GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifter becoming loose all of the sudden

Dan_SCH

This has happened maybe twice now, and I've had the car for a month and a half. At a random time, my shifts go from the usual feel with its typical amount of resistance, to feeling about 75% less resistance per shift. There is no extra left and right play while I'm in gear than there was before. It then goes back to normal within the same day or the next time I drive the car. I tested for clutch slip as well which was not present (in case this info could help with anything).

Just wondering if this is an issue that I could look past, or if this is something serious that I need to get checked out. The car drives the same, except with much easier and I guess "lighter" shifts.

2010 Golf 2.5L
128.5k Kilometers (79.8k miles)
Completely stock engine and trans.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Check your shifter cables. Does the clutch pedal feel the same? Engage at the same spot?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
This has happened maybe twice now, and I've had the car for a month and a half. At a random time, my shifts go from the usual feel with its typical amount of resistance, to feeling about 75% less resistance per shift. There is no extra left and right play while I'm in gear than there was before. It then goes back to normal within the same day or the next time I drive the car. I tested for clutch slip as well which was not present (in case this info could help with anything).

Just wondering if this is an issue that I could look past, or if this is something serious that I need to get checked out. The car drives the same, except with much easier and I guess "lighter" shifts.

2010 Golf 2.5L
128.5k Kilometers (79.8k miles)
Completely stock engine and trans.
VW Shifter bushings are known to wear and get sloppy, maybe an oppotunity to install a Diesel Geek short shift kit and update the shifter bushings while you're in there, I think Waskally Wabbit did a writeup some time ago.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

PS, On a Boxster I had I solved the same with new Engine and transmission mounts, haven't had the same issue on the Golf 2.5