VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php)
-   GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2011 GTI stalling (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10133)

Shieze 10-05-2010 01:29 PM

2011 GTI stalling
 
SO I have had my new car for less then a month and I have had a problem intermittently about 8 times so far.

Basically when I am starting the car it will sometimes start idling very low 500rpm then stall.

I have also had the above happen and I have hit the gas to bring the rpms up but shortly after driving I have tried to accelerate and the car is in neutral as the revs just go up freely. Changing it from Park to drive resolved this.

Do I have a problem with my DSG? I first experienced the stalling a couple of days after picking up the car.

pedobear 10-05-2010 01:33 PM

Maybe a computer issue.

plat 10-05-2010 02:09 PM

Yeah, seems like its either the ECU or the DSG Mechatronics unit.

AutobahnGTI 10-05-2010 03:16 PM

Keyless start? Hold the button down longer. That is what I was experiencing and it resolved that problem.

71Fritz 10-05-2010 03:21 PM

I have had this a few times. I have a manual and only notice it when I am parked in the garage. Seems if I park to close to the wall, when I start it sputters almost like it's not getting enough air. I'm no expert so can that be a reason?

Shieze 10-05-2010 04:03 PM

So my car is not a keyless start.

I have had the problem in open parking lots so this is definitely not causing my issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

AutobahnGTI 10-05-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shieze (Post 110895)
So my car is not a keyless start.

I have had the problem in open parking lots so this is definitely not causing my issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hold the key turned longer. It's because 1 of the cylinders is not fired up.

Crank it longer.

Shieze 10-05-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutobahnGTI (Post 110900)
Hold the key turned longer. It's because 1 of the cylinders is not fired up.

Crank it longer.

This doesn't sound right to me. As the car is still running for a few seconds I would think that one cylinder would fire up on the next point when the spark plug would ignite, unless the computer is doing something wrong.

AAU 10-05-2010 04:35 PM

I only had it happen twice in my manual, both times were on the first tank of gas from the dealership.

nik 10-05-2010 07:44 PM

My 2011's done this about 3 times now..twice on the same day (day after I got the car). I figured I didn't turn it over long enough though. I crank it for a fraction of a second longer and haven't had that issue.

My mom's grand prix has an issue where if I turn it off and start it within a short period of time 5-10 mins it would crap out the first time.. not too sure on the cause. Otherwise that cars been fine for the last 8 years.

Just read the above post... my thoughts exactly....

Shieze 10-06-2010 11:22 AM

I have an appointment booked for next week. Putting on winter tires and getting a few warranty things looked at this being one of them.

I also have the leaking rear window washer and a couple of other things.

snofrandy 10-06-2010 02:10 PM

That's weird. I have a 2010 w/ DSG and I just let the computer control the starter. Basically, when I start the car, I briefly push the key in igniton to "Start", then release right away. This is all in a fraction of a second. There's a split second lag, then the ignition would start the starter, engine would turn over automatically, starting the car. I think the amount of time the starter needs to run to completely start the car is automatically controlled by the ECU. Meaning you don't have to hold the key in "Start" position until the car starts.

The only other way I can describe this is the push button start for Lexus when I was test driving it. Push Start and release, Starter will start a split of second after release.

This is unlike my previous car where I have to hold the key in the Start position until the engine turns over and start. Where as if I do what I'm doing w/ the GTI now, as soon as I release it from "Start", the engine would die right away because the starter is controlled by the ignition switch.

koolgreen 10-06-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutobahnGTI (Post 110900)
Hold the key turned longer. It's because 1 of the cylinders is not fired up.

Crank it longer.


Never crank an engine after it has caught or you will have flywheel teeth flying off into oblivion...........

Shieze 10-06-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snofrandy (Post 111269)
That's weird. I have a 2010 w/ DSG and I just let the computer control the starter. Basically, when I start the car, I briefly push the key in igniton to "Start", then release right away. This is all in a fraction of a second. There's a split second lag, then the ignition would start the starter, engine would turn over automatically, starting the car. I think the amount of time the starter needs to run to completely start the car is automatically controlled by the ECU. Meaning you don't have to hold the key in "Start" position until the car starts.

The only other way I can describe this is the push button start for Lexus when I was test driving it. Push Start and release, Starter will start a split of second after release.

This is unlike my previous car where I have to hold the key in the Start position until the engine turns over and start. Where as if I do what I'm doing w/ the GTI now, as soon as I release it from "Start", the engine would die right away because the starter is controlled by the ignition switch.

Thanks. From your description this is completely controlled by the computer then and should have nothing to do with how long you hold the key.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.