GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECM P01314 Code - Communication Fault Detected

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Recently P01314 Code getting logged. I've cleared it 3 times and each time the code has returned. The Golf 2.5 is operating normally even with the code present. The code is an ECM Communication Fault, right now the car is starting but worst case it can result in a no start condition. I have noticed that my new OBD Eleven shows a battery voltage of 11.9 to 12.2 Volts as of late so I need to check the battery voltage with a multi meter next time I see the Golf, unfortunately it is with my Son down in the City

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Internet says code is caused by a power supply wire broken or the ECU is bad, none of which I think is the cause.

Will try checking the fuses and relays as well

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ugh, that sucks. Not familiar with this code, but I am familiar with ECU issues. Hopefully you don't have to replace the ECU but it might not hurt to pull it and see if there are any signs of damage and get the part number while you're at it to see what you can find. The ECU in my last golf was a hard one to locate.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Good to hear from you again Chris. I hear ya, lets hope it doesnt come to that.

This thread posted a few weeks ago I think is similar. I'm seeing VWs in cold salty weather starting to suffer from corroded contacts, Dealers tell guys to replace modules or entire wire harness as solutions. I just helped a buddy fix up a GTI he bought at the auction for $2k with a bunch a dash lights and OBD codes to solve. His Air Bag light wouldn't clear, internets said to replace the wiring or the Air Bag Igniter, we fixed the contacts under the seat using contact cleaner and unplugging and plugging the connector two or three times.

I'll keep you posted, wont see the Golf for a week of so tho

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Likewise. The electrical stuff is always the worst. I have been pretty lucky with the latest golf not having any issues thus far at 115,000 miles. Although the automatic has become pretty clunky so I need to address that. Probably just time to change the mounts and finally get around to installing the deadset kit.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
This P1314 code is so intermitent its not been a straight forward experience with a multi meter so I've replaced the R1 relay in the power Fuse Box under the hood in front of the battery.

Fuse and relay info HERE