GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help making a decision!

Hey all! So, I have a 2.5, stock w/ 109k miles. Now I’ve been planning for months to go ahead and start my modifying journey on my baby - start with IE Stage 2, coilovers, Etc. But I am so torn on making the decision since I’ll be spending a few thousand dollars on it and only have about 45 HP? I’ve had so many great memories with my car and I want to daily it till the wheels fall off. My mates contradict my decision of modifying it and spending so much of money while in return I’ll only get so much performance out of it. Yes, I know - “Do what makes you happy” but I need y’alls help to justify this decision lool. The homies have GTIs and are running close too 300 hp already. I’ll probably work on building a turbo kit for my 2.5 if I do decide on start modifying it as long as I have enough money saved. What do y’all think? Save the money and go for a GTI or pull the trigger and support the 07k life? I really appreciate y’alls feedback!

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Depends on the end game. If you want a turbo just buy a GTI and skip trying to turbo the 2.5L. If you just want more power I would skip IE stage 2 and just go IE stage 1 which is the biggest bank for the buck. Suspension is a maintenance item so when the time comes for new shocks do it then. The biggest thing for me was the difference in trim between the GTI and the 2.5L but it's easy enough to swap out the steering wheel, shift knobs, stereo, etc. Just remember chances are if you go the GTI route you will likely mod it also sooo, there's that. I love the 2.5L engine and after putting another 5K in mods it's nicer than a stock GTI and was still $5k cheaper in the end.

Last edited:

Mk6milli

Honestly, I have been in the same boat as you but I would really like to find a mk6 Golf R to build.
That being said I think that this platform does have potential but as you mentioned it costs a lot more to get the same thing the GTIs are running for half the price.

Depending on how far you want to go I think this chassis is great to modify just by the simple fact that they COULD make good power, are super reliable (depending on how much you mod it?), and how many built GTIs do you see Vs. the 2.5l? So it has a unique factor going for it. These cars can also be turbo-charged if you have that kinda money eventually to spend on it. I think the argument mainly comes from what I mentioned above: "Why would you wanna spend that much when you can make a GTI even faster with far less costs?". But that just really boils down to what is the end goal? Do you like the idea of it being unique to most other builds? Or are you simply looking to spend less and just go fast?

Also, these engines sound amazing. Check out the video on YT from PPH motoring. They have a built 2.5l turbo making around 600HP and it is an awesome little car. Good luck with whatever you end up doing and if you do build the 2.5, don't forget to keep us updated in the forums on how the build is going!! 🥂

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hey all! So, I have a 2.5, stock w/ 109k miles. Now I’ve been planning for months to go ahead and start my modifying journey on my baby - start with IE Stage 2, coilovers, Etc. But I am so torn on making the decision since I’ll be spending a few thousand dollars on it and only have about 45 HP? I’ve had so many great memories with my car and I want to daily it till the wheels fall off. My mates contradict my decision of modifying it and spending so much of money while in return I’ll only get so much performance out of it. Yes, I know - “Do what makes you happy” but I need y’alls help to justify this decision lool. The homies have GTIs and are running close too 300 hp already. I’ll probably work on building a turbo kit for my 2.5 if I do decide on start modifying it as long as I have enough money saved. What do y’all think? Save the money and go for a GTI or pull the trigger and support the 07k life? I really appreciate y’alls feedback!
It really comes down to your personality and goals. If you are going to be swayed by others to add a turbo and join the horse power race then get the GTI.

If its for getting to work reliably and having fun modding, and maintenance and operating cost matter to you, then you are on the right track already.

Cheers

PS. Having had to rebuild a 2.0TSI (EA888) engine after a failed timing chain tensioner albeit in a Tiguan, I am not intermediated working on the TSI engine, BUT my concerns on the early generation of the engine were confirmed. I would recommend getting a GTI with the latest version of the engine that you can afford.

Last edited: