GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bimmer635csi's Autocrosses

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Fifth Autocross for 2013

This event was an electronics nightmare for me (and maybe the event organizers also). I was only able to record this one video, which was absolutely terrible because of going off course in the 2nd turn.

Oh well, it was still fun and it wasn't blazing hot.

CAUTION: If your volume is up loud, you might hear some NSFW verbiage flowing from my mouth. Sorry.

Plans for this and next week - Modify ECUs with VAGCOM and run tests during the event at Oakland University put on by the local Alfa Romeo club.

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
2013 DRSCCA No. 3 - Great Lakes Solo Series Day 1

Starting to get better at all this new-fangled video making stuff with the internets.

Videos include some data analysis, which proved useful both during and after the event.

Enjoy the show (sans music this time, per a request from my step father)

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
2013 DRSCCA No. 4 - Great Lakes Solo Series Day 2

Here's the vids from Day 2 of the event.

The course was almost identical, just run backwards to make the course set up easier on those folks.

Good event over all. This video analysis stuff is starting to pay off for me also as I was able to capture a trophy for this event.

Enjoy the show:

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Well, this weekend was insanity autocross weekend. And there's another one schedule for next month.

Short summary as a prelude to all the videos....

Friday - Test & Tune

My instructor from the Evo School earlier this year (who also autocrosses in our region) drove my car and taught me some more fine points. I'd say his teaching dropped a second off of my time in a 30-ish second course. Nice!

I had also made a tire spreadsheet to keep track of what I was doing with tire pressures and temperatures. It made it a lot easier to set the pressures.

Sat - ProSolo format autocross

This is so much fun. Four runs back to back in the morning and then four back to back in the afternoon. Only minimal adjustments between runs. It is kind of like a drag race with turns. The target is to get a 0.500 s reaction time. The best I could do was a 0.520 s time, which is pretty flippin' good for my first drag-style start. Especially considering the long delay in the DSG launching controls.

Sun - Usual Autcross

A very fast course (made possible by the 7 acres of concrete we were using). The main strait was so long that I ran out of second gear and the DSG forced the upshift into 3rd, which made accelerating out of the tight turn very slow. I need more practice with this type of autocross I guess.

Videos will be up when I can get them made, but with probably 35 runs this weekend, it might take a while to get them all up.

Cheers,
Chris

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Wow, your tires survived?

It is time to swap the tires side to side. So I need to find a reputable place to drop them off for a dismount/remount. I'm thinking while I'm at it, I might go with a 235 treadwidth on the front (especially since I was running out of 2nd gear just before the braking zone).

The ZII's have held up pretty well considering all of the running I've done on them and the fact that they are a lower load rating tire than they should be.

My car flipped 2500 miles at this event, so that was a kind of milestone.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Just a little teaser video from the ProSolo format autocross on Saturday...

This was an absolute blast. More fun than I've ever had in a car by myself.

The rest of the weekend will be available when I can get the time to put the videos together.

Cheers,
Chris

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Nice finish....lol

How does ProSolo work? Do they count time or the winner?

Your best time from both sides is your total time for the day.

If you DNF every time on one side but set a mind-blowing time on the other, tough toenails for you.

Because different classes sometimes run at the same time, it is based on PAX time only. This will become clear later when I get the Challenge video posted.

Stay tuned.

red11

Passed Driver's Ed
Great pictures, love this thread!

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Great pictures, love this thread!

Cool man, thanks! I wish the pictures were all mine, but at least it is another GTI person taking the really phenomenal pictures.

New videos should be up sometime this week, I think. Data analysis is showing that I really suck as a driver but the car is really fast.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Ax10: Firecracker Solo Day 2

Well, I finally got some video put together from the second day up in Oscoda. It was really a fun, fast course. But it also showed the limitations of the DSG transmission. I'd prefer it to have held the gear than to upshift. Oh well, I need to practice pulling the flappy-paddles I guess.

Enjoy...

Last edited: