GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Pedal Sticking Down

Cj_Engrav

2010 GTI
133K miles
I was driving around and my clutch pedal started sticking down but I was able to make it home before the pedal lost all resistance and became a permanent problem. I read that it could be few different things (master/slave cylinder, clutch cable, etc.) but the only problem is that most of the issues I saw mentioned that the car wouldn't go into gear. When my car is running I can cycle through the gears with no problem, the clutch just wont engage. There were no odd noises when the problem started but I am starting to think it may be a bad/stuck throw out bearing issue. Any advice?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
How’s the fluid look? Probably bad master or slave. If it’s slave might as well do the clutch while your at it.

king1138

Go Kart Champion
Yep, that sounds like a failed slave cylinder. Do the clutch at the same time to save yourself headache later.

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
OP do you Have to start it in gear?

If there's no leak under the Car, it's probably the master.

If there's fluid around the Bell housing it Slave Cylinder /TOB

Last edited:

Cj_Engrav

OP do you Have to start it in gear?

If there's no leak under the Car, it's probably the master.

If there's fluid around the Bell housing it Slave Cylinder /TOB
I do not have to start it in gear. I am just in the process of digging into it physically now. Gonna jack the car up and check for leaks. Hopefully it's just the master and I can do that in a night. Any way of verifying it is the master with it removed?