GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR/Hotchkis Front Swaybar Bolts

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Accidently popped over a curb in a parking lot at low speed trying to avoid someone and sheered the front swaybar mount bolts on the passenger side. Because the bolts come down through the subframe they sheered at the nut so they are still intact but should probably be replaced. Luckily I just caught the end of the curb. Anyone know what size these bolts are? They just look like standard grade 8 bolts/nuts but I have no idea the size/length. These are the bolts I am referring to.....

Screenshot 2022-12-02 213055.png

This is what they look like normally.......

Screenshot 2022-12-02 213328.png

This what I did to them......

Screenshot 2022-12-02 213408.png

Is there room to replace these without messing with the subframe? If so I may just remove them and go to ace and get replacements. I am going to install a subframe bolt kit as well as my front end has been popping for the last couple months when starting out from a stop and sometimes also when hitting bumps at low speed. Could also be the endlinks but those are pretty new.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to hear about your mishap but it coulda been worst. I dont know the size but any bolt(s)about the same size and length that fit the holes in the subframe should work. Since you are already getting subframe noises its a good opportunity to refresh ALL the subframe bolts as well.

If you contact Hotchkis they may give you the exact size of the bolts.

Lately when ordering VW Parts from the US, I've been using VWPARTSVORTEX.COM

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well, no love from either company. I think I have the correct bolts ordered now. For those wondering they appear to be M8-1.25 x 90mm grade 12.9 allen head bolts. M8-1.25 x 90mm is the stock spec bolt size as well.

I am going to install a CTS deadset kit and hopefully when the subframe is dropped slightly I will be able to get in there and replace the swaybar bolts as well.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like a plan, CTS is a good Canadian company with pretty good products. Early on we tracked the Golf and wound up replacing the subframe bolts several times, it still worked out cheaper than buying the expensive Tyrol kit. Ask for the "shop prices" when buying the bolts, I think Dealer Parts just see them as just bolts, so will discount.

A few years back, my buddy's race team in IMSA use 034 Motorsport "Deadset" product when they partnered on developing the TTRS, I did some data logging for that project on test days. They eventually moved onto the RS3 platform but they continued to use the Deadset product.

Last edited: