GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Steering Wheel

BrianWithGolf

Ready to race!
Recently picked up a Golf R steering wheel for my car, anyone have a good DIY for replacing this thing I have looked but really not sure where I need to start.

Thanks in advance

Also my current steering wheel is not MF so im assuming i need to buy a Steering Wheel Control Module? Does it matter which module I get? I drive a 2011 Golf 2.5L Sportline with Bluetooth

Cheers,

sokhangoo

Ready to race!
really want to see the outcome, cuz i have the same car az u and really want to change the steering wheel .. how much was it ? with or w/o air bag ?

BrianWithGolf

Ready to race!
really want to see the outcome, cuz i have the same car az u and really want to change the steering wheel .. how much was it ? with or w/o air bag ?

I'll post pics as soon as I install it, I bought the wheel online on eBay with the Airbag it was £359.48 GBP or $581.93 CAD with shipping included.

I'm still missing the Steering wheel control module so that I can get the buttons working and not sure what else I will need; possibly a different wire harness.

Antonio Monteiro

Ready to race!
If you were here in the States, it would probably be better off buying a GTI instead of trying to make the Golf look like a GTI.

dstill

Ready to race!
Just cover the R you have a GTI wheel it's the exact same thing. How much is a GTI in Canada $38- $40k.

Sorry for disagreeing but....no.........the R wheel has a gloss black surround over the wheel and buttons, GTi is a silver colour, so this isn't a GTi wheel.:)

Last edited:

BrianWithGolf

Ready to race!
Sorry for disagreeing but....no.........the R wheel has a gloss balck surround over the wheel and buttons, GTi is a silver colour, so this isnt a GTi wheel.:)

The GTI wheel also has the red stitching around the wheel instead of the R Line grey :thumbsup:

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
The Golf R steering wheel with the grey stitching looks better in the Golf's interior.

I don't see why OP was bashed, it's not like he has put an R badge on his car, the steering wheel is an R wheel, so the badge is OK in my book.

upgrad3

Ready to race!
If you lived here in Canada, you would understand why It is better to not live in the states, and It's not a GTI steering wheel.

I'm not even going to comment directly against that statement and I'm not a "pro-American", but WTF does Antonio Monteiro's comment have anything to do with saying that America is better then Canada? and then again, who the fuck cares?

Last edited:

dstill

Ready to race!
The Golf R steering wheel with the grey stitching looks better in the Golf's interior.

I don't see why OP was bashed, it's not like he has put an R badge on his car, the steering wheel is an R wheel, so the badge is OK in my book.

Yes, it is down to personal preference i suppose. I took the R insert off and replaced it with a plain silver one, i guess i now have a hybrid wheel, ha ha.:lol:

I must say though the wheel makes the interior look far better, even more than i thought before i fitted it. I got a great deal also, brand new wheel £158 shipped to the UK, without airbag though.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
I'm not even going to comment directly against that statement and I'm not a "pro-American", but WTF does Antonio Monteiro's comment have anything to do with saying that America is better then Canada? and then again, who the fuck cares?

Well "If you were here in the states" was said... so therefore the comparison was prompted.

If you were here in the States, it would probably be better off buying a GTI instead of trying to make the Golf look like a GTI.

Nothing on that wheel indicates GTI. As everyone else said, it's the R wheel. Changing the steering wheel doesn't make one car look like another. It's only if he started through R or GTI badges on the rear hatch... then that's a no-no.

I prefer the silver accents on the GTI wheel over the black on the R wheel... Flows better with the interior.

Maybe on a GTI it blends a little better, but as others have said.. the R wheel may actually work better in a Golf, since the stitching is more subdued, etc.