GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by SteveInLA

1. SteveInLA

One bi-xenon headlight is pink?

Indeed. I replaced both bulbs following the instructions linked earlier in this thread and using these bulbs: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-osram-sylvania-parts/cbi-cool-blue-intense-d1s-hid-bulb/66140cbi~osr/
  2. SteveInLA

Just found this thread: https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-xenon-bulb-replacement.271693/ I guess it is Bi-Xenon and not bi-xeon like I was searching?
  3. SteveInLA

I just noticed this today. This is a 2011 with bi-xeon headlights. Forum search didn't turn up much. Do I replace the bulbs? I assume I should replace both at the same time, right? Any bulb suggestions? Thanks.
  4. SteveInLA

Schwaben Power Bleeder Leaking During Brake Flush

I also have this problem with the Schwaben power bleeder. I have never been able to use it on my MK6 but it works great on my 1978 Fiat Spider!
  5. SteveInLA

BBK upgrade for 17" wheels - advice requested

I did a second track day with the stock brakes and EBC Yellow Stuff pads and was not as happy as last time. I think I was more familiar with the track and had two days this time so I was pushing myself a little harder. 90% braking felt squirrely, 80% was fine but it limited how fast I could...
  6. SteveInLA

Has anyone tried Falken Azenis RT660 for track?

After two somewhat hot days at Thunderhill, my impression of these tires is that they are pretty much the same as the Hankook R-S4. Same performance and wear. I can probably get another 2-3 days out of them, but Thunderhill seems to be harder on tires than other tracks I've been to so your...
  7. SteveInLA

Has anyone tried Falken Azenis RT660 for track?

My Hankook Ventus R-S4's are done after my last track day. When I went to order a new set, I was told they are out of stock in my size for the rest of the season but that the new Falken RT660 is a comparable tire. Does anyone have experience with this tire for track use? Thanks in advance, Steve
  8. SteveInLA

I finally got to the track again since posting this. This time, I installed EBC Yellow Stuff pads. I really worked on braking as late as possible and the pads delivered. I even put in an APR downpipe and Stage 2 software since last time and the brakes stayed solid all day. If I really feel...
  9. SteveInLA

Any Track Rats Still Active?

Did a track day for the first time at Thunderhill Raceway. Ran the 5 mile configuration. No instructor in the car but did lead/follow until I got the hang of the track. I had only done Buttonwillow until this and both are great tracks. I did the event with Hooked on Driving and cannot...
  10. SteveInLA

Thanks. Swapping pads for track days is something I hadn't really considered. "Compelled" definitely describes my motivation. I enjoy tinkering on this car almost as much as driving it. From my research, the StopTech kit is lighter than the Golf R, readily available and probably less...
  11. SteveInLA

2011 GTI MK6. Last track day, my brakes were the weak link. I currently have StopTech slotted rotors and at the time, Hawk 5.0 pads front and rear though the pads were at the end of their life and probably should have been changed first. Calipers are stock and rotors are stock-sized. Here is...
  12. SteveInLA

DSG clutch pack upgrade recommendations needed

I wimped out and never upgraded the turbo or the diff. I was having transmission problems that ended up being fixed by an APR ECU upgrade. I did add the APR DSG tune and that was very nice. I have moved to a smaller town with a colder wetter climate so track days are fewer and farther between...
  13. SteveInLA

FS:NEUSPEED 70MM Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust - $250

FS:NEUSPEED 70MM Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust - SOLD NEUSPEED 70MM Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust - $250 Pickup only in West Valley of Los Angeles. Purchased and installed Aug 2017. Removed Jan 2019. Could use a new gasket which can be ordered from Neuspeed for $9.95...
  14. SteveInLA

Do I need better brakes?

The next upgrade I want to do is brakes but I'm not sure it is necessary. I previously installed stock-sized StopTech slotted rotors front and rear along with StopTech Sport pads then Hawk HP Street 5.0 pads when the StopTech pads wore out. I added the ECS Tunings front caliper bushing kit and...
  15. SteveInLA

Time to replace Mechatronics?

My DSG-equipped 2011 GTI lurches instead of smoothly creeping if I lift off the brake from a complete stop. It has done this for years but didn't start until after the warranty expired. When I perform the DSG calibration with my VAG-COM, the problem is fixed, but after about 150 miles, it...