GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Dee1

1. Dee1

What air compressor do you use?

What particular brand/model of air compressor do you use for your tires? I tried a VIair 85P, but it didn't work -- air didn't flow into tires when connected. Maybe I just had a defective one, but I'm still looking for a good way to inflate tires. Your experience...?
  2. Dee1

Whats your occupation?

When I don't want to make any money, I'm a bicycle mechanic. But writing about online advertising -- as an analyst at a research company -- takes up most of my time.
  3. Dee1

GTI, Loving the Small Things

I love my new GTI for the big thing, the main thing -- how it drives, hugs the road, accelerates swiftly. But I also love a lot of small things. Here are two: When I press the "mute" button, that doesn't just shut off the sound, it's also a "pause" button. So when I press it again, my music...
  4. Dee1

Gear Ratios & Speed

After looking at dozens of websites, I am still looking for a formula for figuring out my GTI's speed based on the gear I've shifted into. I know there are websites that have calculators for this kind of thing, and there's even a thread from a couple of years ago that lists a chart for a GTI's...
  5. Dee1

What was your last car?

Like this thread's OP, I traded in an Acura TSX -- mine a 2007 model -- for my new 2011 GTI. While I liked the TSX quite a bit, two main reasons for the switch: Wanting a hatchback, to easily get a bicycle in and out (high-end bikes, they don't ride on car roofs) Wanting a car that was fun to...
  6. Dee1

Offset & Spacers ??

I'm thinking of going from the stock wheel on my 2011 GTI to another wheel. Here's how this site (Wheel Offset Calculator) tells me the changes would go: Original wheel = 7.5" width + 51 mm offset New wheel = 7" width + 54 mm offset The calculator tells me the changes will be this: Inner...
  7. Dee1

Tire Rack Categories: What's the Difference ???

I've searched the extensive Tire Rack site, but cannot find how they define the different categories for tires. What are the specific differences, say, between the following types of summer tires? Extreme Performance Summer Max Performance Summer Ultra High Performance Summer High Performance...
  8. Dee1

What 17" Winter Tire Do You Like Best?

I live in Northern Westchester, on the Hudson River, and the hills around here become challenging when it snows, or the icy roads afterwards. So, I'll be looking to put winter tires on my 2011 GTI, mounted on 17" Denver wheels. And I'd like to hear what some of you do. What's your favorite...
  9. Dee1

Extra Key with KESSY

Is there anything more useless than the so-called "valet" key that we got along with the two electronic keys on our 2011 GTI Autobahn? That trim has the keyless entry system, called KESSY. Since one of the two KESSY electronic keys are needed to start the car -- as well as unlock it -- of what...
  10. Dee1

Wheel Offset and Width Change ???s

The current wheels I have on my GTI have the following specs: Diameter = 18" Width = 7.5" Offset = 51mm I plan to change to 17" wheels. And I understand that if the new 17" wheels have a smaller offset, like 45mm, that means the tires will be a bit more out than the current ones are. But...
  11. Dee1

SD Cards & GTI Audio

I just set up a 1GB SD card for my new GTI with the Dynaudio sound system, and it worked perfectly. Here's what I did: Formatted the SD card on my Mac computer to MS-DOS (FAT) -- with one of those inexpensive card adapters that plug in a USB port. Copied several folders of music from my...
  12. Dee1

18" Detroits: What's the Market?

I'm seriously considering selling the 18" Detroit wheels and tires that came on my new 2011 GTI. Absolutely in perfect shape, but my concern about some of the rough roads I regularly drive on makes me think I might be happier with some 17" wheels/tires. So, what's the market for these? By...
  13. Dee1

18" vs 17" Wheels ???

Hi, My first post, since I'm buying a 2011 GTI this week, manual, Autobahn trim in glorious black. My first question is about the pros/cons of the stock 18" wheels vs. asking the dealer for 17" wheels instead. This will be for a daily driver. The main reasons I'm considering the 17" wheels...