GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. LightningRhod

VW Camper for rent in the Bay Area?

So my fiancee and I have an idea to use and old school VW Camper as a prop for our engagement photos coming up. Anybody know of a place that can do a one day rental in the Bay Area? Or do you know somebody that has a fully restored Camper that we can use? Just for reference, we're looking at...
  2. LightningRhod

Carbon cleaning @ 117k miles (yikes!)

I've been chasing down an intermittent CEL for the last 2-3 months. Codes were as follows: Codes: P300 - Random misfire P301 - Cylinder 1 misfire P302 - Cylinder 2 misfire Characteristics: Car would idle rough at cold start up. The misfires were audible through the exhaust rumble (audible...
  3. LightningRhod

Stock battery toast (literally) @111k miles

So this happened maybe 2 weeks ago. Started smelling something really funky from my car when the vehicle was stopped from inside the cabin. Thought it was just the cabin filter, however when I parked the vehicle, the smell was coming from outside the vehicle. Popped the hood and found smoke...
  4. LightningRhod

LightningRhod's quest to 200k.....and beyond

Starting this journal for archiving purposes and to share with the community. From the get go, the plan was to keep this car for the long haul until it dies or becomes too much of a liability to repair. This is my first European car, so it's also a test in long term reliability as well. Here...
  5. LightningRhod

What a car enthusiast looks like to everyone else...

I rather enjoyed this article/blog post haha: http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/320b-when-i-grow-up-i-want-to-be-just-like-you-treme-1465220552/@Plays-With-Cars
  6. LightningRhod

Nutsert removal? HELP!!

So I was just about done installing my Unibrace XB tonight....when low and behold one of the nutserts I installed got bent when I threaded it through the hole I drilled. Probably got bent due to the way I was torquing it down with the nutsert tool. Since it is bent/deformed, the nutsert...
  7. LightningRhod

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Often a popular thread amongst other automotive/motorcycle forums, so thought I'd start one for ours :). Finishing up the install of my XB tonight. Very gratifying experience :thumbsup:. Can't wait to test it out on the track :D. XB1 by ichibankakkoii, on Flickr XB2 by ichibankakkoii, on...
  8. LightningRhod

Help a MKVI brother out!!

Hey guys and gals, I'm riding for Tour de Cure (Ride for Diabetes) again this year. The ride is to promote awareness of diabetes and to help fundraise for the cause. If you all could take maybe 5 mins out of your day to help support this effort, I'd greatly appreciate it!! Link to my...
  9. LightningRhod

Feeler: GTG/Track Day at Infineon Raceway, June 16

Feeler: GTG/Track Day at Infineon Raceway, Sept. 29 Date has been changed to SEPT. 29 Putting this idea out early so potential attendees can get their cars ready. So about two weeks ago I did my first track day over at Infineon Raceway at Sonoma, CA, and I had a blast!! Nothing like hearing...
  10. LightningRhod

Feeler: GTG/Track Day, Infineon Raceway June 16

Putting this idea out early so potential attendees can get their cars ready :D So about two weeks ago I did my first track day over at Infineon Raceway at Sonoma, CA, and I had a blast!! Nothing like hearing the sound of exhausts, the smell of burnt rubber and exhaust fumes first thing in the...
  11. LightningRhod

Torque wrench recommendations?

Recently bought a Craftsman 3/8 drive, 25-250 ft-lb Micro-clicker torque wrench, which turned out to be broken/defective when I opened it. Went to the store (and multiple locations) to exchange it for the same wrench, but it seems they are all out of stock (sales associates told me they are...
  12. LightningRhod

Next gen GTI to come with 240hp/260 ft-lb stock?

Found this article via Autoblog, so thought I would share. Explains the new platform for the Golf/GTI/Audi A3, new engine types, amongst other exciting changes to come. http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/03/what-we-know-about-the-2013-volkswagen-golf-next-gen-gti/
  13. LightningRhod

What will you do with your tax return?

Tax season is coming up, and some of us will be getting returns. As for me, I may use it towards a set of track wheels and tires (Enkei PF01 w/ Hankook Ventus RS3's) since I'll be heading to Infineon Raceway in March for my birthday. So what will you do with yours? Doesn't have to be...
  14. LightningRhod

Bay Area Brew Festival, Saturday March 3rd

Just thought I'd throw this out there for all you California heads out there. If you love beer, then this event may be one you'll need to go to. This will be my first time going, so it'll be interesting how it turns out. For more info, you can visit the company's page...
  15. LightningRhod

Who wants to race at Infineon Raceway (March 11-12)?

So I've been meaning to head out to my first tracking event, but I think I may pull on the trigger on this one for my birthday! Event I'm looking at is on the weekend of March 11-12: http://nasaproracing.com/event/1396 Prices for HPDE1 (High Performance Driving Event, beginner level) are...
  16. LightningRhod

How important is it to use DISTILLED water with your coolant?

Asking because a couple of weeks ago, my coolant light went off and saw that my coolant levels were waaaaay below the minimum mark. Topped it off with some G12 Pentosin, but mixed it with filtered water (BRITA filter, thought it would be better than just plain old tap water) since I was in a...
  17. LightningRhod

Who's playing Battlefield 3???

My copy of the game is being shipped to my house as we speak via Amazon, so I should have a nice gift when I get home from work. Who else is playing this game? I'm super excited for this game :thumbup: If ya'll play on PS3, my tag is ichibankakkoii. Squad up!!!
  18. LightningRhod

Do I have a coolant leak somewhere?

So, I was driving from my parent's house back home to Sacramento this morning when my car starts flashing the coolant light with the message "Low coolant! Check owners manual!". I was maybe 10 mins away from my house at this point, so I kept driving while keeping my eye on the temperature gauge...
  19. LightningRhod

Anybody have the vented OSIR hood installed?

So I'm toying with the idea of acquiring the OSIR vented hood and painting it CW to match the car. Anybody have pics of this hood installed? Any color car is appreciated. For those that do have it installed, don't you need to drill holes in it and use hood pins to secure it down so it doesn't...
  20. LightningRhod

Rant: Lady calls my car "adorable"

So today I went to 7-11 just to pick up some gum, and while I'm paying for my stuff I see a lady (in her 40's or 50's) park next my car. She walks in and says to me,"Hey is that your white Volkswagen out there? That thing is ADORABLE!!" I politely say,"Thank you", but come on, ADORABLE? I've...