GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Latch not opening hatch

twokfive1

Hey all, I have a 2012 gti, I’ve been having an issue where the rear logo latch doesn’t open the hatch. It doesn’t even try, no noise nothing, I’ve been using the key to open the hatch so the actual mechanism seems to be fine. I’ve also replaced the vw logo latch assembly and it didn’t fix it so I’m inclined to think the issue is elsewhere, maybe a fuse or battery related? I’ve taken a look at the wires in the hatch and everything looks good. I should also add that it will work once in a blue moon (especially during warmer weather). Thanks guys!

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
So you're saying its not mechanical? The way I understand it, with the key to pop it, you're not actually rotating the emblem/badge. I'm not sure if the mechanism is working fine like you said.

twokfive1

By using the key I mean clicking the trunk open button on the key fob. Once the fob has given the command to the latch mechanism it opens up the trunk right away. Just for whatever reason the latch mechanism isn’t receiving any input from the vw emblem while it’s being rotating

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
So we've narrowed it down to something electrical. Probably a wire in there or something.

king1138

Go Kart Champion
This may seem like a stupid question, but have you tried hitting the unlock button a second time and then using the latch? You can adjust the unlock settings in the cluster, it's possible you may have it set so that the unlock only unlocks the doors, not the hatch. For a while my spare key did this, and it always annoyed me until I remembered to adjust the setting. Now it works normally.