VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   LightningRhod's quest to 200k.....and beyond (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73179)

LightningRhod 01-23-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mlody91 (Post 2498700)
Didn't realize there was a thread like this for long-term ownership. I'm hoping to keep this car to at least 200k as well so this is a sigh of relief knowing that it's possible :thumbsup:

Yeah, I didn't see a thread like this on the boards when I started it. I thought it would be a good contribution to the forums :thumbsup:.

MegaMikeLA 01-25-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningRhod (Post 2498725)
Yeah, I didn't see a thread like this on the boards when I started it. I thought it would be a good contribution to the forums :thumbsup:.

There he is! I hit 110,000 this week and just picked up the car yesterday from getting DSG fluid/filter change. Still stage II APR. Couple new rattles here and there but for the most part she's holding together!!!

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps97zvnws0.png

LightningRhod 01-25-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaMikeLA (Post 2499233)
There he is!

https://j.gifs.com/yXGwQZ.gif

Quote:

I hit 110,000 this week and just picked up the car yesterday from getting DSG fluid/filter change. Still stage II APR. Couple new rattles here and there but for the most part she's holding together!!!
Glad to see your car going strong. I have a number of rattles/noises too (door weather strippings, sway bar end links/bushings, sunroof rails when opening/closing), but otherwise the car has been good to me :thumbsup:.

LightningRhod 10-05-2017 05:47 PM

Just thought I'd do a quick update here, sitting at 173k miles

- Got my timing chain tensioner replaced recently as preventative maintenance a few months ago. Heard some rattling on start up back in Dec 2016, so decided to get it done finally.

- AWE boost hose failed earlier in the year. Audible "wheezing" sound was noticed under the hood after the engine was warmed up. Noticed the boost hose was collapsed which caused the wheezing sound, but no loss in power or anything from that. Replaced the hose since it was a cheap and easy fix.

- Replaced my Continental DWS tires (100k miles or so on them) with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. Really like the tires, as they provide comparable grip to my previous track tires (Dunlop Star Specs), but are smooth and quiet for a daily.

- Intake manifold was replaced earlier this year (again) after getting a P2015 engine code. So I'm now on my third intake manifold.

That's pretty much all the major things going on with the car. Trying to get back to Laguna Seca, so I'm aiming for March as a bday gift to myself :).

APRMK6GTi 10-05-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningRhod (Post 2553495)
Just thought I'd do a quick update here, sitting at 173k miles

- Got my timing chain tensioner replaced recently as preventative maintenance a few months ago. Heard some rattling on start up back in Dec 2016, so decided to get it done finally.

- AWE boost hose failed earlier in the year. Audible "wheezing" sound was noticed under the hood after the engine was warmed up. Noticed the boost hose was collapsed which caused the wheezing sound, but no loss in power or anything from that. Replaced the hose since it was a cheap and easy fix.

- Replaced my Continental DWS tires (100k miles or so on them) with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. Really like the tires, as they provide comparable grip to my previous track tires (Dunlop Star Specs), but are smooth and quiet for a daily.

- Intake manifold was replaced earlier this year (again) after getting a P2015 engine code. So I'm now on my third intake manifold.

That's pretty much all the major things going on with the car. Trying to get back to Laguna Seca, so I'm aiming for March as a bday gift to myself :).

Might join u in March!

omer333 10-05-2017 07:27 PM

I'm definitely following this thread since my car's at almost 79,000. It had 72,000 when I bought it.

Got any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightningRhod 10-06-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi (Post 2553497)
Might join u in March!

I'll definitely let you know! :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by omer333 (Post 2553507)
I'm definitely following this thread since my car's at almost 79,000. It had 72,000 when I bought it.

Got any advice?

In general, don't skimp on maintenance with this thing. If you want the car to last a long time, you'll need to know your car better than the average consumer:

- You may be due for a carbon cleaning since your at 79k. My car finally threw a code at 117k for dirty intake valves, but other forum members have reported having this problem at much lower mileage.

- Check if you have the old style chain tensioner (there's a lot of resources/threads on this site on how to do that). Labor is a bit expensive to get it updated to the new part , but worth the peace of mind IMO.

- Intake manifold warranty was extended to 10 yrs/120k miles I think? Not sure if that warranty is transferable since you bought it used, but just something to make note of if yours fails.

Is this a higher maintenance vehicle? YES. But I'll tell you this much. A Toyota Corolla never put a smile on my face as much as the GTI does every day :D:D:D:D

MegaMikeLA 10-06-2017 08:40 PM

Close behind you at 113,000!

omer333 10-07-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

In general, don't skimp on maintenance with this thing. If you want the car to last a long time, you'll need to know your car better than the average consumer:

- You may be due for a carbon cleaning since your at 79k. My car finally threw a code at 117k for dirty intake valves, but other forum members have reported having this problem at much lower mileage.

- Check if you have the old style chain tensioner (there's a lot of resources/threads on this site on how to do that). Labor is a bit expensive to get it updated to the new part , but worth the piece of mind IMO.

- Intake manifold warranty was extended to 10 yrs/120k miles I think? Not sure if that warranty is transferable since you bought it used, but just something to make note of if yours fails.

Is this a higher maintenance vehicle? YES. But I'll tell you this much. A Toyota Corolla never put a smile on my face as much as the GTI does every day :D:D:D:D
Turbos ain't cheap and EVERYTHING has a turbo nowadays.

Thanks for the heads-up on the carbon cleaning. What's the average price for that?

gdub09 10-08-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omer333 (Post 2553706)
Turbos ain't cheap and EVERYTHING has a turbo nowadays.

Thanks for the heads-up on the carbon cleaning. What's the average price for that?

$600+ more than likely? Had a bad injector so they replace it under warranty and I did the cleaning while the manifold was off so I just had to pay for the cleaning. That was about $450ish if I remember.

omer333 10-09-2017 06:14 PM

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RudeJr 10-09-2017 08:24 PM

What's the average price for a track day at Laguna Seca?

LightningRhod 10-10-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaMikeLA (Post 2553641)
Close behind you at 113,000!

Nice! I see your car is for sale in SF. GLWS! :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudeJr (Post 2553915)
What's the average price for a track day at Laguna Seca?

I run with the NCRC, and a track day with them runs for $189. If it's your first time tracking (ever), you'll have to do driving school with an instructor, which costs $209 with that organization:

http://www.ncracing.org/events.php

RudeJr 10-11-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningRhod (Post 2554038)
I run with the NCRC, and a track day with them runs for $189. If it's your first time tracking (ever), you'll have to do driving school with an instructor, which costs $209 with that organization:

http://www.ncracing.org/events.php

Nice! Thank you.