GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI AWD conversion

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

dfideth

FuturaGTI, Your the man.
Your not the type of person that buys the R32 so he can just sit on the couch when he gets home.

=france90=

hello guys, im italian, I have a sirocco r I converted awd components golf r. to complete the conversion I have to connect the electrical part but do not know how to do it. there is electrical wiring ready for installation or a wiring diagram to make it happen? how did you?

help me please

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
It's been a week since the last update. Been waiting on parts, mostly.

Recently finished up the floor. Painted on the top side.

Golf R Sway bar, nuts and bolts for the suspension, and centre driveshaft support mounts

HPA Turboback Quadpack Exhaust (un-resonated).

and finally, Golf R rear bumper

Back to work this week. A few mounts/brackets need to be fabricated for things like the angle drive and centre driveshaft, but it's all coming together nicely! Another challenge will be running vaccuum lines and a switch for the flapper on the exhuast. Since the Golf R was wired for it stock, this exhaust comes with one. Since GTIs dont come with that option, a switch will have to be wired to run this manually. One more thing that will make the car one of a kind
Dont know why you didn't just buy the R style valance that fits the gti bumper instead of buying a whole new golf r rear bumper but looks good either way

anticon

Ready to race!
Instead of fitting the GTI with awd, why not get an R and modify it to look like a GTI? Seems like that would be much cheaper. I'm sure there are many GTI owners that would swap out their bumpers, skirts, etc. Plus give cash on top of it. And then you still have that sweet R interior.
Just a thought.

Ha?

Why? He's doing something crazy and original. No one has done an awd swap on a mk6 that I know of. It's a truly one of a kind car instead of 1 out of 5000

:word:

Thank you. The classic "should have gotten an R" posts.. :fighting0030: :rolleyes:

I admire you for going through with this, just subbed on vortex as well :thumbsup:

:word:

Nobody is hating. We all give him credit for this build. But the 99% of us just want to know why not just get the R since he is making one.

I have considered doing this build on several occasions. I also have tried to trade for an R a couple times. It just never was worth the step up in mileage and wear, imo, as I hold fairly low mileage on my GTI, and am the only owner. By now, I've gotten deep enough into my GTI that I won't let it go, even when it comes time to buy another transportation vessel. I'd love to by a new R, but I know I'd be sinking the same things into it as I do the GTI, making it nearly redundant.
He is not "making an R." He is making an AWD GTI. For people speculating other options, the only one would be to buy an R and swap in GTI motor; and of course that'd be silly.
They are technically different engines; that's the point.

Why not just buy an R and then convert to fwd? No one has a fwd golf R, that would be unique.

You don't downgrade. Converting a GTI to AWD is not downgrading.

Last edited:

Lanti

hello,

possible to use golf mk6 TDI 4x4 to mk6 GTI awd swap?what is the difference tdi vs golf r?
thanks