GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust swap on a 2.5L 2012

ILoveGrains

I want to swap my exhaust with an exhaust of a GTI or an R but I'm not sure if it's possible, I'm new to the whole modding thing so I'm not sure.
Does anyone know which model of GTI or R exhaust is compatible to put in a 2.5L base 2012? Anything helps thank you.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
AFAIK the GTI exhausts are not long enough, you have to find some kind of piping to make it fit.
Also, the mk6 GTI have the dual exhaust, so you'd have to look for a mk5 exhaust which have tips only on the single side. And even then, you'll have to make up the length that's missing.

Moreover, all mk6 exhausts are 2.5", i think stock Golf/Rabbit exhaust is 2.25". Easy fix but just something to keep in mind.

If you're in the SoCal area, I might be parting ways with my Eurojet catback, should bolt right up in your 2012.

ILoveGrains

AFAIK the GTI exhausts are not long enough, you have to find some kind of piping to make it fit.
Also, the mk6 GTI have the dual exhaust, so you'd have to look for a mk5 exhaust which have tips only on the single side. And even then, you'll have to make up the length that's missing.

Moreover, all mk6 exhausts are 2.5", i think stock Golf/Rabbit exhaust is 2.25". Easy fix but just something to keep in mind.

If you're in the SoCal area, I might be parting ways with my Eurojet catback, should bolt right up in your 2012.
yeah I'm actually from SoCal, how much would you like for your Eurojet catback?
But overall if I wanted a dual or quad exhaust I would have to make adjustments to the piping?
One of the main reasons why I wanted the GTI or R exhaust was to fit a diffuser on it, but I might just find a universal fit one and install an exhaust that is dual side.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
yeah I'm actually from SoCal, how much would you like for your Eurojet catback?
But overall if I wanted a dual or quad exhaust I would have to make adjustments to the piping?
One of the main reasons why I wanted the GTI or R exhaust was to fit a diffuser on it, but I might just find a universal fit one and install an exhaust that is dual side.
The GTI exhaust swap has been done a lot and is not hard to do.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-stock-2-5-exhaust-to-stock-gti-exhaust.290556/

You can usually find them for sale in Southern Califoria on offer up for super cheap and in great condition. I am in Orange County and I see them all the time. Also the rear valance is easy to find.

I've not heard that the exhaust is to short from a GTI but I guess that depends on where you are cutting from. The exaust is a slightly different diameter though. Just buy the exhaust and take it to a muffler shop and have them install it. I have heard it is really cheap to have a shop install it (under $100).

The R is a different story. While it is possible to fit the actual exhaust, the valance is impossible to find.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The GTI exhaust swap has been done a lot and is not hard to do.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-stock-2-5-exhaust-to-stock-gti-exhaust.290556/

You can usually find them for sale in Southern Califoria on offer up for super cheap and in great condition. I am in Orange County and I see them all the time. Also the rear valance is easy to find.

I've not heard that the exhaust is to short from a GTI but I guess that depends on where you are cutting from. The exaust is a slightly different diameter though. Just buy the exhaust and take it to a muffler shop and have them install it. I have heard it is really cheap to have a shop install it (under $100).

The R is a different story. While it is possible to fit the actual exhaust, the valance is impossible to find.
Yup the R exhaust piping is much different, a few years ago we looked at putting the MK6 R exhaust on the 2.5 but came to the conclusion that it was not worth it.

If you are able to find a rear valance from a R and want the center exhaust outlet I would recommend just cutting the 2.5 piping off where it goes into the suitcase section and getting an exhaust shop to extend the piping straight back to a dual exhaust tip and weld a section of tubing to support the exhaust tip using the existing rubber hangers.

PS. I've seen this setup on a GTI so it will work on the Golf 2.5 just as well as any other exhaust.

my 2 cents

Last edited:

Mk6milli

I put a rev9 catback on my mk6 golf and removed the cat. For 300$ it is not a bad option if you are tight on cash. I'm still on the fence of if I like the sound or not. Would not recommend removing the cat or if you do maybe go with the rev9 with the muffler option. Mine is just straight piped and it is a little loud. I'm used to driving civics and accords so at the least I can say it sounds better than any of those that I have owned. The rev9 will also fit with the gti diffuser but I think you will have to modify the holes for the exhaust on the diffuser as it comes with 3.5" tips. (Also going for about 400 minus shipping at the moment.)