GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Everything you should know about a manual 6 speed swap

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion

Definitive Guide VW Audi 6-Speed Manual Transmissions (MQ350 Family of Transmissions including 02M-02Q-0FB), click HERE

VW 6 Speed (02Q) Transmission Repair Manual, click HERE

02Q Gear Ratio Comparison Thread, click HERE

Shaving the Bell Housing

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Smart. Installing a clutch is way too much work to risk having to redo it because you tried to save a few bucks on parts.

I'll be doing this soon myself on my jeep. New clutch is ready to go just need to find the time.
WW did you finish the new clutch in your Jeep, .. ready to tackle swapping out your autobox for a 02Q 6 speed?

EDIT: Use VCDS or OBD Eleven to code transmission type to Manual

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
UPDATE: The clutch line from the GTI I got at the Salvage Yard didn't fit well it was a bit short but since it had some extra bends I was able to stretch it to make it fit. NOT ideal as the whole clutch line is under tension so I ordered up this Flexible Stainless Steel clutch line from ECS Tuning.

EDIT: The new clutch line arrived and is Too short, so this looks like a No Go for the ECS clutch line for the 02Q swap! Too bad, as the red color of the line really adds someting to the engine bay.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
WW did you finish the new clutch in your Jeep, .. ready to tackle swapping out your autobox for a 02Q 6 speed?

EDIT: Use VCDS or OBD Eleven to code transmission type to Manual
Missed this post. No haven't done the clutch on the jeep yet. I am just starting a rebuild on the harley engine so that has taken up my time. My friend is just about to start the 6 speed swap though on his 2.5L.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Missed this post. No haven't done the clutch on the jeep yet. I am just starting a rebuild on the harley engine so that has taken up my time. My friend is just about to start the 6 speed swap though on his 2.5L.
Great reach out if he needs any advice.

If he looking to save on gas the 6 Speed from a GLi would be the way to go.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I have the Clutch line disconnected coz the installation is too tight and under tension, with the rocking back and forth of the engine this can't be good long term and could fail and leave us stranded. I ordered a stainless steel clutch line from ECS Tuning but it falls short of expectations as it is shorter than expected. The GTI clutch line we have should work but the angle at which it engages with the clutch fitting at the firewall is the problem. The fitting on the Golf points 90 degrees straight down and is differs from the one on the GTI in that it points forward by about 45 degrees, that requires that the GTI clutch line to be stretched to the max to fit the Golf. I'll be putting things back until i find another solutiion.

Today, I removed the restriction in the clutch bleeder block which slows or soften clutch engagement. Read these instructions

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Although our MK1 Tiguan is an automatic, there is slightly more space between the engine and the firewall. VW did offer the Tiguan with a 6 speed manual transmission so there is a good chance that the clutch line would be slightly longer and a better fit, so I'll start there.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I ordered a stainless steel clutch line from ECS Tuning but it falls short of expectations...
This has been my experience with ECS branded stuff. It seems most of the time I have bought the ECS version of something I end up returning it because of some issue or concern. There have been a couple of exceptions and I still buy other stuff from ECS as they are a great resource for parts. Despite what others have experienced I have always gotten good customer service from them.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Good feedback! In this case the ECS Clutch line does fit the MK6 GTI but not on 02Q swap into the Golf. To be fair its coz of the angle of the clutch line connection (90 degree vs 45 degrees) used on the clutch master cylinder which is different from the one on the GTI.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I drove a GTI today the clutch in the Golf with the 02Q seems a lot harder. I may look to see if I can locate a GTI Clutch Master Cylinder at Pin-n-Save.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
My Son says the clutch pedal is fine so no we won't be doing the Clutch Master after all.

As mentioned in the Definitive Guide on the 02Q Transmission (Above) in the Input Shaft Bearing section about a third of the way down on Single Mass Flywheel being noisy. Our DKM Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Kit setup is VERY Noisy at Idle it clatters like a diesel which can be heard in the cabin. My next project is to install this Main Shaft Service Kit from ECS to correct the Shaft Play, hopefully it resolves some of the noise.

PS. IMO Other people who have done the 02Q swap, most probly have used a "used" Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) so the noise is absorbed and not so much an issue.

Last edited: