GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

color matched side markers

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
talk about reviving a dead thread...

I am going to revive this dead thread once more since I havent found an answer to this yet.

Has anyone tried to paint these with just a bottle of touch up paint? I am curious to see how well that would work or if it would chip easier or look like shit?

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
I am going to revive this dead thread once more since I havent found an answer to this yet.

Has anyone tried to paint these with just a bottle of touch up paint? I am curious to see how well that would work or if it would chip easier or look like shit?

I'll let you know when the weather is in the 50's in Ohio. I bought some touch up spray paint a clear. I have another set of OEM side markers coming in the mail waiting for paint.

corydd

Go Kart Champion

I used http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ paint for my rear emblem and side markers. Perfect candy white color match. Just make sure you sand properly with some fine grit, then prime, shoot, and clear.

Some pics:

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
I used http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ paint for my rear emblem and side markers. Perfect candy white color match. Just make sure you sand properly with some fine grit, then prime, shoot, and clear.

Some pics:

Awesome! Thank you. Did you buy the bottle of touch up or the aerosol spray paint can?

As far as primer and clear coat go, where did you purchase those, home depot or an auto store like pep boys?

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Awesome! Thank you. Did you buy the bottle of touch up or the aerosol spray paint can?

As far as primer and clear coat go, where did you purchase those, home depot or an auto store like pep boys?

I got the aerosol spray can, primer, and clear coat all from that site. Quality stuff.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion

I used primer and clear from AutoZone - it works fine and its a lot cheaper than getting from autotouchup or where ever you get your colormatch from .

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
I got the aerosol spray can, primer, and clear coat all from that site. Quality stuff.

Thanks again! Now I really feel like an idiot for buying the smoked ones off of Ebay only for $40 and one does not fit right. I could have done this for $40+ shipping for which includes the clear coat, primer, paint and an assorted pack of sandpaper.

Next I will see how much the body shop next door to me will charge to do the same thing.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie

did you get the clear plastic adhension promoter and a sandable color primer or just a colored primer? also how fine of a sandpaper did you use.. i am going to attempt to paint my sidemarkers..

corydd

Go Kart Champion
did you get the clear plastic adhension promoter and a sandable color primer or just a colored primer? also how fine of a sandpaper did you use.. i am going to attempt to paint my sidemarkers..

We didn't use the adhesion promoter, we used sandable primer with 400 grit sandpaper.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the help!

I just went to the body shop that is actually right next door to me, and he said he would do them for $50. So I will be going that route instead of buying all the supplies and doing it myself. He will probably be much better and quicker than I am.

Anyone want to buy some smoked side markers for $20 plus shipping?

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for all the help!

I just went to the body shop that is actually right next door to me, and he said he would do them for $50. So I will be going that route instead of buying all the supplies and doing it myself. He will probably be much better and quicker than I am.

Anyone want to buy some smoked side markers for $20 plus shipping?

Hmmm.. Maybe.. Where did you buy yours from? Used? Any damage? I'm local ny also..

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Hmmm.. Maybe.. Where did you buy yours from? Used? Any damage? I'm local ny also..

Mine were brand new off of Ebay. The driver side one is a perfect fit, but the passenger side one slightly sticks out in one corner. It is barely noticable, but I am OCD with that kind of stuff. Nobody else will notice it. I paid around $35 for them and I kept the original bulbs installed.

Heres some up close pics (sorry its dark and the car is filthy):

Passenger side:
As you can see, you can hardly notice that it sticks out a tiny bit. Its the top left corner that sticks out.

Drivers side:

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Mine were brand new off of Ebay. The driver side one is a perfect fit, but the passenger side one slightly sticks out in one corner. It is barely noticable, but I am OCD with that kind of stuff. Nobody else will notice it. I paid around $35 for them and I kept the original bulbs installed.

Heres some up close pics (sorry its dark and the car is filthy):

Passenger side:
As you can see, you can hardly notice that it sticks out a tiny bit. Its the top left corner that sticks out.

Drivers side:

Kinda hard to tell the diff. Between the 2 picks.. What color was your car CSG or black?

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Kinda hard to tell the diff. Between the 2 picks.. What color was your car CSG or black?

Car is CSG. Yeah, like I said, it is very hard to notice and you have to look pretty close.