GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

lilfleck's Build Thread

AXO

Go Kart Champion
That Suxs!i am saving my Pennies for a set of OEM Tails.....

Drew113

Ready to race!
thats surprising you're having so much trouble with the reps....whats giving you the most trouble with fitment?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Ed's or Depo?
I don't want to comment on who it is yet because I want to reserve my feedback until the transaction is 100% complete. I have been so positive about reps (before owning a set). Trying to stay optimistic.

thats surprising you're having so much trouble with the reps....whats giving you the most trouble with fitment?
Fitment actually isn't bad at all. It definitely wasn't as butter as OEM, but they look OK w/o any adjustment. I am actually still unsure how you can adjust these. More specifically on the large outter lamps.

Drew113

Ready to race!
Most of the "adjustment" is done with tightening the bolts in the right position to get it close to 100% as possible

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Fitment actually isn't bad at all. It definitely wasn't as butter as OEM, but they look OK w/o any adjustment. I am actually still unsure how you can adjust these. More specifically on the large outter lamps.

If they're Depo reps, there are two torx adjusters in the holes on the plastic portion that sits in the hatch jamb. Use those to adjust them in and out.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to go back in time a bit, but your car needed a new transmission under warranty? Did the dealer mess something up with the clutch install?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to go back in time a bit, but your car needed a new transmission under warranty? Did the dealer mess something up with the clutch install?

It needed a new clutch, pp, dmfw, and tob. The tech didn't put loctite on the fw bolts and they backed off. VWOA didn't want to chance it and replaced all that for me. Before that, they just did the disc and pp.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion

Need to take better pix..

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Just got back from my road trip... will be posting my review and feedback on the Vacar lights sometime this week.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
My review on Ed's Cherry LED lights

Packaging:
Pretty solid IMO. Each light has saran wrap on the outter plastic, then wrapped in a thin foam material, then bubble wrapped, then boxed, then boxed again. That being said, I did have some damage on my original order, but I can't blame the packaging too much.

Installation/Fitment:
Wasn't difficult. The fitment definitely isn't OEM. The OEM's slip in and out with ease. The VACAR lights didn't pop in so smoothly, but they did go in with patience. Hardest part to me was moving the carpet to get to the outer lamps. The trick for fitment was to tighten the bolts evenly and checking the fitment throughout the whole thing. They looked great and fit pretty darn good.

Quality:
Here is where I had a big gripe. Quality control over these lights was pretty poor in my batch. The first batch I had some imperfections like a broken side piece to the inner light, a crack on the side of a light, and a nick inside the lens of another light. Ed tried to tell me that this was the way it is supposed to be, but I pushed back and got another set sent to me. I did have to return the old ones and he paid for return shipping which was good.

New set comes in, and I noticed that the new ones have similar defects :| Totally bummed out. This time Ed says, "Sorry, that is not really a crack, its not on the face of the lenses, and they don’t affect functionality."

I plan on putting RTV silicone on that last crack to ensure nothing seeps in. It did rain like hell over the past two weeks and no fogging/leaking (knock on wood).

Other Notes:
These are likely from buychina, alibaba, or some other Chinese wholesaler.

Conclusion:
If you are OCD, I would steer clear of these. There will likely be a quality control issue somewhere on these lights, small, or big. It will be a headache to get perfect. If you don't mind small imperfections, I would suggest this route. They look good, the LEDs are bright, and they coded fine. I can't complain about that.