GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going TTRS clutch route, questions.

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
TTRS clutch route

UPDATE: 9/17/2014
After install, I was pretty stoked about it so didn't notice anything, but as I drove it, specially in traffic, it's definitely grabby and has a harsh feel to it as it's partially engaged and ready to take off. I'm hoping it goes away as the break in period ends, but I'll update soon with more info.

UPDATE: 9/25/2014
600 miles later, clutch is feeling a lot better. Chatter noise and feel is slowly going away. Clutch is getting softer, almost OEM feel, but still grabby.
So far I'm loving it, did a couple pulls with my subie buddies and was holding pretty dawm good! Let's see at 1k miles. :thumbup:

Update!*10/1/2014
Sooo, I just hit 1k, and I can say I'm loving it! seems OEM and but still grabby, like said before.*
Chatter went away but not completely, still chatters when I reverse, even if I put it back into neutral. once I start going forward and go through gears, stop, it'll be gone. go reverse and it starts to chatter again, even in neutral. So I'm hoping it goes away soon.*
Other then that, holds strong through all gears!*

Definitely recommended if anyone wants to go this route.*
TTRS PP with ClutchNet stage 2 disk.*

Cheers!

----------------------------------
Original post
vvvv

Alright alright, first off, I've been doing some research on clutch options. I was deciding to go with the SB S3 drop-in.. talk to Dave at Autunning in socal and book an apt on wednsday.

Options they gave me with MY budget, were S3 drop-in or a TTRS pp with a performance disc (waiting on response with what performance disc they'll be using).
for a couple hundred more, I'm deciding to go with the TTRS PP and the performance kit.
I'm already pushing my budget up to do it BETTER then just the drop in, so RSR for couple hundreds MORE, i cannot do.
Off of my research, its "almost" like the RSR kit correct? anyone have any experience with going this route?

Any inputs/hate/tips on the TTRS PP route?
what about chatter noise? Not that I mind, but out of curiosity, if anyone knows.

:thumbup:
on another note, I'm stoked to finally be able to push this car on stage 2. I HAVE NOT been able too. Babied it for way too long.

Cheers.

Last edited:

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I have the drop in and it's awesome. I have no doubt it would hold more then my ko4.

What was the price he gave you for the TTRS PP and this performance disc. I wasn't aware the TTRS PP was available separately yet? The best clutch in my opinion would be the TTRS PP with the DXD drop in disc.

You won't have any chatter with the PP because you would be keeping the stock dual mass flywheel. The drop in doesn't chatter but it can shutter until you get the hang of it since it is unsprung

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
I have the drop in and it's awesome. I have no doubt it would hold more then my ko4.

What was the price he gave you for the TTRS PP and this performance disc. I wasn't aware the TTRS PP was available separately yet? The best clutch in my opinion would be the TTRS PP with the DXD drop in disc.

You won't have any chatter with the PP because you would be keeping the stock dual mass flywheel. The drop in doesn't chatter but it can shutter until you get the hang of it since it is unsprung

they're doing everything for 1255. SBS3 woulda been 875.
I think I'll stick to the TTRS with perf. disc, but I'm hoping someone with experience chimes in.
From what he explained to me was that it's almost like the RSR clutch but using a different disc. kinda how some people were parting the RSR individually too be even cheaper..
I trust these guys, but I'd hate be guinea pig on this clutch. lol

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
they're doing everything for 1255. SBS3 woulda been 875.
I think I'll stick to the TTRS with perf. disc, but I'm hoping someone with experience chimes in.
From what he explained to me was that it's almost like the RSR clutch but using a different disc. kinda how some people were parting the RSR individually too be even cheaper..
I trust these guys, but I'd hate be guinea pig on this clutch. lol

It looks like the $875 is aprox $400 for the drop in disc plus $475 install (my best quess).

It looks like the $1255 is $780 for the TTRS pressure plate & performance disc plus the same $475 for installation (my best guess).

Parts that Calklin listed from his research can be purchased for aprox $600-$650. If you could buy parts and bring to installer you would have the same parts as the RSR clutch kit and save $130 to $180 if the installer would install for $475 as it seems that is what he is charging from the break down of the prices you were quoted.

The installer may be able to profit from better purchasing connections and therefore would ask more for installation if parts were supplied instead of purchased through the installer.

Calkulin listed the parts below.

TTRS pressure plate --- 07K141025B (part of clutch kit 07K141015B or 07K141015BX a remanufactured clutch kit) You will most likely have to buy a TTRS clutch kit to get the TTRS pressure plate and the TTRS clutch disc will not fit your TSI so you will need to buy the EURO TDI disc.

EURO TDI Clutch disc --- 03141031T (this can be purchase individually)

Throwout bearing --- 0A5141671F (BTW check to see if this was included in your quotes it could effect price by aprox $100 but IMO it should be replaced)

Bolts --- N90320701 (six pressure plate bolts)

N90847002 ( three throwout bearing bolts)

If your installer did include a new throwout bearing in the quoted prices then he maybe charging aprox $375 instead of aprox $475 for installation. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Last edited:

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
That's awesome, thanks guys!
I haven't heard anything back from them so I'll give em a call in a bit. I'll see what the exact part numbers are and will let you guys know.

:)

brobst

Go Kart Champion
It looks like the $875 is aprox $400 for the drop in disc plus $475 install (my best quess).

It looks like the $1255 is $780 for the TTRS pressure plate & performance disc plus the same $475 for installation (my best guess).

Parts that Calklin listed from his research can be purchased for aprox $600-$650. If you could buy parts and bring to installer you would have the same parts as the RSR clutch kit and save $130 to $180 if the installer would install for $475 as it seems that is what he is charging from the break down of the prices you were quoted.

The installer may be able to profit from better purchasing connections and therefore would ask more for installation if parts were supplied instead of purchased through the installer.

Calkulin listed the parts below.

TTRS pressure plate --- 07K141025B (part of clutch kit 07K141015B or 07K141015BX a remanufactured clutch kit) You will most likely have to buy a TTRS clutch kit to get the TTRS pressure plate and the TTRS clutch disc will not fit your TSI so you will need to buy the EURO TDI disc.

EURO TDI Clutch disc --- 03141031T (this can be purchase individually)

Throwout bearing --- 0A5141671F (BTW check to see if this was included in your quotes it could effect price by aprox $100 but IMO it should be replaced)

Bolts --- N90320701 (six pressure plate bolts)

N90847002 ( three throwout bearing bolts)

If your installer did include a new throwout bearing in the quoted prices then he maybe charging aprox $375 instead of aprox $475 for installation. Good luck and let us know how things work out.
Did that thread list the places to source the parts?

sent from superior interior telepathy

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
Did that thread list the places to source the parts?

sent from superior interior telepathy

I'd just look up the part numbers and see who has them the cheapest, of course a good vender too.

Also, shop said it's a clutchnet performance disc, they've been using this for a quite a while on different cars. they have good reviews through VW's and a range of different brands too, so I'm settling with this route. I'm just hoping it holds strong and does it's job! I'm ready. :D
I'll update when installed.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
I'd just look up the part numbers and see who has them the cheapest, of course a good vender too.

Also, shop said it's a clutchnet performance disc, they've been using this for a quite a while on different cars. they have good reviews through VW's and a range of different brands too, so I'm settling with this route. I'm just hoping it holds strong and does it's job! I'm ready. :D
I'll update when installed.

Did the quotes you posted include the throwout bearing?

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
Did the quotes you posted include the throwout bearing?

totally forgot to ask.. said it's the kit, but not sure if it necessarily means TOB included, though.

OEM TOB?

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
totally forgot to ask.. said it's the kit, but not sure if it necessarily means TOB included, though.

OEM TOB?

P/N 0A5141671F (see above post #5)

I believe it is the latest P/N and does not have the plastic two piece stem that has been reported to leak ( which could be in your car now) but P/N 0A5141671F is metal and has a one piece stem

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
yup, throw out bearing included. :thumbup:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
If they quote you a different disk than the TDI that's in the rsr, just make sure it's an organic disk. With such a strong spring you don't want to add some exotic material to eat up the PP and flywheel. And make your daily driving life more difficult.

butchered by autocorrecr

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
If they quote you a different disk than the TDI that's in the rsr, just make sure it's an organic disk. With such a strong spring you don't want to add some exotic material to eat up the PP and flywheel. And make your daily driving life more difficult.

butchered by autocorrecr

this.

we use a dual friction disc that is custom made for us by clutchnet. It is organic on one side and ceramic on the other. This gives the best of both worlds for driveability and ability to hold increased power.

From Dave.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Wait, you can't get the best of both worlds by just using two materials. Your disk can hold as much as the weakest link, which is the organic side. Also, that ceramic side is still going to catch on the metal surface as you engage it, making it chatter on engagement. Did you talk to him about the TDI disk?

With the ttrs PP you don't need much else to hold gobs of torque. Just go cheap and get a fully organic disk like the TDI disk.

butchered by autocorrecr