GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Evermynd's '12 Golf R Build

Evermynd

I'm not usually one for keeping up with forums, but I thought I would put my Golf R build out there.
It’s my daily driver but I started tracking the it last year. I plan on tracking it at least a few times a year.

I haven't taken any good pictures of it in a while, but I'll throw up a couple for now and then update it later.

RoadAtlanta.png

Mod List

Exterior
  • Front and rear glossy black VW emblems with vinyl underlay in back
  • Smoked amber LED side markers from UroTuning
  • Rear wiper delete (UroTuning)
  • ECS Tuning aluminum street shield
Interior
  • 25% tint all windows minus windshield
  • Rear seat and foam delete
Wheels/Tires/Suspension
  • OZ Alleggerita HLT 17x8 +48 with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (245/40/R17)
  • OEM 18" wheels with Potenza RE17R (235/40/R18)
  • ST XTA Coilovers with cut out front tower covers
  • VWR wheel stud conversion
Brakes
  • Solid Brembo rotors
  • EBC Yellowstuff pads
  • SS brake lines
  • RBF 600 brake fluid
Electronics
  • APR Stage 1
  • Integrated Engineering Stage 2+ Pro
  • VAGCOM mods like full ECS disable feature unlocked, locking horn timing shortened, driver assist button changed to mute, etc.
  • P3 ODB2 vent gauge installed
Engine/Exhaust
  • ECS Luft-Technik 3" intake
  • APR vacuum tap for analog boost + analog boost sensor from P3
  • Fumoto oil drain valve
  • ECS tuning billet oil filter housing
  • Autotech HPFP upgrade
  • SuperSprint catback
  • CTS Turbo resonated catted downpipe
  • CTS Turbo intercooler
Maintenance and Future Mods

Notable Maintenance I Somehow Managed to Do Myself
  • Walnut blasted intake valves (I'll throw some more pics up when I get time)
  • All fluids and filters replaced (haldex, haldex filter, rear diff, front diff, transmission, oil obviously)
Parts I Have and Haven't Installed Yet
  • New OEM PCV valve
  • DKM Stage 2 Clutch w/ single mass flywheel (the current clutch holds fine with stage 2)
  • iABED rear main seal upgrade
  • Water instead of coolant for the next track day (Last day at Road Atlanta this car couldn't even hit 90 on the back straight after a full day of tracking because it was hitting close to 270 degrees on the coolant)
  • Brake fluid flush
  • Oil/Filter
  • Cam follower inspection
Near Future Plans
  • Full paint restoration, scratch repair, wax, polish (please PM me if you know anyone good around north Atlanta)
  • Battery replacement and relocation to rear (waiting for it to need replacing)
  • Short shifter kit
  • Rear x-brace
  • Upgraded sway bars
  • Water/Meth injection
  • Oil pressure and temperature sensor
  • Full (preferably functional and non-ostentatious) aero kit (front lip, side skirts, rear diffuser, spoiler lip)
  • Radio fin shave (maybe)
  • Vacuum actuated exhaust cutout (maybe)
  • Corner balancing (maybe)
Lofty Ideas (because racecar)
  • Modular rollbar with removable harness bar
  • 5-point harness
  • Replacing the sunroof glass with carbon fiber and possibly removing the motor
  • Haldex mod
Old, Wet, and Dirty Pics

Pic 1: As purchased and very wet / Pic 2: Dirty car with new coilovers and wheels
Wet.png
Gold.png

I bought the car with 59k on it thinking it was bone stock and I barely knew how to drive manual. Made it home without much issue. Took me a little while to figure out it was tuned (APR Stage 1) and had a SuperSprint catback exhaust (a couple nice finds since the ford dealership likely didn't realize it had any mods). Fast forward a year or so with no mods and I finally got the itch. First I started changing the oil, then the cam follower.... you can imagine the progression of events. I'll add more to this when I get time.

Last edited:

Evermynd

Nice choice of wheels and tires. What size are they?
The gold OZ’s are 17x8 +48 with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (245/40/R17). The fitment is flush running -2 degrees of camber front and back with practically no rubbing. I’m still tweaking the ride height because I was rubbing on hard cornering with my track setup (OE wheels with the potenzas).