GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by untangle

1. untangle

South Bay Dealer Now Selling Mods

I dunno if this is the right place for this but.... Stevens Creek VW is now selling and installing Neuspeed mods - including tunes and CARB-approved intakes. They told me that all mods are warranteed - again including tunes. Just FYI. Bob Mods: Feel free to move this if its in the wrong...
  2. untangle

Awesome "New Beetle" website

http://beetle.com/ For geeks: great use of javascript For everyone else: enjoy Bob
  3. untangle

Comparison of Major Mods: Perf, Cost, Installation Difficulty

This chart might help answer many of the questions newcomers typically have about mods. The chart is not all-inclusive - there are more mods and I didn't attempt to quantify other important characteristics like throttle response. The cost numbers are estimates from memory and/or averages for...
  4. untangle

My ECU is toast (yes, it was tuned)

I am posting this solely to provide another data point for Mk6 owners considering tuning. I think tunes are great, and perhaps my ECU would have failed even without the tune. Here goes... I think it's safe to say that my car was one of the first 2011's flashed in the US. Neuspeed tried to flash...
  5. untangle

Blackened grill mod

I was after a more understated look than the gloss black/red. So I matched the textured satin-black of the undergrill. I like it. Not everyone will. But if you want to do it, it's quite easy. Cheers, Bob
  6. untangle

S3 FMIC / AWE TOP - DIY tips & driving impressions

A non-VW tech & I installed the S3 FMIC and AWE TOP yesterday. With a lift and full power tools, it took about 4 hours. I bought the S3 FMIC from Genuine for $300 delivered, and the AWE TOP from AWE for $200. Here are some tips to make the install go faster: Two people! The bottom of the...
  7. untangle

Exhaust diameter sizing for turbos

Should I go 2.5" or 3"? This question seems to be asked daily on GTI forums. I'm going to try to approach the topic from the fluid mechanics perspective. First, we have to understand that flow velocity in the exhaust is as important as high volumetric flow rate, but for a different reason...
  8. untangle

FS Bay Area: Near-new Magnaflow Catback

Magnaflow Catback. Exc Cond. 1 month old. Great sound with any DP. 3". (See my vids) I have orig packing material. Paid $470. Will sell for $375 delivered FedEx Ground in lower 48. Local: $350 cash, you pick up in Santa Clara or San Mateo, CA. (Sorry, no int'l shipping.) PM me. Bob
  9. untangle

Know Thine DSG!

This post complements my earlier "Know Thine Engine" thread, providing similar detail on the marvelous DSG tranny. I found this DSG training doc useful in in many ways, including understanding what a DSG tune might do for me. Enjoy, Bob
  10. untangle

42DD Downpipe Installed (Video + Pics)

42DD Downpipe Installed (Video, Pics, and Review) Just finished installing my 42DD street DP. Magnaflow CB previously installed. Here's the result: Srf40EkbcHQ Pics and install notes to follow.... Bob
  11. untangle

ST Suspensions Coils - A review

I have about 100 miles on these, but I think that's enough for an initial review. ST Suspensions is a subsidiary of KW Suspensions, a maker of top-tier racing components. Lore has it that KW bought "Suspension Tech" for the brand, discovered the brand (and its products) lacked lustre, and...
  12. untangle

Initial Unibrace feedback

I posted my initial thoughts re Unibraces on this vortex thread (Post #254) today. Here's what I said: I am a graduate-level engineer. I own a 2011 GTI and am new to the VW forums. I also own an XB and UB. I have driven everything from a GSXR-1000 to an F/A-18 Hornet (USMC). I'm new here, but...
  13. untangle

Suspension Technologies Coilovers - Installed

As usual, the project took A LOT longer than I anticipated - maybe 6-7 hours. And there were two of us with a lift. Good thing we had a lift, b/c the car was up-and-down on it a lot whilst trying to get the drop just right. Here's the result: (It was getting dark....) Bob
  14. untangle

2011 Revo tune - Driving impressions and dyno testing

I think that we agree that the "Revo for 2011" announcement thread is getting a bit tired. Here's the destination for actual Revo-tune-on-2011-GTI owners to share their experiences - on the road, track, and/or dyno. I'm slammed this weekend with coil and unibrace installs and the the Super...