to mount a mobile amateur radio (ham radio) antenna rather than drill...
  6. Bill19751

Possible radiator leak?

2013 GTI 104,000 miles. Water pump was replaced by dealer two years ago. Over the last several months, I've had a persistent, slow coolant leak. I could not find the source, nor could a dealer. The last time I checked the coolant level, it was between minimum and maximum. This was a month ago...
  7. Bill19751

Pre Road Trip Checklist?

Taking a week-long trip from Dallas to Chicago in two weeks. I've never taken this car on a long trip before, so I'm wondering what I need to check. Car is a 2013 GTI 6mt. 97,000 miles (mostly highway) I'll be changing the oil and filter before leaving. Last weekend I rotated the tires, checked...
  8. Bill19751

Schwaben Power Bleeder Leaking During Brake Flush

I replaced the transmission fluid and attempted bleeding the brakes in my 2013 6mt GTI today. For the brake flush, I purchased the Schwaben Power Bleeder from ECS, which is basically a copy of the Motive, gets good reviews, and is less expensive. The problem was I had difficulty attaching the...
  9. Bill19751

Got hit with road debris, now thinking about a dash cam

Got hit with something on the freeway yesterday. I have no idea what hit me, didn't see a thing. Hopefully insurance will take care of me, but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good, inexpensive dash cam. I'd just like to have something to provide evidence if anything like this happens on...
  10. Bill19751

Transmission fluid

My 2013 GTI, 6 spd manual is at 66,000 miles. I am due for a brake fluid flush but cannot find any information regarding transmission fluid. Shouldn't this get changed at some point? Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
  11. Bill19751

Engine Bay Detailing.

Used ONR, McKees 37 Engine De greaser and Sonus Motor Kote. Came out well, but I don't know how possible it is to get every little corner of the engine bay clean. Especially since I was trying to be careful not to spray electrical connections. I did remove the airbox just for more access. Sent...
  12. Bill19751

Body shops matching metallic paint

I realize these types of finishes are not new, but my CSG Mk6 is my first car with metallic paint. Understanding that finding a high quality body shop is the first step, is it possible to paint this type of color and not be able to visibly tell it was repainted? I was rear ended yesterday...
  13. Bill19751

First use of a PC 7424XP

Came out pretty well, but not perfect. Two bucket wash, clay, tree sap removal, Optimum Compound with a Lake Country orange pad, Optimum Polish II with a LC white pad, and Optimum Poli Seal applied with a LC black pad.
  14. Bill19751

D/FW tuned mk6 owners

I'm starting to think about what tune I eventually want to go with. Anyone local with Cobb, Unitronic, or APR tunes? Would be interested in checking out your car and getting some feed back on your experience.
  15. Bill19751

A/C Noises

When I run the A/C after a period of time, say 20-30 minutes, I hear a high pitched whining, that seems to be coming from the passenger side. Sometimes it seems to be affected by engaging the clutch, but foe the most part, engine speed and fan speed don't change the noise. You can hear it...