GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI sounds like a desiel at low RPM

GTI-OCD

Ready to race!
I just picked up a 2011 GTI yesterday, and I just wanted to check in with others on the engine sound I'm hearing at lower RPMs.

When accelerating somewhat hard from a stop or anytime below around 2500 RPM, the engine sort of clatters and knocks much like a the sound of a diesel motor. Above 2500 everything sounds fine.

This is my first VW. Is this normal? Is it a pre-break-in thing?

I found this thread on a common rattling noise, but I wouldn't really call what I'm hearing a rattle.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8045

v8282w

Ready to race!
I don't thinks its normal. Without hearing it, no one can really tell though. Post up a vid. Is this your first vw? The injectors are really loud compared to most cars, so it could be that.

LS6V

Passed Driver's Ed
I found a slight hesitation when starting up and at below 2k when cold. Not sure, as this is my first VW too

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
The clatter you are hearing is most likily the direct fuel injection. Pretty much any new car that has direct injection makes a clattering/ticking noise that some say sounds like a diesel.

allset

Go Kart Champion
the clicking is the direct injectors firing. They have a very high psi fuel pump behind them

GTI-OCD

Ready to race!
Does it sound like THIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4tl8zuMAs

I think that's normal based on the info above regarding the high PSI fuel pump & DI.

Yes, mine sounds like that, but what I'm referring to is the sound the engine makes when it is under load at low RPM. It isn't a constant sound like the clicking of the fuel injectors. It is hard to describe. It has been a long time since I've heard a car with engine knock, but based on my memory it is similar to that sort of sound.

I'm going to take it to the dealer to see what they say, but I wanted to see if others thought the motor sounded odd in their GTIs when they first got them.

JhnR

Banned
it might be the waste gate rattle. the infamous.

Stevec717

Ready to race!
If it is engine knock (pinging) that's bad. Shouldn't happen with the knock sensors unless there's something wrong with them. Are you using premium fuel?

Steve

GTI-OCD

Ready to race!
I dropped by my dealer today and drove another manual GTI, and it sounds pretty much the same as mine. The simplest way to describe it, is that the engine sounds a little rough at low RPMs. But this just seems to be a character of this motor. I'm sure that I'll get used to it.

DasGTI11

Passed Driver's Ed
I dropped by my dealer today and drove another manual GTI, and it sounds pretty much the same as mine. The simplest way to describe it, is that the engine sounds a little rough at low RPMs. But this just seems to be a character of this motor. I'm sure that I'll get used to it.

I hear you, bro. I hate the way this engine sounds at low rpms. It's just damn rough, and not at all what it should be.

I think it's gotten progressively worse, so to the dealer I go (for peace of mind at the very least).

Best to you

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
it gets worse with a downpipe. I like the performance but it sounds "unrefined " to me, anyway

that's why the 2006-2010 GTIs came with the intake noise pipe... 2011s and up get to listen to the sweet sound of clatter at low rpms now....

I got a 2010 (with OEM noise pipe) ... low rpm sound is masked by the jet ski howl... lmao

Take comfort in the fact that the VW DI motor is more refined than any other DI out there. For whatever that's worth.

Last edited: