VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php)
-   GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Misfiring Only When Hot & at Idle (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113673)

jrm_gti 10-03-2017 10:55 PM

Misfiring Only When Hot & at Idle
 
09 Tsi Gti, 118k. Car starts up and runs fine for a while, but like clockwork when nearing 40 minutes of driving and coming to a stop or fully stopped, I get a flashing CEL. RPMs drop a bit then go back up as well, Obdeleven shows misfire all cylinders and always misfire on cylinder 1&4.

Its weird, as long as my commute is under 40 minutes, I get no misfiring at all. Car runs great under any kind of throttle. Replaced spark plugs and pcv. I do plan on replacing coils and have a valve cleaning done.

Any help, or insight is appreciated.

Carlosfandango 10-04-2017 01:32 AM

I wouldnít focus on the 40 minute part! Try moving the coils around and see if the consistent 1 and 4 move to 2 and 3, you should in this situation change the coils especially if the consistent fault moves when you swap them around but Iíd say itís most likely carbon build up though or possibly injectors but less likely.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mataempat 10-04-2017 01:49 AM

Maybe of some help or not. I have a different engine that yours. It's a 1.4 TSI CAVD. I've had the same exact issue for the past year or so. Albeit only on Cylinder 1.

Carbon cleaning with walnut blasting solved the issue.

indosilver 10-04-2017 02:32 AM

Coils are about $100 for a set, i would just get a fresh set of coils and a fresh set of plugs. it's the cheapest option anyways and most likely the cause of your issues :)

Stock-GTI 10-04-2017 02:43 AM

HsTuning sells the coilpacks and spark plugs bundled. 94.99 for a set Red tops by themselves if I remember correctly.

jrm_gti 10-04-2017 09:07 AM

I did try swapping coils around and still get the same result. But I will throw in some new ones anyway.

Mataempat, I am thinking this is my problem. Car has 118k and I'm not sure if a carbon cleaning was ever done by the previous owners .

Car still has the original intake manifold too, not the updated one. Prob going to have to replace it , and see how those injectors are holding up as well.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try to keep this updated.

FriggenT 10-04-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrm_gti (Post 2553297)
I did try swapping coils around and still get the same result. But I will throw in some new ones anyway.

Mataempat, I am thinking this is my problem. Car has 118k and I'm not sure if a carbon cleaning was ever done by the previous owners .

Car still has the original intake manifold too, not the updated one. Prob going to have to replace it , and see how those injectors are holding up as well.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try to keep this updated.

I'd try something simple like the gumout valve cleaner spray. Use it through the temp sensor hole, if you can tell any difference at all, that's likely your issue

Carlosfandango 10-04-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriggenT (Post 2553301)
I'd try something simple like the gumout valve cleaner spray. Use it through the temp sensor hole, if you can tell any difference at all, that's likely your issue



I agree with this^

Iíve used a similar product in the past

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...saAhJaEALw_wcB

It did a good job but a proper carbon clean is the only real answer!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriggenT 10-04-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosfandango (Post 2553303)
I agree with this^

Iíve used a similar product in the past

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...saAhJaEALw_wcB

It did a good job but a proper carbon clean is the only real answer!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, how did that stuff work? Not familiar with that brand in the U.S. obviously

Carlosfandango 10-04-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriggenT (Post 2553305)
Hmmm, how did that stuff work? Not familiar with that brand in the U.S. obviously



I guessed you wouldnít recognise the brand,

It actually worked better than I thought it would!

Hereís some info from their website,
https://www.wynns.uk.com/wp-content/...eaner_EN-2.pdf


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriggenT 10-04-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosfandango (Post 2553307)
I guessed you wouldn’t recognise the brand,

It actually worked better than I thought it would!

Here’s some info from their website,
https://www.wynns.uk.com/wp-content/...eaner_EN-2.pdf


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent, check this out...notice the carbon that comes out and he also has borescope pics https://youtu.be/hHF-Jdw0eto

Carlosfandango 10-04-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriggenT (Post 2553330)
Excellent, check this out...notice the carbon that comes out and he also has borescope pics https://youtu.be/hHF-Jdw0eto



When I used the wynns product I got a lot of carbon out of the exhaust (far more than in the video) and it ran much much better once I was done, for unrelated issues Iíve since then had a new head and inlet manifold and PCV so I should be good for a while but I intend to use the cleaner again soon as a preventative measure, like he says in the video if itís done on a regular basis there should never be any large build ups and a full clean will not be necessary, Iíve only used the wynns stuff though so canít really make a judgment on other products.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriggenT 10-04-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosfandango (Post 2553336)
When I used the wynns product I got a lot of carbon out of the exhaust (far more than in the video) and it ran much much better once I was done, for unrelated issues Iíve since then had a new head and inlet manifold and PCV so I should be good for a while but I intend to use the cleaner again soon as a preventative measure, like he says in the video if itís done on a regular basis there should never be any large build ups and a full clean will not be necessary, Iíve only used the wynns stuff though so canít really make a judgment on other products.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to look for it in the U.S. and give it a try

Carlosfandango 10-04-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriggenT (Post 2553338)
I'll have to look for it in the U.S. and give it a try


http://www.wynnsusa.com/



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.