GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help - need CA / CARB air intake replacement

sofakingrad

Hello All - tldr: need a carb/smog compliant air intake to pass smog.

I'm a long time VW fan, but moved away from mods because I was going to go broke. This was early 2000's. FF many years, married, kids... so I both a salvaged title 2014 MK6 GTI with full pictures of everything before and after... the headlights weren't even broke. Anyway, I'm not from CA originally and most of my days of working on cars was old 70's American cars.

We love the little GTI and have made great use of it. After owning for a couple years, was finally due for a smog. The car has a nice ECS air intake on it, but isn't CARB compliant.... this is how I started to learn about CARB. Anyway, I have to get the smog passed, I don't have the original air intake to put on. Finding stock air intake used hasn't worked out. New units aren't much less than the couple CARB approved cold air intakes I've found (Neuspeed & aFe).

It seems replacing with a CARB compliant intake would be easiest, but cost slightly more. Are there any other options besides the Neuspeed and aFe? Is the used ECS kit worth trying to sell?

Any other ideas, advice, etc... I much appreciated. TIA

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
neuspeed is in socal and is one of the most popular CARB legal intakes.
if you buy any carb legal intake, ensure it comes with the CARB sticker, and make sure it is visible on the intake itself. my neuspeed intake has worked flawlessly. i placed the CARB sticker on the heat shield piece that's directly on the intake and have passed smog multiple times with it

im not sure if K&N makes an intake for the gti, but usually K&N, aem(made by k&n), injen, aFe are all carb legal for most cars

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
neuspeed is in socal and is one of the most popular CARB legal intakes.
if you buy any carb legal intake, ensure it comes with the CARB sticker, and make sure it is visible on the intake itself. my neuspeed intake has worked flawlessly. i placed the CARB sticker on the heat shield piece that's directly on the intake and have passed smog multiple times with it

im not sure if K&N makes an intake for the gti, but usually K&N, aem(made by k&n), injen, aFe are all carb legal for most cars
Exactly!!