GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Mk7

DarkCloak

Banned
I just think that at some point, one does have to consider the badge. It's one thing to spend $30K on a Golf, but it's another to spend $40-45 on one and have to explain that no, one is not insane, and there is a good reason that it costs that much and yet is NOT an Audi, a BMW or whatever. There is a limit to how far the respect for a Golf goes, regardless of whether it's gold plated or not.

I am not refuting the fact that the R is a great car, but I just think there is a glass ceiling that it can never cross to be in the same range as BMWs and Audis, independent of what parts go in it.

I do not understand. Is the GT-R less because it reads Nissan instead of Infiniti? Is the Corvette less because it has a bowtie and is not labeled a Cadillac? Is the Acura NSX better than the Honda NSX because it has a different badge?

Pseudo Nim

Ready to race!
I do not understand. Is the GT-R less because it reads Nissan instead of Infiniti? Is the Corvette less because it has a bowtie and is not labeled a Cadillac? Is the Acura NSX better than the Honda NSX because it has a different badge?

No. The examples you provide are of performance cars, which live by their model badge and NOT the original manufacturer badge. The NSX is an NSX regardless of who makes it, just like the Corvette is. My counter-example to you is the Nissan Juke GT-R - it costs $100K and who will buy it? The 25 or so Saudis who just want to have it, but it would never sell on the "normal" market.

VW is not in the market of high-performance sports cars, just like it's not in the market of luxury sedans, as evidenced by the complete failure of the Phaeton, despite it being essentially an A8 for less money.

PDPCEO

Ready to race!
when are they planning to show what the gti will look like?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
ugh.. If that's the new R then screw that.. the MK6 R is perfect imho. The front end on this one looks like crap

DarkCloak

Banned
No. The examples you provide are of performance cars, which live by their model badge and NOT the original manufacturer badge. The NSX is an NSX regardless of who makes it, just like the Corvette is. My counter-example to you is the Nissan Juke GT-R - it costs $100K and who will buy it? The 25 or so Saudis who just want to have it, but it would never sell on the "normal" market.

VW is not in the market of high-performance sports cars, just like it's not in the market of luxury sedans, as evidenced by the complete failure of the Phaeton, despite it being essentially an A8 for less money.

The Golf RS with 360hp and four wheel drive running 12s in the quarter would not be a high performance model? It would be one of the fastest cars on the market that upper middle class persons can purchase. Your logic is further confusing to me.

I think the Golf RS would be great. It would be fast, practical, and understatedly classy!

johnnyveelish

Go Kart Champion
it would still be based on the new platform that all examples stated will be sharing. you can stamp nissan or infiniti, honda or acura, but the gtr and nsx are still car on their own and not based on an existing platform. it would be more wise to compare a lancer/evo, impreza/sti to golf/R.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I'd pay $50k for a Golf RS, no questions asked. Would I prefer it be an RS3? Probably, but either one would be the only car like that in the USA - period. You currently just cannot buy a hatch which performs on that level, not for a million dollars...

DarkCloak

Banned
it would still be based on the new platform that all examples stated will be sharing. you can stamp nissan or infiniti, honda or acura, but the gtr and nsx are still car on their own and not based on an existing platform. it would be more wise to compare a lancer/evo, impreza/sti to golf/R.

Good Point. I pick the NSX, GT-R, and Corvette merely to point out that the badge is of secondary importance to the actual content of the car. A Golf RS would be an RS whether or not it was had a VW on the grille or had four rings on the grille and was labeled the Audi RS3. Plus the MQB chassis will probably be better than the chassis' of many higher priced luxury models anyway.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I just think that at some point, one does have to consider the badge. It's one thing to spend $30K on a Golf, but it's another to spend $40-45 on one and have to explain that no, one is not insane, and there is a good reason that it costs that much and yet is NOT an Audi, a BMW or whatever. There is a limit to how far the respect for a Golf goes, regardless of whether it's gold plated or not.

I am not refuting the fact that the R is a great car, but I just think there is a glass ceiling that it can never cross to be in the same range as BMWs and Audis, independent of what parts go in it.

I agree 100%.

McQueen77

Banned
C4L, a banned mk6 member on a discussion on that link? :laugh:

yup, just noticed that.. on there, going on and on in defense of VW, arguing with some guy that calls the R a Kraut shitbox.. I love it

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I hope that the golf RS does make it here, if it does it will be a rare beast for sure though. I think I have seen maybe 2 golf R around here. If I could afford one I'd be all over it. I couldn't give two shits about brand identity, I buy cars cause I like them, not because I won't to be seen behind a badge.