GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

XGC75 - One for the Road

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Mocking up a DIY gauge mount. Don't like how the other column mounts sit. We'll see how this goes. I'll have to cut the cover up to let tghe gauge sit in there and mount it to the same cover with an L-bracket made of aluminum (it'll be mounted to the back of the gauge and the underside of the cover). Got another column cover on the way if it goes poorly.

uploadfromtaptalk1363307334804.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363307350389.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363307366798.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363307379715.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363307390100.jpg

It sits right on top of that connector retainer clip. I might have to cut it off if the gauge wants to sit on top of it (it wasn't in the pics above) and secure the connector with some mild epoxy. Those rast edge connectors are notorious for popping out without proper retainers.
uploadfromtaptalk1363307405032.jpg

butchered by autocorrect

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
What do you have in mind?

Had to send that post before my phone batt gave out. Just updated it with more consise plans. I have a diagram of the L-bracket on my work computer I'll upload tomorrow. This is my weekend project :thumbup:

Sent via Tapatalk, butchered by autocorrect

A_Bowers

Had to send that post before my phone batt gave out. Just updated it with more consise plans. I have a diagram of the L-bracket on my work computer I'll upload tomorrow. This is my weekend project :thumbup:

Sent via Tapatalk, butchered by autocorrect

I hear ya. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

maisonvi

Ready to race!
Let me know if you need some machining work done up for the mount.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Updated my super-fly CAD drawing to reflect how it will be mounted. The key is two-fold: Lots of adjustment available in the L-bracket and a really accurate cut in the column cover.

Speaking of, I have to figure out how I want to cut into the thing. Have to figure out what the width of the cut should be. It's a pretty irregular shape, especially with the lip at the front of the gauge. I think routing the wires and the pressure tube will be last on the list of my concerns - if anything, I can fab a little plastic cover to hide that bit. Of course the L-bracket will be plasti-dipped.

Gauge mount.JPG

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Officially going Stage 1 March 27th at 10:30am. Unless APR isn't having their sale at that time, which would suck. :thumbsup:

butchered by autocorrect

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Where you getting it done at? I'm having my k04 flash done in opelika that day too!

Woohoo! I'm driving 3hrs to Chicago to get it done at Mt. Prospect Autobsrn. They use the OEM seal, whereas community auto in grand rapids (1.2 hrs) seals it with rv sealant and doesn't warranty their work :thumbsdown:

Plus, they'll do my 30k mile tuneup hahs

butchered by autocorrect

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I just cut out the column cover for the gauge. Used a box cutter. Seriously that plastic is just butter to a sharp knife. And I must say I'm proud of the method I used to determine the depth of space underneath the cover :D. Pulled out my last clay bar and with the wrapper on top I reinstalled the cover. I kept the wrapper on the clay bar so the cover didn't pick the bar up as I uninstalled it. There's a quarter inch between the cover and that tab, so for the gauge to sit where I want it I'd need to get it at about a quarter inch below the inside of the cover.

uploadfromtaptalk1363394206465.jpg

Made a pilot hole, then expanded it to reach the quarter inch depth.

uploadfromtaptalk1363394224918.jpg

Checked it against the car along the way to get proper alignment. Here's the final cut (doesn't have to be pretty lol)

uploadfromtaptalk1363394281492.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363394305247.jpg

And you know what... Screw the L-bracket. This thing sits in there really tight. Just going to calk around the edge inside the cover to keep it there. I may drill a hole for the tube and wires or I might just pass them straight back through the fabric. Not sure yet. Final fit:

uploadfromtaptalk1363394319191.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363394331301.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363394344402.jpg

butchered by autocorrect

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
HID housings came in!! :thumbup:

uploadfromtaptalk1363739807388.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363739832798.jpg

Also, boost gauge is looking great. Not finished, but I'm glad I didn't fix it to the column cover just yet since it needs to be a bit lower.

uploadfromtaptalk1363739853243.jpg

butchered by autocorrect

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered a set of Sumitomo HTR Z-III's in 225/45R17. $441 out the door, to be mounted and road force balanced on those super lightweight nurbs this Saturday. Unfortunately I can't put them on the car until a week from now as it's supposed to SNOW AGAIN mid next week.

butchered by autocorrect

maisonvi

Ready to race!
Just ordered a set of Sumitomo HTR Z-III's in 225/45R17. $441 out the door, to be mounted and road force balanced on those super lightweight nurbs this Saturday. Unfortunately I can't put them on the car until a week from now as it's supposed to SNOW AGAIN mid next week.

butchered by autocorrect

Where are you getting them mounted and balanced? Im about to pull the trigger on some 245/45R17 Kuhmo XS and Im trying to figure out where to get them mounted.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Where are you getting them mounted and balanced? Im about to pull the trigger on some 245/45R17 Kuhmo XS and Im trying to figure out where to get them mounted.

Dude come down to south bend with me saturday to the Tire Rack distribution center. Make sure they have the tires in stock though

butchered by autocorrect

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Better yet call tucker, he can check stock and you can order them for mounting and balancing Saturday.

1 (888) 541-1777 ext 4738. Tell him I sent you, I've spoken with him a couple times today :laugh:

butchered by autocorrect