GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FrankenTurbo F23T Review and build thread.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I dont know if this has been brought up yet, but alot of Golf R guys are getting good results with UM. I'm not sure if they're working on TSI's yet but it's worth a try.

Don't know if it's true but I heard they are working on it

I can't imagine they aren't

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Well, this blows.

I wonder what the word is over at DM.
http://drivermotorsport.com/mk6 k04 & frankenturbo.html
I'm guessing we won't see anything from anyone anytime soon.

To top it off, my car decided to start misbehaving again. Boost control is completely fucked. Gonna try to hook up the n75 and run the MBC parallel to turn boost down to ~20 pounds, control spikes and retain ECU controlled boost to an extent. I hope this works so I can hold off for GIAC, if it fails I'll probably go Eurodyne.

Turb02

Ready to race!
^ Im with you. Id rather go GIAC as theres a shop local to me. Sorry to hear the timetables didnt turn in your favor Rotary.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
All right....good times.

So as everyone knows I was having the issues with the tunes, yes tunes, controlling boost correctly. So far this is what has been done.

-N75 bypassed with MBC. Turbo is now spooling correctly. Eliminates the wastegate and turbo itself as the problem.

-N75 replaced (F23 comes with OEM Pierburg) problem persists.

-Monday will troubleshoot potential blockage in vacuum lines and/or damage to N75 wire harness.

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
Monday will troubleshoot potential blockage in vacuum lines and/or damage to N75 wire harness.

C.Tapp at Eurodyne suggested the possibility that the vacuum line which re-circulates boost from the N75 into the inlet might be kinked or otherwise blocked. That's an interesting theory. If the N75 were unable to divert boost away from the turbo, then it couldn't get much more from it than the actuator spring would allow. I've never heard of this happening, but anything's possible at this point.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Another member suggested a off possibility that it could be intake manifold related. Possibly the intake and or throttle body being dirty. I do have miles on the car but I don't think that would cause the weird boost patterns.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
So I reconnected the n75 and ran a MBC parallel to it like so:

If anybody has k04 software and an F23T I suggest you do this. With the n75 hooked up and no MBC it'll spike 27+ psi which is dangerous, with the MBC running parallel you can lower boost while still using the n75 to control it to an extent. Right now I hit 20 psi by 3k, slowly climb to 23 psi by 4k, and gradually taper back down to about 20. Car runs like a champ, no denying it's faster than my k04. I think I'm gonna hit the dyno as is.

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
So I reconnected the n75 and ran a MBC parallel to it like so:

If anybody has k04 software and an F23T I suggest you do this. With the n75 hooked up and no MBC it'll spike 27+ psi which is dangerous, with the MBC running parallel you can lower boost while still using the n75 to control it to an extent. Right now I hit 20 psi by 3k, slowly climb to 23 psi by 4k, and gradually taper back down to about 20. Car runs like a champ, no denying it's faster than my k04. I think I'm gonna hit the dyno as is.

This is the exact configuration we suggest to all folks considering the F23T on the "wrong software". Just as the poster described, this hardware will net you the best combo of power and drivability short of a full re-flash.

Let's see some logs if you can!

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Good Man, What was wrong at the end ?

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Not 100% yet....but AU pulled off the vent hose from the N75 to the turbo inlet. Capped the turbo side and let the N75 vent out to atmosphere. Car is now creating boost above actuator setting. Opps hit 27psi dropping to 25 but all is good! Boost is here again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's either the hose or something clogging the nipple. Have to get under the car and look but all is right in the world again. #randomproblemsthatdontcostanythingbuttimeandfrustration

That means tuning can resume. Dave is going to log the car this weekend and we'll get another file from Eurodyne.

rcuppernall

Ready to race!
Not 100% yet....but AU pulled off the vent hose from the N75 to the turbo inlet. Capped the turbo side and let the N75 vent out to atmosphere. Car is now creating boost above actuator setting. Opps hit 27psi dropping to 25 but all is good! Boost is here again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's either the hose or something clogging the nipple. Have to get under the car and look but all is right in the world again. #randomproblemsthatdontcostanythingbuttimeandfrustration

That means tuning can resume. Dave is going to log the car this weekend and we'll get another file from Eurodyne.

Yayyyyyyy!!!!

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
CrossfitCup- Have you tried throwing a MBC in parallel temporarily? Ha I couldn't even do that since the N75 was totally blocked.

I haven't been able to drive it but from what AU said boost has never come on this quickly hahaha. Damn random problem.

rcuppernall

Ready to race!
CrossfitCup- Have you tried throwing a MBC in parallel temporarily? Ha I couldn't even do that since the N75 was totally blocked.

I haven't been able to drive it but from what AU said boost has never come on this quickly hahaha. Damn random problem.

I'm doing it tomorrow. I have the ko4 software now. Can't wait to see what it does running at 22psi. You can just feel that the turbo wants more, so this should be awesome. I will get some runs done if everything feels good