GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTI vs 2010 WRX

spessx

Ready to race!
So I've been saving up and planning to buy a WRX for about 6 months now. I went out and test drove both of them on the same roads within 20 minutes of each other on Saturday. I wanted to see if anyone else has done the same. Here's what I found:

GTI:
Very refined
Higher paint quality
Much higher interior quality (I'd say it rivals my wife's '06 bmw 530!)
Smooth drive train
Much better handling
Much better stereo
No torque steer (I hate front wheel drives and torque steer in particular)
Better fuel mileage
6 spd transmission

WRX:
It's super fast compared to the GTI. I mean SUPER fast.
The brakes feel much better.
The interior look/felt pretty economy car like
The suspension was sloppy and didn't have much steering feel
The drive train was coarse but made some cool sounds
WRX seemed to have more room overall
It has crazy straight line potential that the GTI would never be able to match

Pricing will be about the same on both cars so that's a wash. Anyone else got any feedback? Right now I'm leaning towards the GTI.

-S

darknightohio1

Ready to race!
Subaru paint quality is crap. (Very soft clear, very thin, and is prone to chipping.)

Subarus are known for great engines, and drivetrains. (I had an 04 WRX for 5 years and very few things went wrong aside from the crappy paint and the very thin sheet metal. From what I understand the sheet metal on the 2010 WRX is also very thin.

Aftermarket is large for both cars, but the Nasioc community is hard to beat.

I went for the GTI because of the great interior, paint quality, handling, Xenons, and I out grew the modding bug. Plus I feel the GTI looks better than the 08-10 WRX.

If you like to play in the snow the WRX is very nice with some snows, but I don't really care much for snow and here in Ohio we only have 2-3 really big snowfalls a year.

In the end they are both great cars, the Subaru will probably have a larger aftermarket and a much bigger community.

Last edited:

nyte3k

Ready to race!
My personal opinion would put the GTI on top. The interior of the GTI just blows the subaru out of the water. I haven't gone as far as driving the WRX so I cannot comment on that.

One thing that kills it for me with the WRX are the taillights. I cannot stand clear taillights, they just add cheapness to a car. And this is just personal preference but the GTI looks a little bit more grown and practical.

Jever

Ready to race!
Be careful with the WRX as they had some serious engine issues in 09. As did the STi. I think the WRX had some rod-bearing failure and the STi had bad ringlands I think.

Not sure if the 2010 models are fixed so do some reading before you buy. It was not just a small run of cars that were effected. All of them were.

Andyman

Ready to race!
I chose the 2010 GTI, I test drove the WRX STI. It is a nice car... the fuel efficiency is crap and the interior looked cheap. I went with the DSG on my GTI, the WRX STI didn't have an automatic version, I like having an automatic with the pseudo option to shift gears manually. No lie, the WRX STI can really get on it! I figure with with some ECU upgrades and what not, the GTI will come close. Bottom line the MK VI GTI just looks better and drives better IMHO. :)

mrbenyong

Passed Driver's Ed
GTI please.
the only thing the subaru can do is be faster. but seriously its not worth the cons.

one big CON is that when u step out of the subaru, u will look like a loser. (not to enthusiast but to GIRLS!)

come on, u will FEEL CHEAP in the subaru.

Jever

Ready to race!
I chose the 2010 GTI, I test drove the WRX STI. It is a nice car... the fuel efficiency is crap and the interior looked cheap. I went with the DSG on my GTI, the WRX STI didn't have an automatic version, I like having an automatic with the pseudo option to shift gears manually. No lie, the WRX STI can really get on it! I figure with with some ECU upgrades and what not, the GTI will come close. Bottom line the MK VI GTI just looks better and drives better IMHO. :)

The STi is twice the car that the GTi is trust me, I used to own a 05. The GTi is nice inside and is pretty refined but the STi is way above any gti in terms of performance and longevity.

Adem

Passed Driver's Ed
I would take (and have taken) the quality finish of the GTI over the extra power of the WRX. I took one look at the interior and didnt even bother test driving it lol. Its all personal choice though!! Everybody gets pleasure out of differnt things. Different cars cater for different people!

flokwon

Came real close of getting a 2010 WRX Premium but chose GTI instead because better interior, better amenities, better standard features, better fuel mileage, cost less on the price.

The advantage of WRX is greater horsepower, boxer engine, AWD. If you are planning to have some fun in the snow, the Subie is for you. Personally think it is too expensive to pay 28k MSRP for a WRX Premium while I only paid 26k for the GTI after tax.

jjkh

Passed Driver's Ed
I would take (and have taken) the quality finish of the GTI over the extra power of the WRX. I took one look at the interior and didnt even bother test driving it lol. Its all personal choice though!! Everybody gets pleasure out of differnt things. Different cars cater for different people!

I totally agree with you. Every year I goto local auto show and I always have hopes the the WRX interior is better. But as soon I sit inside I am disappointed. The shifter feels really cheesy. Interior and quality of materials makes a big difference in a car.

I don't know what's up with the trunk in the sedan but the bottom is not 100% flat. There is a slope at the back.

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
obviously our opinions are biased here; the theme you'll notice is that they're both different cars for different tastes - refinement leads to GTI, pure power and AWD leads to subaru; i like both but went with the GTI, it was right for me...

Cigar

Passed Driver's Ed
I chose the 2010 GTI, I test drove the WRX STI. It is a nice car...

The STi is twice the car that the GTi is trust me...

Where are you guys getting STi at? The OP is referring to the base WRX.

Anways... I test drove both cars back to back as well and came to your same conclusions except for one thing.

Due to the GTi's torque management, it felt alot quicker than the WRX. By no means is the WRX slow and we all know it's significantly faster 0-60, but I just really enjoy how exhilirating the GTi is. The powerband on the WRX is very narrow and I just found the entire experience BORING.

In addition to the superior thrill factor of the GTi, it's gear box, and clutch feel were also leagues beyond the WRX.

Trust me when I say that I know the dilemma you're in. I have researched many cars in this price range, including the cobalt SS and genesis coupe.

Overall... for me... the GTi is what I'll ultimately purchase.

mrbenyong

Passed Driver's Ed
awd is not all that important in these sub 270hp cars. remember we not talking about WRX STi here... so a well balanced FWD is just as good.

also a simple remap will make the GTI just about as powerful with better rev range.

VeeDoobin0825

I'm feeling the same way right now, deciding whether to go DUB or Rally. Although where I live now doesn't snow as often and I really don't like how much bigger the gas tank is on the wrx compared to gti. I love how the gti has all the gadgets like I feel very techno man and the incredible torque you get at 1800rpm. With the WRX, from the past I've driven my friends Sti and the first wrx that came to the states in 02 it felt cramped. Then I sat in the '10 wrx I like the feeling of the clutch, its deeper than from '05 - '07, So, i'm still deciding. As my friends tell me that VW's are more of an art form compared to WRX, you mod it or dress it up in anyway..it says art