GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ALLSET'S SHOP REVIEW: KMD TUNING -SADDLE BROOK, NJ-CARBON CLEANING & TENSIONER SWAP

allset

Go Kart Champion
ALLSET'S SHOP REVIEW: KMD TUNING -SADDLE BROOK, NJ-CARBON CLEANING & TENSIONER SWAP

ALLSET'S SHOP REVIEW: KMD TUNING AND ENGINEERING

(KMD is a vendor on Golfmk6.com)

374 N. Midland Ave
Saddle Brook, NJ

201-773-9171

www.kmdtuning.com

In my quest to find a top notch shop Ive mentioned, rather bitched, many times before that there are no good euro tuner shops within a reasonable distance from my home. I do a considerable amount of work myself but there are certain jobs I cant or wouldn't do; things either too technical or requiring special tools.

Westchester County is the first county north of NYC so u would think there would be a decent selection of good shops. Not so. The few Ive gone to in Westchester have been less than stellar; some do a good job but overcharge and some do a crappy job and overcharge. There are loads of general repair shops but you all know what I'm looking for. I found one great shop in Queens which Ive plugged many times here but its an hour and a half drive across NYC each way if there's no traffic.

KMD Tuning & Engineering is a family owned and operated shop in Saddle Brook, NJ which is about a 45 minute drive from me. I went in for a carbon cleaning and timing chain tensioner swap. This was not the first time I had used them but I noticed their work and name was not getting the recognition it deserved so i figured this was a good job to do a shop review on. I had always planned on the cleaning but after seeing four or five 2010's have this "bad" tensioner fail at 60,000 miles, it was wearing on me (I was at 58,xxx).

Danny is the owner and it seems also the main mechanic, tuner and diagnostic guru. I had some other issues going on I wanted addressed and Danny went at the diagnosis like a pit bull. I could tell just by talking with him that first day way back when that he is extremely knowledgeable and experienced in all aspects relating to this facet of the euro automotive niche. This would be confirmed by each additional time I would go there.

Danny, as the shop owner, did the work on my car himself which is becoming increasingly rare these days. Many shops Ive seen opt to hire a few younger, less experienced techs whom are paid a lower rate so shop volume can be increased, often at the expense of quality. Of course, there are other mechanics and tuners at KMD but I was surprised to see the owner really get involved in the grunt work. Another aspect which I liked, as mentioned above, is KMD is a family outfit. Danny's wife is also part of the operation. This is important because coming from a different type of family owned business, I know how much hard work, dedication and pride goes into making any family owned business successful. This means the focus is always on the quality of work and taking care of the customer.

All of the work was done as agreed, finished when promised and Danny went the extra mile every step of the way including following up with me days later. KMD Tuning & Engineering is a top notch, do-it-all shop providing excellent work at very competitive prices.

I highly recommend them for any install, issue, purchase or diagnosis.

The car is running so much stronger now. Its has more power and response than it ever has and i still haven't re-connected the methanol injection. Its truly amazing how the DI engine's side effect of carbon build up kills HP and saps performance. It happens so slowly that you don't notice the losses until the carbon is removed and the performance comes back all at once:

Pre-cleaning

Post Cleaning

Pulled Tensioner 06H 109 467

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
Some of the work on my 2014 B8.5 S5 done at KMD earlier this year (2014):

Since then its tuned REVO Stage 1+ ( + is the KMD Supercharger Pulley Upgrade)

AWE Header Back Exhaust & Intake

KW HAAS Lowering Spring (Rear Driver)

S & A 4 & 5 Line Up Out Front

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned
Dude this is amazing. So the buildup is real. Whatd they do to remove it?

allset

Go Kart Champion
Dude this is amazing. So the buildup is real. Whatd they do to remove it?

oh its real. And the performance gain after the remove it is unreal. More power than its ever had.

a week prior they used the 3 step treatment, solvent in oil, gas ind into throttle body. Came back a week later and they tear down and use solvents and elbow grease, aslo replaced fuel injector seals, plugs.

allset

Go Kart Champion

allset

Go Kart Champion
Thanks man. I'm so happy with the results. def recommend this at 60,000 miles. TSI is not immune.

i recommend the carbon cleaning, the chain tensioner is a tough call. It comes down to what ur willing to pay for peace of mind..if i hadn't seen those four 2010's fail at 60,000 i may not have done the tensioner swap.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Reasonable rate for the carbon cleaning?

very. iirc around 700 and its a ton of work but call for a quote, they are very reasonable and will work with you esp if you have a few things to get done.

They are offering a 100 install on the Vanguard catback thread

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Good to know. I'll try and remember them in a couple years when it comes time to do a de-carbonization of the intake tract on my '13.

From the looks of the photos, it looks like they did a phenomenal job.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Good to know. I'll try and remember them in a couple years when it comes time to do a de-carbonization of the intake tract on my '13.

From the looks of the photos, it looks like they did a phenomenal job.

i would, they aren't all that far from Bucks County.

Dan noted most of my build up was carbon and very little oil which usually points to poor quality gas. I used many diff brands but always the major names and did use BP often since its closest to my home. He did some testing and research on an RS4 that had build up, misfires and pinging. the RS4's owner said he used BP, they drained the tank and filled with Sunoco, misfires and pinging stopped right off.

i forgot how he explained it but The way BP calculates RON, 93 isn't really 93. Said never use BP and recommended the below brands #1 being first choice:

1 Sunoco
2 Exxon/mobile
3 shell

This has nothing to do with top tier fuel ratings which deal with detergents in the gas which as we all know do not help our DI engines. It more octane related consistency.

i dont have a catch can and even though they dont do much for carbon/valve build up, I plan to install one mainly for the extra water im spraying from the Methanol. So i hope the combo of good gas, catch can and methanol injection will help keep the valves cleaner longer

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I was going to invest in a catch can, but after doing some reading, I really fail to see any substantial benefits that aren't offset by a manual cleaning of the intake later down the road. They really just seem to end up catching more water/condensation than harmful oil fumes.

I'm also going to run a bottle of Techron through the tank and figure out some sort of a fogger to run through the intake at every 5k oil change. I only use name brand gas, as well, but I might just make the switch to Sunoco as my primary choice.

I do think the meth injection will be a big help for you, though. It'll also be interesting to see how the re-introduction of port injection will help with carbon buildup on the next gen EA888.

allset

Go Kart Champion
I was going to invest in a catch can, but after doing some reading, I really fail to see any substantial benefits that aren't offset by a manual cleaning of the intake later down the road. They really just seem to end up catching more water/condensation than harmful oil fumes.

I'm also going to run a bottle of Techron through the tank and figure out some sort of a fogger to run through the intake at every 5k oil change. I only use name brand gas, as well, but I might just make the switch to Sunoco as my primary choice.

I do think the meth injection will be a big help for you, though. It'll also be interesting to see how the re-introduction of port injection will help with carbon buildup on the next gen EA888.

the water from the W/M is the main reason for getting a CC. the volume of fluid im spraying is so high that im sure all of it wont evaporate b4 it passes the TB. Even running 70% meth and 30% water im concerned. some of the mist making it past the TB in liquid form is a good thing as it will help dissolve carbon on the valves but i want the CC to collect any extra.

Yeah, the the MK7 has dual injectors above and below the valves IIRC. that will go a long way to keeping the vavle clean. we will actually benefit from all that gas detergent that just gets burned up now.

also more options for tuning more power with all those injectors

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Even running 70% meth and 30% water im concerned. some of the mist making it past the TB in liquid form is a good thing as it will help dissolve carbon on the valves but i want the CC to collect any extra.

A stupid question but what do you mean by the CC?