GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Endless P0455 Hunt

aregan5438

Alright, I’ve gone through a lot to get rid of this code and nothing seems to be right. I’ve had this code for like 2 years now because online says it only affects fuel economy and emissions. BUT this has slowly escalated into my car cranking but not starting, or turning over for a few seconds before stalling.

I’ve replaced (in order) the purge valve(N80 valve), gas cap, fuel filter, fuel pump, and leak detection pump. I had it smoke tested before replacing the gas cap, and before replacing the leak detection pump. Went to Firestone for the diag and they couldn’t find any leaks. Went to a reputable Euro shop and they said the leak detection pump was leaking “through the pins” before I replaced it. Car still doesn’t run. Help! Any suggestions?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Can you clear the code and have the car start normally until it comes back? Maybe need another smoke test, might have had two leaks and the pump maybe was the bigger one so all the smoke was coming out there. Now that you fixed it another smaller leak somewhere?

aregan5438

Can you clear the code and have the car start normally until it comes back? Maybe need another smoke test, might have had two leaks and the pump maybe was the bigger one so all the smoke was coming out there. Now that you fixed it another smaller leak somewhere?
Smoke testing it again today, I’ll give an update. Thanks for the feedback & suggestions!

aregan5438

Purge valve was backwards. Apparently the aftermarket purge valve direction of flow is opposite from OEM. The arrow marked on top needs to be flipped if you use an aftermarket one. CEL is gone. Suspecting a bad crank position sensor for the starting issues and dying in flight.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Purge valve was backwards. Apparently the aftermarket purge valve direction of flow is opposite from OEM. The arrow marked on top needs to be flipped if you use an aftermarket one. CEL is gone. Suspecting a bad crank position sensor for the starting issues and dying in flight.

Thanks for reporting back, always nice to know what the cause of things is, helpful for the community. Crazy they stamped the flow arrow backwards but low cost aftermarket are low cost for a reason I guess.