GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. V

Car over heating

I was going to suggest checking if the lower rad hose was cold if you hadn’t done that already. That’s a pretty conclusive sign that the thermostat is almost certainly your problem.
  2. V

Car over heating

What brand thermostat is installed now. For stuff like that where it has to work right and is a pain to replace I always use VW parts. I should have installed one in the Graf pump proactively, but didn’t think about. How have you determined that the thermostat isn’t opening until 215-ish degrees?
  3. V

Car over heating

I decided to de-carbon the intake valves at the same time, so I removed the intake manifold and then the water pump. The valves needed to be cleaned, and it made it a lot easier to replace the thermostat. I watched a video on YouTube where someone replaced the thermostat without removing the...
  4. V

Car over heating

I had the same problem with the Graf aluminum water pump. The garbage thermostat only lasted a few thousand miles. Put a VW thermostat in and everything works perfectly. I assumed the coolant temp sensor and O-ring were also garbage and replaced those as well.
  5. V

Name that part

On a GTI you don’t need to remove the heat shield to remove the coupling. The GTI heat shield is also different than what’s in the video. Instead just use a long thin screwdriver inserted into the gap between the coupling and heat shield hole to pry/slide the coupling clip outward. IIRC, the...
  6. V

Name that part

That’s the quick disconnect coupling for the upper heater core hose. Very common failure on a number of different VW models. I replaced mine in December after the small nipple part cracked and started to leak. I took the coupling off of a new heater core hose that I bought from ECS Tuning...
  7. V

12v flash light

I bought a small LED flashlight with built-in crank charger after numerous sets of batteries died in the previous flashlight while it sat unused in the glovebox.
  8. V

How LuK Self Adjusting Clutches Work

Great video! http://youtu.be/ZN3KMQOUU1g
  9. V

Parts List for MKVI GTI Clutch Install

We all have different opinions and choices for the pressure plate and clutch disc combos/separates that we install in our cars. All of the other parts needed for an install, however, are the same for everyone. I have yet to see a comprehensive list of parts, part numbers and torque specs for...
  10. V

Sachs SRE Clutch Questions

I'm close to pulling the trigger on this clutch to replace the stock clutch on my APR Stage 1 GTI. The stock clutch started slipping, and the car is back in stock mode to limit damage to the flywheel. For those who have this clutch or know something about it ... 1) Where did you buy it? I'm...