VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mk6 vs...... (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Stage 2 GTi vs Mazda 3 MPS with custom cobb tune (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112575)

tofuD01 07-14-2017 10:09 AM

Stage 2 GTi vs Mazda 3 MPS with custom cobb tune
 
I have a rolling road session in the next few weeks and a drag day mid august.

I have approximately 280 bhp while he is expecting to be just over 300bhp.

I have DSG and a slightly lighter car..he has no lift shift which may even out the playing field.

Mods are in my signature, and his mods list from what i can remember are:

Trans/engine mounts, cobb etune, aftermarket top mount ic, HPFP and possibly a forge dump valve.

What are my chances of beating him?

syonxwf 07-14-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofuD01 (Post 2540051)
I have a rolling road session in the next few weeks and a drag day mid august.

I have approximately 280 bhp while he is expecting to be just over 300bhp.

I have DSG and a slightly lighter car..he has no lift shift which may even out the playing field.

Mods are in my signature, and his mods list from what i can remember are:

Trans/engine mounts, cobb etune, aftermarket top mount ic, HPFP and possibly a forge dump valve.

What are my chances of beating him?

Based on specs alone, looks like a toss up.

In my personal experience, I ran a cobb tuned MS3 when I was stage 2 pre v2, I had one passenger, he was alone, and it was dead even. I don't know if he was canned or custom, but my guess is probably canned.

The v2.X file is a little more stout, so if I had been on that, and didn't have a passenger, my guess is that I would have pulled on him a couple cars. If he was custom, probably would have been back to being pretty even.

Just my opinion.

SELA_MK6GTI 07-17-2017 05:31 PM

From a dig(a proper race) you'll be fine


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeekendWarriorz 07-17-2017 08:12 PM

From a roll you should be fine unless he is on e85, from a dig whoever has the best traction and the MS3 is known for horrible torque steer.

tofuD01 07-18-2017 03:31 PM

This is on the 1/4 mile drag strip we going to race. Not often we have a chance on empty motorway to have quick pulls at each other.

Hopefully I can take him on the day despite him having more power.

What are good tyres? I have the eagle F1 ass3.

tofuD01 08-05-2017 07:40 AM

Just did Dyno, my car got 265 whp and 429nm.
Friends MPs got 290whp/460nm....

Not looking likely I can win this now..my last Dyno was 282bhp/350ftlbs but this was at my tuners Dyno...

syonxwf 08-07-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofuD01 (Post 2544153)
Just did Dyno, my car got 265 whp and 429nm.
Friends MPs got 290whp/460nm....

Not looking likely I can win this now..my last Dyno was 282bhp/350ftlbs but this was at my tuners Dyno...

I mean, 282bhp/350lbft to the crank would be around those numbers you got on the dyno, so it sounds like your tuner just gave you the crank numbers rather than wheel.

That being said, I don't know what either cars weigh, I'm only going off online figures based on what they may be:

MS3 @ 290whp = 177whp per ton (3281lbs) - Note/Edit: I found that some of the older MS3's are a bit lighter, which would give him a bit more advantage. An '08 for instance weights 3153lbs, putting it at 184whp per ton.


GTI @ 265whp = 171whp per ton (3100lbs)
174whp per ton if you remove the spare tire and jack, bringing yourself down another 50lbs.

You can also ensure you have as little gas in the car as possible, or even remove the rear seat, and shed yourself a little more weight in areas he may not be doing so just to level the playing field a little more.

In all reality though, you're not really down much on him, and being that you're DSG and don't have to worry about missing shifts or hitting them at exactly the right spot, and the fact that you'll hit them much faster than he ever could, I think you might be surprised. :w00t:

tofuD01 08-07-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syonxwf (Post 2544428)
I mean, 282bhp/350lbft to the crank would be around those numbers you got on the dyno, so it sounds like your tuner just gave you the crank numbers rather than wheel.

That being said, I don't know what either cars weigh, I'm only going off online figures based on what they may be:

MS3 @ 290whp = 177whp per ton (3281lbs) - Note/Edit: I found that some of the older MS3's are a bit lighter, which would give him a bit more advantage. An '08 for instance weights 3153lbs, putting it at 184whp per ton.


GTI @ 265whp = 171whp per ton (3100lbs)
174whp per ton if you remove the spare tire and jack, bringing yourself down another 50lbs.

You can also ensure you have as little gas in the car as possible, or even remove the rear seat, and shed yourself a little more weight in areas he may not be doing so just to level the playing field a little more.

In all reality though, you're not really down much on him, and being that you're DSG and don't have to worry about missing shifts or hitting them at exactly the right spot, and the fact that you'll hit them much faster than he ever could, I think you might be surprised. :w00t:

He has the newer model so heavier than the first generation.
Will remove spare wheel etc for the day, I kept it on last time around. I think I may have set my tune to the lower torque, just switched my map to the other setting and it feels so much snappier... Don't want to Dyno again as its monies so will just see how it goes on the day.

Will update results!

SyDiko 08-08-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofuD01 (Post 2544482)
He has the newer model so heavier than the first generation.
Will remove spare wheel etc for the day, I kept it on last time around. I think I may have set my tune to the lower torque, just switched my map to the other setting and it feels so much snappier... Don't want to Dyno again as its monies so will just see how it goes on the day.

Will update results!

I'm with syonxwf, given the numbers the DSG will probably win you the race.

(or you'll be really close.)

Speeddemon69 08-08-2017 03:25 PM

Go K04 and murder that POS.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speeddemon69 08-08-2017 03:27 PM

Stage 2 GTi vs Mazda 3 MPS with custom cobb tune
 
Or get a good stage 2 map with plenty of torque and hp and all bolt ons and a half a tank of 103 unleaded fuel switch maps to 100oct and then some light weight mods and u should murder him too with this.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeekendWarriorz 08-08-2017 03:39 PM

Remove the spare the trunk liner that covers it, and that plastic pos foam that holds the little tools and jack, also if you're doing a dig drop your front tire pressure down. Remove rear seats/use up all of the washer fluid if you want extra protection. Oh and if you have E85 around you make an e30 blend with your tune... There's not much to say if you don't win after that you need a driver mod

tofuD01 08-08-2017 03:47 PM

Haha I'll remove the spare wheel and tools this time around, what tire pressure would be good? 2 psi below the recommended?

Of course I need to improve my RT but that can only be done the more drags I do.

I want to switch to stratified but I can't justify buying a whole new tune.. will eventually get discharge pipe and engine trans mounts.

gopete 08-11-2017 08:50 AM

Hope you will let us know how it ends ;) looks like you both stand really good chances


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.