GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe Question

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
Hey SoCal members. Has anyone had a AWE DP with a k04 here in Cali? I have a AWE dp but want to know if I can pair this with the ko4 without having to do anything to this DP.
CBFA motor here (of course).

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
Oooo.
I see. Are you running the three 02 sensors lined up with the DP?
Or do you have a CCTA model with only two 02 sensors hooked up?
Thanks for replying @2012TP

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Does the AWE dp have 3 sensor bungs in it?

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds good. Finally considering a ko4 here in SoCal. Never realized my dp had three 02 bungs already installed.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Dont forget about CARB Smog laws :p. ANY downpipe is an automatic failure with the visual component of the inspection. Be prepared to go back to stock every 2 years lol.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Dont forget about CARB Smog laws :p. ANY downpipe is an automatic failure with the visual component of the inspection. Be prepared to go back to stock every 2 years lol.

Is it really that bad? I heard earlier this year/last year APR stopped selling downpipes because in general mods are becoming a bit harder and harder to get away with lately.

Crazy that after years of laughing at our european friends, we are now gonna be stuck in the same place. Say hello to a sport package of every single car as our only option for fun driving.

if the trend continues, DIY performance mods are gonna be a no-go anymore :(

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Is it really that bad? I heard earlier this year/last year APR stopped selling downpipes because in general mods are becoming a bit harder and harder to get away with lately.

Crazy that after years of laughing at our european friends, we are now gonna be stuck in the same place. Say hello to a sport package of every single car as our only option for fun driving.

Iirc they did away with their stage 2. Not sure DPs are gone also. I did read epa went after diesel tuners as well and took a big chunk of cash.
Don't know how this would work on a larger turbo..

Thumper

Autocross Champion

It was that bad 8 years ago when I lived there, it certainly hasn't gotten better. LOL And some places are rolling out mobile units to sit on freeway off/on ramps.

if the trend continues, DIY performance mods are gonna be a no-go anymore

Nevermind that, 9 years from now CA has banned any new gas vehicles of any kind. Forget the banning of mods, if they follow through with it get ready for $12/gal fuel prices. lol

Iirc they did away with their stage 2. Not sure DPs are gone also. I did read epa went after diesel tuners as well and took a big chunk of cash.
Don't know how this would work on a larger turbo..

There are still companies making DPs but APR pulled theirs. They still list a Stg 2 tune on the web page with the requirement for an "upgraded exhaust", so IDK there. They still do the big turbo kits but huge warning that they are NOT to be driven on the road.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

Yes its been that way for many years. You will fail for any non CARB approved intake as well, there's only a few approved ones for the MK5/6. No CARB approved downpipes. Good thing though is if he decides to go K04 is you can toss on the stock intake and downpipe on and leave the k04 and the smog techs will be none of the wiser, just need to flash back to Stage 1 or Stock to pass.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Not a Cali guy but I run an APR K04 with AWE downpipes. Fits no problem.
Passes emissions here on APR’s stock non-testpipe file, as well.
7305016F-EDE4-42FD-904F-6D815AE5FBF1.jpeg

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Passes emissions here on APR’s stock non-testpipe file, as well. View attachment 191138

Couple things.

1) Are you a CFBA engine code with three O2 sensors?

2) It is one thing to pass readiness, it is another thing to "pass emissions" as readiness is only one of several things required to pass in CA.

3) None of that matters if they do a visual inspection because any DP is a failure as none of them can get CARB numbers because not only do they use reduced catalyst but they are marketed as high flo and performance items. CARB specifically forbids any converter from being allowed (even if you can pass tailpipe and readiness) if it is marketed in such a way, unless they magically loosened those restrictions in the last 7 years.

Trust me, NY is bad, but until you have lived under the boot in CA you have no idea.......LMAO