GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunk when shifting into reverse

edubs77

I have a 2.5, 6 speed auto mk6 and whenever I shift into reverse from a cold start, there is a clunk. This is when the RPMs are still high, over 1500, and hasn't settled down. I will be installing the TyrolSport subframe kit because I have the subframe clunk, and have already replaced the drivers side cv shaft due to a work cv joint, but wanted to get some other ideas on what else to check out when I'm under there. I'll post a video when I get a chance to show the symptoms

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
My guess it may be time to have a look at your mounts, if you have more than 75K miles and have never replaced them.

Trans mount, Engine mount, dogbone mount and dogbone pucks. They hold drivetrain in place, rubber mounts. As they wear, rubber rots, breaks and motor twists as it normally does but mounts allow it to clunk into the frame of the mount - clunk.

edubs77

My guess it may be time to have a look at your mounts, if you have more than 75K miles and have never replaced them.

Trans mount, Engine mount, dogbone mount and dogbone pucks. They hold drivetrain in place, rubber mounts. As they wear, rubber rots, breaks and motor twists as it normally does but mounts allow it to clunk into the frame of the mount - clunk.
Thank you. I was thinking the dogbone but heard thats a pia to drop the subframe. Do you know of a diagram with all the mount locations?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
should be able to google it.

But best to get under car and look for damaged or worn out bushings before undertaking huge project.