GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lamin-X headlight question

floridabartaker

Passed Driver's Ed
I had planned to put the 6% lamin-x covers on my headlights to prevent the yellowing/scratching of the headlights. However, while browsing around, I saw a few people complaining of hairline cracks on their headlights after a few months/years after installing the film on their cars. This occurred in different brands of cars - couldn't find anything in the VW forums. People seem to think that it was either improper installation (tucking the holding tabs in rather than cutting them off/too much pressure while applying stretching the film) or heat retention.

Does anyone in the forum that has the film installed on their headlights more than a year have any issues so far? Thanks in advance.

iamhoward

Ready to race!
I've had mine on my mkiv for about a year and no problems, I have also never heard of this problem?

Unless you used a ton of pressure i can see no way the film with crack the headlight, its just a cover....

Ironhorse

Ready to race!
I've had mine on my mkiv for about a year and no problems, I have also never heard of this problem?

Unless you used a ton of pressure i can see no way the film with crack the headlight, its just a cover....

did you install precut/custom fit or did you buy a sheet and cut yourself? how was the install?

floridabartaker

Passed Driver's Ed

This is from a honda forum: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/646296-lamin-x-may-have-cracked-my-headlights/

This was from a nissan forum: http://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/443884-do-not-buy-lamin-x.html

I don't have any personal experience with the film, and when I saw these posts, I backed off. Maybe manufacturing quality is better in VWs. If no one had problems, I might reconsider.

iamhoward

Ready to race!
did you install precut/custom fit or did you buy a sheet and cut yourself? how was the install?

I bought a pre-cut sheet off of their site. The install was pretty easy, just line it up and carefully squeegee the water and bubbles out. Small bubbles and even fingerprints will fade away in a few weeks. I can take pictures if you want, even though it's a different car...

To floridabartaker: The reasons that the lenses cracked could be for a ton of reasons.
There could have been improper install, maybe they were glass lenses and had less give so they crack easier? They also said the heat caused cracks so maybe they have projector lights? They cause more heat then halogens so it could be a possibility. :iono:

It's just hard for me to believe that the film itself would have enough force to crack the lens when it "shrank"

victri

Passed Driver's Ed
I have pre-cut Lamin-x over my xenons. They've been on there about 10 months without any problems. Everything still looks great, except for a couple small scuff/rock marks. The Lamin-x is very flexible, so I would think that there's plenty of stretch to account for expansion/contraction. Even with DRLs on, I don't feel that our headlights get that hot (unless maybe you are running HIDs).

Before I bought mine, I did a ton of forum surfing. There are plenty of VW guys who have used it for years without incident (I paid particular attention to the newer models with plastic headlight lenses). I wouldn't worry unless we start seeing a whole bunch of VW people complaining about headlights cracking.

floridabartaker

Passed Driver's Ed
I have pre-cut Lamin-x over my xenons. They've been on there about 10 months without any problems. Everything still looks great, except for a couple small scuff/rock marks. The Lamin-x is very flexible, so I would think that there's plenty of stretch to account for expansion/contraction. Even with DRLs on, I don't feel that our headlights get that hot (unless maybe you are running HIDs).

Before I bought mine, I did a ton of forum surfing. There are plenty of VW guys who have used it for years without incident (I paid particular attention to the newer models with plastic headlight lenses). I wouldn't worry unless we start seeing a whole bunch of VW people complaining about headlights cracking.

Thanks for the information. This definitely makes me feel more confident about these. I think I'm going to bite the bullet. Every time I drive by a car with fogged up headlight lenses, I think I should put these on.

Ironhorse

Ready to race!
I bought a pre-cut sheet off of their site. The install was pretty easy, just line it up and carefully squeegee the water and bubbles out. Small bubbles and even fingerprints will fade away in a few weeks. I can take pictures if you want, even though it's a different car...

To floridabartaker: The reasons that the lenses cracked could be for a ton of reasons.
There could have been improper install, maybe they were glass lenses and had less give so they crack easier? They also said the heat caused cracks so maybe they have projector lights? They cause more heat then halogens so it could be a possibility. :iono:

It's just hard for me to believe that the film itself would have enough force to crack the lens when it "shrank"

thanks. what's the coldest temp at which it's ok to install? thinking I might need to wait until the spring...

floridabartaker

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks. what's the coldest temp at which it's ok to install? thinking I might need to wait until the spring...

Their installation instructions (it's a PDF file, don't remember where I got it) states that they have to be at least 70F/21C to install properly.

victri

Passed Driver's Ed

It'll be a pain to install in the cold. Definitely wait till it's warm, unless you have a heated garage. Also, have a heat gun or hairdryer handy. It really helped to heat and fit around the edges and curves. You want to work with the Lamin-x when it's soft and pliable.

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion
Their installation instructions (it's a PDF file, don't remember where I got it) states that they have to be at least 70F/21C to install properly.

I tried to install mine when it was like 60 degrees. I should have warmed them up with a hairdryer. I tried to stretch one and it actually ripped on me. $50 down the drain.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
Glad I read this. Mine just arrived in the mail. It's about 20*F right now. I want to get these on before I get any rock chips. But it sounds like I need to wait until summer? That would really suck.

edit: Damn! it says 70*F in bold on the instructions. I wish they would have put that on the website, or let me know BEFORE I purchased. That's $50 I could have used elsewhere for now, then just purchased when its actually warm.

Last edited:

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Glad I read this. Mine just arrived in the mail. It's about 20*F right now. I want to get these on before I get any rock chips. But it sounds like I need to wait until summer? That would really suck.

edit: Damn! it says 70*F in bold on the instructions. I wish they would have put that on the website, or let me know BEFORE I purchased. That's $50 I could have used elsewhere for now, then just purchased when its actually warm.

Use a hairdryer on the lamin x and a space heater pointed at the headlight and you should be fine.

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion

Or just take 'em to a shop.

If you DIY, be careful. Don't be a damn fool like me.