GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird humming noise from cars' behind

Serpher

Car(s)
2019 1.5 TSI 150ps
I'm new to Golf, but I noticed that right behind a driver near back window there's a humming noise when I'm driving normally outside of the city. Is this how it should be with this car body or something's going on?

EDIT
I was at the dealers' workshop and did full checkup and suspension geometry and apparently that's fine.

Last edited:

Serpher

Car(s)
2019 1.5 TSI 150ps
More like wind noise from the back. In this part. I can't hear it on the right side.

golf.jpg

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
1. look at hatch gaskets
2. remove spare look for water (see #4)
3. crawl in back and have someone else drive so you can listen
4. crawl in back and have someone spray with hose look for water leaks

Mud

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
look in spare tire well for water. There have been issues with gaskets leaking. water coming in and wind noise can be different symptoms of the same problem

I had an Integra that would whistle when I went over 90 mph....I knew I couldn't take it to the dealer with that problem. I found out if it poured I would get water in the front....it ended up being a defective front windshield gasket.

Serpher

Car(s)
2019 1.5 TSI 150ps
There's no water there. Everything's dry.
Also I was checking shock absorbers. I noticed that on back left damper there's a crack at the bottom (at least it looks like it). Maybe this could be the issue.

Attachments

• amortyzator.jpg
    amortyzator.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 28

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
That def sounds like a bad wheel bearing or cupped tire. Does the noise change when you turn left or right? Does the noise change if you rotate the tires front to back?

Serpher

Car(s)
2019 1.5 TSI 150ps
That def sounds like a bad wheel bearing or cupped tire. Does the noise change when you turn left or right? Does the noise change if you rotate the tires front to back?
Yeah I just saw a test for wheel bearings on YT and those sharp turns. I'll try it after the weekend and report back.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
It does kind of sound like a bad wheel bearing but sounds often don't translate through phone recordings well. Does the wheel feel really hot after a long drive?