GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bimmer635csi's Autocrosses

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Ax11: Nexteer warmup for new front tires

Just a small video of the fastest run I had yesterday.

I picked up a VW fan that wanted to see how the GTI was for an autocross. As you hear at the end of the video, he liked it and felt that his weight helped balance the car (as a joke).

Also, some chap thought my car was RacingManiac's. I could only hope to be that fast. But hey, I won RTF, so the speed is building. The wider fronts helped out a lot, but they are rubbing again, so I may need to take the spacers out and/or do the fender screw mod.

Anyway, here's the video of the fast run. Enjoy...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
What size are you running now on the front?

Also I haven't been cone dodging for a while, so I am probably slower now...lol

My next is next weekend at DCSCC/MSCC Belle Isle. I know you are not a fan of the format so I guess you won't be there.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
What size are you running now on the front?

Also I haven't been cone dodging for a while, so I am probably slower now...lol

My next is next weekend at DCSCC/MSCC Belle Isle. I know you are not a fan of the format so I guess you won't be there.

I have Direzza ZII 235/40/18s up front now. They are rated at 91W load, so they are still a tiny bit light on load rating, but much better than the 88W offered from the 225s.

I might have to wait until RE-11As are available in a 7.5" wheel size and move up to them. I'm pretty sure the Proxes R1Rs are out. I snapped a temp off of a Miata running them and he was 12°C colder than my Direzzas, and apparently the R1Rs don't like hot.

Next weekend I'm already booked on Sunday. I will either be on a test trip or at the company picnic in Comerica Park. I need some time off too. My whole body hurts from the last few weekends. But if we go to the baseball game, we'll try to get downtown early and see how things are running on Belle Isle first.

My next event will probably be the one at MSU on Aug 10 & 11. Still need to get good balance on the tire pressures, so I'll be tuning it up there.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Ax14 & Ax15: GLSS in Oscoda

Great weather for this event. Test & Tune on Friday allowed me to get the car dialled in much better than it had been in the past.

The results weren't so bad either. Was able to make some ground on the field in the season's points battle.

Enjoy.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Your autocrosses were held at an air force base?

It used to be an Air Force Base. But they still call it one. It is now a retirement home for 747 aircraft to be converted from passenger to cargo carriers.

It is kind of crazy to be prepping for the morning runs to hear a 747 take off at 7am less than 1/2 mile away from you.

Our autocrosses are on a pad that was used to prep B-52s for duty. Because of that, we are not allowed to camp on the grass due to some crazy de-icer they used back in the day.

But the pavement is really nice for what we use it for and I sleep at a hotel, so it doesn't bother me.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
^^ Sounds like it's a pretty cool site. Just watched the vid, nice runs.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Ax16: MSCC on Belle Isle

I didn't feel well with a head cold or sinus infection. But that didn't keep me from winning TGS class.

Still lost on PAX to my fierce competitors from SCCA who were probably here scoping this surface much like I was. Oh well, need to practice more.

Anyway, here's the video minus the winning run (sinus infection affects memory?)

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Here's the latest video.

Last run of the season for the Great Lakes Solo Series.

Also happened to be the last points event for the Cincinnati region of SCCA.

They had a very well run event. Five runs on a 60-ish second course for 114 cars.

My sister visited during the race and rode shotgun for my best 2 runs. I need to send her a better birthday present next year I guess.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Ah dag-nabbit! My video/data system (or the operator of said system) had a malfunction yesterday so I don't have any movies of the winning run for the RTF class.

Oh well, can't win 'em all. There might be some other videos later, but hey, I'll take a win over a video anyday. RacingManiac tried to win by running cones over, which didn't help his times, but that saved my butt. Sorry bud!

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
No video of your triumph? That sucks...

That was an awesome win with really stiff competition on a pretty epic course(there were 3 parts of the the course the DSG legitimately needed 3rd), winning time by Chris was ~87 sec.

Came damn close to stealing it from you on my last run though....too bad...LOL

I'll have my vid in my thread...

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
There is some video (taken by my mother standing outside of the car) at the end of this "more for fun" video.

Is it just me, or does the course shape look like a Pelican?

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Ax19] DRSCCA Season Ender

Well, this was a great end to a tough season.

I didn't win the RTF class, but I did win this and the last event. I have a great set up for the car now (but it would be terrible on the track because the car rotates very easily).

And I got some new software for editing videos, which makes for some interesting production.

I guess it will be a while before there's another update here since it was 39 deg F this morning and the snow will be flying soon.

Check back in May.