GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. J

FS: Enkei PF01 17X8 in Chicago

I am selling my Enkei PF01 wheels, 17x8, 5x-112, 50 mm, for $600, along with used Nitto NT-01 tires, 225/45/17. These wheels retail for over $1,000 on Tire Rack, weight only 17 lbs, and are in excellent condition. Photos of the wheels can be viewed here...
  2. J

FS: Enkei PF01 17X8 in Chicago

I am selling my Enkei PF01 wheels, 17x8, 5x-112, 50 mm, for $600, along with used Nitto NT-01 tires, 225/45/17. These wheels retail for over $1,000 on Tire Rack, weight only 17 lbs, and are in excellent condition. Photos of the wheels can be viewed here...
  3. J

Said Goodbye To My GTI Today - For BMW

Filled with mixed emotions, I said goodbye to my '10 GTI today. I had come to a cross roads it as semi-DD and a NASA TT car. (See http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50413) If I kept the GTI, the next step would have meant purchasing an APR FMIC, LSD and BBK--all of which was going...
  4. J

Experience With Camber Plates?

I am considering camber plates for the track but I don't want any serious negative issues with them on the street such as noise. Yes, I know TT control arms are another way to get some camber without any adverse effects on the street. However, I am doing NASA TT and aftermarket control arms...
  5. J

NASA TTD Set Up For 2013

I competed this year in NASA's TTE, finnishing second in the Midwest Division with the following set up / points: Turbo...................5 pts (automatic pts for any turbo and no pts for flash) DSG.....................6 pts (automatic pts for paddles & twin clutch) Sways..................2...
  6. J

Skip Barber 2 Day Advanced Racing School – Laguna Seca Review

I just completed my Skip Barber 2 Day Advanced Racing School (Mazda MX-5) at Laguna Seca as a 40th Birthday gift from my wife and thought I would post a review. This school is intended for people who have done the 3 Day School or have considerable track experience/skill. For those interested...
  7. J

Cautionary Tale About Red Mist On Track

I read this thread yesterday from the Mark V forum. This guy started pushing himself beyond his skill level in a moment of Red Mist. He crunched his car pretty good and is fortunate he was not seriously injured: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153760 As I wrote in the Mark V...
  8. J

Front and rear sway bar track experience

I am considering front and rear sway bars. For those who have both and track their car, what are your views. I presume turn in and mid corner is definitely faster. What about corner exit? Some say front sways will reduce traction to the inside wheel which will hurt corner exit (because the...
  9. J

Suspension and tire advice for NASA TTE

I am in the early planning stages of setting my 2010 GTI, 4 dr, DSG for NASA TTE. By way of background, I have raced competitively in Spec Miata (SCCA and Midwestern Council) and NASA TTD with an e36 M3. Thus, although I am not a professional driver and have plenty of room for improvement, I...
  10. J

Initial Impressions of 2010 GTI on Track

I did my first track event yesterday with my 2010 GTI, DSG. By way of background, all prior track experience has been with RWD cars (ie., 350 Z, e36 M3, and a Spec Miata). Overall, the car performed very well--but it took some getting used to. As explained below, tire pressure issues, brakes...
  11. J

What was your last car?

Coming from a 99 M3...great car. However, the GTI is almost as much fun, much more practical, and actually better in many ways. Cars before the M3 included an 01 S4 (nice when it was not in the shop), 03 350 Z (fast but somewhat uninspiring) and an 06 TL (suprisingly powerful but still...
  12. J

Tracking / Autocrossing a Mark VI Section?

I realize this may be early, but is there going be a "main topic" section on tracking or autocrossing the Mark VI. Although I suspect much of the information can be learned from the Mark V forum on tracking, there are some unique aspects to the Mark VI including the XDS (or electronic limited...